Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Saturn Sky  (Read 16460 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Saturn Sky
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:30:01 pm »
Test Drive:
2007 Saturn Sky

2007 Saturn SkyEquipped with the optional 5-speed automatic transmission, the Saturn Sky "is a lover, not a fighter," says Brian Early. "What the bold looks promise, and what the Sky can deliver, are two different things," he says.  "Automatics and sports cars don't tend to compliment one another, and the Sky is no exception. It's made worse by the omission of any real manual shift capability," he says.      More...

a4_tom

Re: CD Article: 2007 Saturn Sky
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:40:03 pm »
How come every "First Drive" posted in the same day as I checked out those cars a couple of hours ago? :rofl: :rofl:

I prefer Sky's interior materials and styling over Solstice. Saturn just looks sleeker and interior materials are of higher quality. But MX-5 Miata is just too damn perfect for those Kappa cars to chase, given its 16 years evolution of a wonderful execution. :bow: :bow:

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:59:52 am »
Automatic on a car like this is tragic.

Can't wait to drive the 260 hp version though...that should be an interesting drive.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 07:21:39 am »
It is not clear to me why one would buy one rather than a Mx5 or even a Golf GTI

no trunk space, no power and IMHO not terribly attractive. From the article I just cant see any compelling reason to choose one over a Mazda for a 2 seater  or over a GTI for a "my-toy-is-my-only-car driving" if one could live with only a sunroof.

I think it might be rather nasty to drive on a really bad TO road  with those 245/45/18 tires... I bet it would tramline all over the place and you just know that the cost of winters in that size will mean that people who drive that car in the winter will NOT have winters and be in the ditch.... oh well
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 07:36:50 am »
MX-5 is the better car for sure, I've driven both said vehicle and the Solstice. While the Solstice did surprise me in a positive way with it's driving dynamics, it's still not quite up to par with the mazda. The Solxtice felt heavier.

I prefer the styling of the Sky to the Solstice.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 07:59:50 am »
It is not clear to me why one would buy one rather than a Mx5 or even a Golf GTI

no trunk space, no power and IMHO not terribly attractive. From the article I just cant see any compelling reason to choose one over a Mazda for a 2 seater  or over a GTI for a "my-toy-is-my-only-car driving" if one could live with only a sunroof.

I think it might be rather nasty to drive on a really bad TO road  with those 245/45/18 tires... I bet it would tramline all over the place and you just know that the cost of winters in that size will mean that people who drive that car in the winter will NOT have winters and be in the ditch.... oh well

The Solstice's ride  isn't as jittery on the road or the line upset by poor road surfaces and the steering isn't as nervous. Acceleration is a wash as far as I'm concerned. And I love the styling, the MX-5's styling is just about "meh"

But whatever floats your boat.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 09:48:18 am »
How come every "First Drive" posted in the same day as I checked out those cars a couple of hours ago? :rofl: :rofl:

I prefer Sky's interior materials and styling over Solstice. Saturn just looks sleeker and interior materials are of higher quality. But MX-5 Miata is just too damn perfect for those Kappa cars to chase, given its 16 years evolution of a wonderful execution. :bow: :bow:
I'm with you on this one. I can appreciate the interesting design, which is something of a risk from GM, but still don't get how this is going to compete against the Miata (call me sentimental - I'll never get the MX-5 moniker) - especially with no trunk. At least one can get away to the golf course or off for a weekend with your spouse/partner - try and to that in the Sky/Soltice, and you are in for one heck of a shock to find you are without a trunk  ???
JWW

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +180/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 10:11:30 am »
I think the writer sums it up pretty well by saying "If you plan on driving your car - really driving it; multiple-day road trips, autocrossing, or my-toy-is-my-only-car driving - then Mazda's more practical, better executed, better aftermarket-supported MX-5 is the way to go." 

When the two best arguments for buying the Kappa cars are a) styling and/or b) it's American-made... well, I think we all know what kind of actual driving experience will be.

I hope to be able to take a Redline or Solstice GXP for a rip when they come out.  Until then... I have no desire to drive the Kappas.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 10:19:58 am »
All you complainers of no cargo space... it has 2 cubic feet guys!  sheesh ;)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 12:17:00 pm »
Saw a Sky in this exact same colour/packaging yesterday as the sun was setting - It's knockout gorgeous!!! Absolutely fantastic head-turner.

I much prefer the piano black and materials of the Sky over the Solstice's rather industrial looking cabin. Both look decently constructed.

That said, nearly everything else about the car takes a backseat to the MX-5 Miata. And with the new hardtop convertible coming, Mazda just keeps getting better.

Still, the styling of the Sky with bright paint and chromed alloys is breathtaking IMO.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 10:02:03 am »
I like the more 'classic roadster' look of the Solstice better.  The Sky is a sweet looking car, but I think it'll look dated in a few years compared to the Solstice.  They really do need to do something about the trunk space tho.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 10:20:13 am »
When the 260 HP engine becomes available, then the Solstice/Sky will fare better in a comparison with the MX-5 even when considering their higher price. That will make the GM cars niche cars as there will be no competition for them. Sure their lack of storage space will remain but their performance will help swallow that serious shortcoming.

It has been written many times the MX-5 is driveable and actually enjoyable in the winter and is a great tourer car. The Solstice/Sky are more summer commuter (if only have a briefcase to carry around) and single day trip cars for the enthusiasts which can also be used for some errands on sunny days.

IMO it makes for sense to buy the Solstice/Sky with the 260 HP engine as a second car as long as HP/Torque is highest on the priorities list. Otherwise, the MX-5 seems the better choice.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 10:21:41 am »
They will be competing with cars like the S2000, Z4, Boxster  For a few thousand less.  Still might be tough.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 10:22:13 am »
Saw my first Sky today. It was bright Yellow with chromed wheels and was unbelievably shiny. It looked like someone was taking it for a test drive. I don't know if I liked the colour and wheels, but I definately do like the design. Very sharp looking car.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-633
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:06 am »
When the 260 HP engine becomes available, then the Solstice/Sky will fare better in a comparison with the MX-5 even when considering their higher price.

They will be competing with cars like the S2000, Z4, Boxster For a few thousand less. Still might be tough.

From the article the price as tested was $38,120.  How much more would the 260hp version cost?  Price it too high and it will be in a really tough market.

Mr Meow

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:12 am »
The guy who own saturn garage lives in my road. He had Sky last night parked out on the front my house. Looks like a really sweet set of wheel. I'm charging the digtal camara right now. If he brings it home (he brings home a different car every night) I shall get some pics and post, He normal brings home and parks Saabs.

I not sure the market can bare that $31,665 price tag. I think at 21K it would sell. 31K its a lot of Mula. No matter how nice the sky is.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:47:55 am by Mr Meow »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +180/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 01:31:52 pm »
When the 260 HP engine becomes available, then the Solstice/Sky will fare better in a comparison with the MX-5 even when considering their higher price. That will make the GM cars niche cars as there will be no competition for them. Sure their lack of storage space will remain but their performance will help swallow that serious shortcoming.

It has been written many times the MX-5 is driveable and actually enjoyable in the winter and is a great tourer car. The Solstice/Sky are more summer commuter (if only have a briefcase to carry around) and single day trip cars for the enthusiasts which can also be used for some errands on sunny days.

IMO it makes for sense to buy the Solstice/Sky with the 260 HP engine as a second car as long as HP/Torque is highest on the priorities list. Otherwise, the MX-5 seems the better choice.

.... True... until the next generation Mazdaspeed MX-5 is released in another couple of years.  ;)

Having said that, there are a few grumbling reports coming up on the Miata forums that the current (new) generation MX5 is struggling in the Stock class at AutoX against the appropriately optioned-out Kappa cars.  A 'club spec' Solstice is apparently a pretty formidible competitor.  I'm told it's a completely different story with slightly modded versions wherein the Mazda starts to walk-away from the GM sisters, but it is pretty sad that Mazda didn't give the right parts to make the NC MX5 competitive right out of the box (at least with appropriate options, trim levels available for those who do wish to campaign their cars).  Mazda has softened up the suspension (and raised it up for Euro pedestrian laws) to appeal to a broader market and in so doing, has detracted some of the die-hard race-ready machine within. 

The Miata may be a "chick car", but I just read the other day that there are more Miatas registered for racing in the states (presumably SCCA) than any other model.  It's widely regarded as the ultimate in affordable race machines.  Losing that title to the heavier, slower Solstice / Sky is tragic for Mazda as they are supposedly trying to make it more 'manly' and aggressive. 

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 01:49:58 pm »

I not sure the market can bare that $31,665 price tag. I think at 21K it would sell. 31K its a lot of Mula. No matter how nice the sky is.

??? Why would Saturn want to sell it at 21K?

Offline amorak

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 BMW 3-series 328i xDrive, 2014 Infiniti QX60
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 02:03:24 pm »

A)  You must be poor to think $30,000 is a lot of money for a car.

B)  Saturn is sold out of Sky's for the next year

C)  How the hell do you think they could afford to sell this thing @ 21k?

D)  Are you in 4th grade?

Mr Meow

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 07:47:56 pm »
OK around 24 Its a bit more realistic. A Mazda MX 5 is 28 and we know aready its the better car. So I think selling these Skys cheap. Might bring more people into the saturn showrooms to look at saturn product who might not necessary think about a Saturn. Its a draw car really. Your not going to sell many of them anyways. Cause no one right now thinks of Saturn as sexy brand.

At the end of the day which would you rather have The MX5 or a Sky. If sky were a lot cheaper more people would pehaps buy a Sky if they are in the market for a 2 seater sports car.