Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Hyundai Entourage GL with Comfort Package  (Read 12364 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Hyundai Entourage GL with Comfort Package
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:15:02 pm »
Test Drive:
2007 Hyundai Entourage GL with Comfort Package

2007 Hyundai Entourage GL w/ Comfort PackageEntourage GL with Comfort Package
Minivans are family work trucks, which makes their price-tag an important consideration, says Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh. Hyundai takes it into account with the 2007 Entourage, its first foray into the minivan market. It has a "firm ride" and "a fair bit of road noise", but offers features and long-wheelbase capacity for the price of some shorter competitors.      More...

a4_tom

Re: CD Article: 2007 Hyundai Entourage GL with Comfort Package
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:25:05 pm »
Speaking of dealership experience, Hyundai's new showrooms really make you feel like a tier-1 brand while Kia still feels tier-3. Many Kia showrooms still built around those used car compounds here. :-\

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 07:39:37 am »
This looks like yet another winner for Hyundai.  I prefer the styling of the Entourage over the Sedona.   :thumbup:

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 07:45:48 am »
This looks like yet another winner for Hyundai.  I prefer the styling of the Entourage over the Sedona.   :thumbup:

I think I prefer the styling of the Sedona more, but to each his own. I agree this this should be another competitive winner for Hyundai though.

As to dealership experience I think the Kia dealer I went to a while back was probably one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I knew more about their products than they did, they kept trying to lie about the specifications of their cars to make them seem better, they criticized MY car, and questioned whether my driver's licence was fake or not  ::)  :thumbdown:

I haven't been to a Hyundai showroom in a while, but I hear the newer showrooms are much improved over the old ones.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:26:33 am »
  Good report. Entirely agree with your manual shifting feature comment. These things are a wasted effort on all automatics in my opinion, they seem to pervade however. Had one on an Intrepid Sport and like you say used it a couple of times in ten years.
  I have a Hyundai sub compact at present; it being the first of this company for us and I must say we are delighted with it. The van seems to be a good looking product but pricey. Why are manufacturers moving away from the column shift? Putting a stick in between the seats restricts movement. What is wrong with the column shift? I hear that Chrysler are moving away from the column shift now seemingly to be in line with the rest. Hmm.. Why not ditch the nonsense and provide useful things like remote opening quiet rear vents on basic versions,to pull ventilation through the vehicle. Maybe useful things don't sell.
Regards

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:31:02 am »
Intrepid Sport? Isn't that an oxymoron?  :rofl2:

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:53:01 am »
You know, if I was in the market for a minivan I think the Entourage would be it (well, if I needed more room than a Mazda5 that is  :P)

I do prefer it more than the Sedona (really, very slight differences, but if we're taking sides) and here in Ontario too the new Hyundai dealerships are nice and fresh and large while the Kia shops are just that, dinky decrepid shops. I'm sure that will change, but I do perceive Hyundai as having higher quality, image, and service (generally have their act together more). Plus, I've had experience with Hyundais and had little to complain about.

The van seems to have the right features at less cost than the Japanese vans, good looks, and similar room. If it's drum tight (I'd be checking for rattles) and has similar fuel economy numbers, why not? Maybe won't have quite the same resale value, but I actually see it as a more desirable vehicle and I'd take a 'chance' as some would make it out to be on the Entourage.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

a4_tom

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 11:17:22 am »
Intrepid Sport? Isn't that an oxymoron? :rofl2:

Like those Explorer Sport, F150 Sport, Ram Sport, Neon Sport? :rofl:

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 11:29:51 am »
Hyundai just keep continuing to impress each and every time out of the gate in the past couple of years. I love the updated look and feel of the dealerships, and appreciate the quality of the personnell that they are hiring. Shopping Hyundai is a very nice experience indeed. I know that Pathway Hyundai in Orleans are moving plenty of cars off the lot these days. Their "awaiting-delivery-for-today" line at the side of the building always has at least two or three cars all shined up waiting for pickup.

The Entourage has a nicer feel inside than the Kia, I think. The Sportronic is simply a gimic to get sales (I have used it the obligatory three of four times on my Sonata since purchasing) - and it's working. But with Hyundai's price point, one could hardly argue that you are paying extra for it.
JWW

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 11:33:43 am »
Like those Explorer Sport, F150 Sport, Ram Sport, Neon Sport? :rofl:

Don't forget Windstar Sport  ;)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 11:58:04 am »
oh, and the Fit Sport too!  :run:

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 11:59:21 am »
oh, and the Fit Sport too!  :run:

True, that's why we got the LX

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 11:59:55 am »
OK sports, enough already. The car was a familly hauler but there was nothing unsporting about the Mustang crushing 6cyl. 3.5 overhead cam engine. If that is what turns you on. Back to topic.
We find that the air conditioning in our Caravan works very well in windshield de-mist mode with the rear vents open. But because the version with remote opening rear vents only came with other stuff at a price we could not afford we did not get this option. So you forget to open the vents when you get in and then you have to stop to do it. In de-mist mode the air conditioning is cycled on and off we found and provides just the right amount of cool when you are going with the rear vents open to pull the air through. Surely a feature like rear remote vents is of far more value than a manual gear change feature that is never used.
Regards.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:23:02 pm by Rupert »

Mike

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 12:37:40 pm »
PS - that 5-yr "comprehensive" warranty only includes 1-year, 20k on the A/C - a little misleading don't you think?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 01:09:43 pm »
PS - that 5-yr "comprehensive" warranty only includes 1-year, 20k on the A/C - a little misleading don't you think?

I'm curious, where did you read that?

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 01:22:38 pm »
A friend of a freind has the new Kia Sedona.   It pulls to the right and has a shimmy coming from the front.  Kia has rebalanced the wheel and put it on the alignment rack, but to no avail.  

They are now scratching their head as how to fix the problem.  They also recognized to this owner that he is not the only one who has this problem and that they are hoping for a solution from head office.  Not particularly confidence inspiring.  

My friend who co-drove the van on a road trip past Quebec City liked it at first, but after driving it (and fighting to keep it going straight for hours on end) he pretty much put it into the POS category.  
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 01:46:21 pm »
Give them a few months. They'll get it right.

a4_tom

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 07:37:27 pm »
Its the 1st year of a new model, so teething quality problems are expected.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 11:18:53 pm »
Its the 1st year of a new model, so teething quality problems are expected.

I'm not sure I would classify this as a teething problem.  A vehicle that when the driver takes their hands off the wheel and it ends up heading for the ditch or another lane of traffic is serious safety concern.  That the dealer (manufacturer) is unable to fix the problem is also very troubling.  A 1st year buyer should never have to resign themselves with having to deal with something like this no matter where on the automotive food chain they happen to occupy. 

The van looks nice enough though...       

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 09:51:32 am »
I'm not sure I would classify this as a teething problem.  A vehicle that when the driver takes their hands off the wheel and it ends up heading for the ditch or another lane of traffic is serious safety concern.  That the dealer (manufacturer) is unable to fix the problem is also very troubling.  A 1st year buyer should never have to resign themselves with having to deal with something like this no matter where on the automotive food chain they happen to occupy. 

Well - I had this with my 2002 Altima - and it took the dealer 18 months to sort out - under warranty after I kicked up a stink. Not that this is acceptable, just pointing out that this isn't restricted to Kia, or Hyundai, or GM, or anyone imparticular for that matter.