Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi  (Read 16570 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi
« on: July 04, 2006, 10:30:02 pm »
Test Drive:
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombiWith great looks to go along with the extra cargo space, the new Saab 9-3 SportCombi is "a practical wagon done right," says Chris Chase. Its turbocharged 2.8-litre V6 pumps out 250 horsepower but that power produces some torque-steer, says Chase.  The SportCombi is priced competitively, he says, but an all-wheel drive model is not available.    More...

Jameel

Re: CD Article: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 01:20:30 am »
Nice car I've liked the looks of this wagon ever since I saw it last year. If I had a family to haul around this would be on the top of my list (and if I could afford it, of course  ;D).

Offline Prius

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 02:09:16 am »
I love the styling.. one of the better styled wagons (along with the 9-5 and Mazda6 Sport wagon). I wished they kept the "crystal ice" rear taillight design of the concept car. Oh well.

The packaging is weird, making it seem almost mandatory to go for the Aero model to get the necessary luxury features not found on the base Linear model.

There's something about a Saab that's distinctively different. Could be the grille, could be the ignition, could be the Black Panel feature. Would I buy one? depends on which stage of my life I'm in :)
2010 Prius Technology Package
LED ext./int. lights, 5000K HID low beams, OEM foglights, mudguards, USDM cargo mat

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:29:39 am »
It's a beautiful looking wagon. But I'm one that is glad that they didn't keep the clear tail lights from the concept. There's already too many cars around like that and it doesn't compliment the car IMO.

The cargo space looks to be pretty big in the pics. Maybe Dwayne can fill us in on his experiences so far?

Howswedeitis

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:36:17 am »
I'd trade in my Volvo V70 in a heartbeat for this ride. I can't see how the Saab is any less 'solid'
than the BMW or Volvo seeing as crash test results for the 9-3 sedan have been outstanding.
To be sure, some torsional rigidity is lost in the wagon but I don't think it's enough to make a real difference. Saab pioneered the 'combi' or hatchback concept back in the late '50's and I am sure
glad they finally brought it back since this car makes a whole lot of sense; fast, practical and a style
that will not be dated anytime soon.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:06:42 am »
Since its based on the 9-3 which is an older platform they could mean its less solid "feeling" than say a V50 based on a brand new platform.

Its a nice package in terms of cargo space. it looks great. But the platform is a generation behind. No AWD is a major sin compared to competition and Saab's brutal depreciation make it unattractive unless they come with the usual GM mega rebates/sdiscount to make it much cheaper than the competition.

a4_tom

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 09:56:52 am »
I don't think you can called it an "aging" platform compares to V50.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 12:15:08 pm »
The ice tail lights are on the production versions in Europe, just not here supposedly for legal reasons.

I think this wagon looks fantastic. I'm very susprised by the author's figures for cargo space with the seats down. MORE than the V70? Find that very, very hard to believe. Heck, even the sloping rear end would prove less versatile, but the length of the V70 or Passat (which isn't mentioned for roominess) appear longer. Does look accomodating in the photos though.

Nice, nice piece. Dwayne, hope you're enjoying!
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Todd Van

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 01:43:19 pm »
Nice car. But he states that the "lone" Japanese entry is the Subaru Legacy. Hmm really....what about the Mazda6 Wagon!? As far as design is concerned the "6" is one of the nicest looking Japanese cars around, wagon or sedan. And you'd be hard pressed to spend more then 35,000 on one. Sounds like the best deal around to me.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 02:23:55 pm »
Nice car. But he states that the "lone" Japanese entry is the Subaru Legacy. Hmm really....what about the Mazda6 Wagon!? As far as design is concerned the "6" is one of the nicest looking Japanese cars around, wagon or sedan. And you'd be hard pressed to spend more then 35,000 on one. Sounds like the best deal around to me.

Agreed, The Mazda6 Wagon is an excellent option in this class. I am surprised it was missed as one of the competition, perhaps this board should proofread future publications. :)

SaabKen

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 02:25:39 pm »
It seems quite odd that we're more than half way into 2006 and this review is of a MY'06 9-3SC, when the first drive of this vehicle was done almost exactly a year ago:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/06sportcombi.htm

Meanwhile the MY'07 9-3s will be coming out very shortly, with new exterior colours, 6-spd manual gearbox across the entire range, significant interior changes and feature additions.

C'mon guys, stay on top of Saab !
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 02:32:33 pm by SaabKen »

SaabKen

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 02:28:26 pm »
Not only that, Mazda 6 offers the only 4-dr true hatchback out there in the midsize segment, a niche that used to be dominated by Saab.

a4_tom

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 04:02:33 pm »
5-door hatchback Mazda6 has driven many Saab loyalists away due to its sporty dynamics and European character. The introduction of SportCombi could sway some back to Saab fold though.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 04:55:11 pm »
Since its based on the 9-3 which is an older platform they could mean its less solid "feeling" than say a V50 based on a brand new platform.

Its a nice package in terms of cargo space. it looks great. But the platform is a generation behind. No AWD is a major sin compared to competition and Saab's brutal depreciation make it unattractive unless they come with the usual GM mega rebates/sdiscount to make it much cheaper than the competition.

I've driven the V50 and to be frank it's not all that impressive. That being said, the Saab 9-3 platform is just as rigid and again from a crash worthyness perspective it's truly tops. As for depreciation you're quite right although the 2003 and up 9-3 has done much to reverse that trend (used 9-3s are no longer the bargain they once were).
All my Saabs (3 of them) were all purchased used because they made such amazing used car deals.
A Saab story I know!

robarakira

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 07:29:06 pm »
I remember Saab saying they had to change the rear taillights from this

as in europe because of our regulations...

but the RX330 gets by fine, with little reflectors at the bottom like the 9-3 pictured.

ghost

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 07:33:30 pm »
It would be interesting when my lease on the 92x Aero is done in a few years. Would I go for a SportCombi? Don't know. We much prefer the A4 Avant and 3-series Touring. Failing that we'd opt for the Legacy GT wagon.
Mazda6 wagon never strikes me to be in the same class as the rest of the field. It's more of regular car. Not very upscale to me. Sporty and nice it is though. Maybe in the same class as a Dodge Magnum?

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 10:50:55 pm »

Agreed, The Mazda6 Wagon is an excellent option in this class. I am surprised it was missed as one of the competition, perhaps this board should proofread future publications. :)

Ooops! You guys are right. The article's been updated to add the Mazda6 wagon. Thanks for keeping us on our toes.  ;D
I used to work here.

a4_tom

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 11:18:03 pm »
9-3 is a more fun-to-drive and tossable car than S40/V50 twin, as always Saab cars are better driver's cars than Volvo.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 12:13:02 am »
I've driven the V50 and to be frank it's not all that impressive. That being said, the Saab 9-3 platform is just as rigid and again from a crashworthiness perspective it's truly tops. As for depreciation you're quite right although the 2003 and up 9-3 has done much to reverse that trend (used 9-3s are no longer the bargain they once were).
All my Saabs (3 of them) were all purchased used because they made such amazing used car deals.
A Saab story I know!

I find some of the Saab interior parts flimsy .

The Epsilon platform Shared by the 9-3 Malibu has been around how long now? Certainly a lot longer than the V50/S40 platform.

I certainly would not disagree that the Saab is more of a driver's car than the merely competent V50. I would have little trouble choosing to lease a Sport Combi over my current V50. They simply were not available at the time.

Offline Prius

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 02:15:47 am »
I remember Saab saying they had to change the rear taillights from this

as in europe because of our regulations...

but the RX330 gets by fine, with little reflectors at the bottom like the 9-3 pictured.

Exactly, that's the kinda lights that make it look cool... Yeah, it's not "clear" like the RX but it's different

Ghost, what about a Passat wagon?