Author Topic: CD Article: Chrysler LH Sedans, 1998-2004  (Read 16557 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Chrysler LH Sedans, 1998-2004
« on: June 28, 2006, 10:25:35 pm »
Used Car Review:
Chrysler LH Sedans, 1998-2004

2002 Chrysler ConcordeChrysler Intrepid, 300M, LHS and Concorde
When they were redesigned for the 1998 model year, these roomy, front-wheel drive full-size Chrysler 'LH' sedans were available with three V6 engines, but Used Car Reviewer Chris Chase recommends avoiding the problematic 2.7-litre V6.  Some LH sedans also experienced problems with automatic transmissions and power seats and windows. If you shop around, a well-maintained LH car can be found for a surprisingly low price, he notes.     More...

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Re: CD Article: Chrysler LH Sedans, 1998-2004
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:51:54 am »
This thread has good timing, right when there's a thread started in the "moan n whine" section about someone paying $1200 to get their 4 year old Concorde fixed with only 64 K kms on it  :rofl:

A friend of mine had a 2000 concorde. To this day he says that he doesn't regret a lot, but that was the decision that he most regretted. He said it looked and drove like a boat and he got rid of it asap because of so many problems. Traded it for a Mazda3 and is happy that he did  :)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 03:22:54 pm »
  I had a Chrysler Intrepid 1997 model and can only say that I was very satisfied with the product. I wanted to buy one off the lot with a 3.3 engine in it but the only one they had left was a purple colour that we did not like, so we settled for a spruce green one with a 3.5 engine in it for about $1000 more. However it came with a few extras on it like power seat and auto stick (worked well but useless) tried it a couple of times, should have put the money into better seat material. I bought the car because I had a growing familly and needed a large car and this was just that. I did not need 220 hp. but these were the last of the 97s; the revised 98s were arriving and I was able to save some money. You dont buy a vehicle this size and this price level and expect it to handle like a sports car (comparing a Concord to a Mazda 3. is hardly reasonable  in this department) All that I can say is that it handled well enough to make it very satisfactory. It had a little higher requirement for brake maintenance. The motor was very smooth and powerful right up to when it was sold after almost ten years of use and 160,000 km. Everything worked on the vehicle with the exception of the air conditioner which did not pump out much cold air after the end of the previous summer; I sold it in January. Even the battery was the one that came with the new vehicle. All in all it was a very valued possession and transported my familly safely and myself to work every day for the whole time that we had it. It never let us down and always looked nice. Even now those vehicles don't look much dated. I thought that the 'T' drive engine layout was a good configuration but note that they have gone to rear wheel drive on later 300s with an intrusive propshaft tunnel and poorer traction. I guess they had to make something that looked like a truck.
Regards.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:55:01 pm »
Article doesn't mention the very weak autotrannies or the engine sludge issues of the 2.7L V6. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 12:13:20 pm »
Article doesn't mention the very weak autotrannies or the engine sludge issues of the 2.7L V6. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Really?

As with many Chrysler products from this era, automatic transmission problems were common. Some problems have been linked to faulty electronic sensors and others result from plain old mechanical failures.

The 2.7-litre V6 is known for being somewhat problematic...
I used to work here.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 11:54:06 pm »
Really?

hmmm ... seems like this reader is an idiot.  :-[

love your columns btw  8)

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 01:21:22 am »
hmmm ... seems like this reader is an idiot.  :-[

love your columns btw  8)

Bahaha, no, you're not an idiot. Your taste in used car columns is too good. ;) All I can hope is that they prove useful to someone.

Mr Meow

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 10:22:30 am »
These cars are like beautiful  women all show and will bring you nothing but headache and misery on your wallet.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 02:04:32 pm »
How many of the authors of the negative comments here actually owned one of these vehicles.

Offline haris

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 02:53:41 pm »
Bahaha, no, you're not an idiot. Your taste in used car columns is too good. ;) All I can hope is that they prove useful to someone.
Oh, more than you know, they're very useful.
As for the Chrysler LH sedans, I really dislike them and the whole "cab forward" Chrysler generation of cars.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 10:56:21 pm »
  What does 'cab forward' mean. It seems to be in the same position as all of the other cars to me.

mdxtasy

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 11:02:23 pm »
  What does 'cab forward' mean. It seems to be in the same position as all of the other cars to me.

The idea was that Chrysler moved the wheels further out to the corners of the vehicle.  Seems to be the corners moved with the wheels.....making one big friggin' boat.  If they moved the wheels out to the corners, the overhangs would be reduced. 

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 01:19:04 pm »
How many of the authors of the negative comments here actually owned one of these vehicles.

I haven't owned that particular car but I've got a couple friends who are in the business of buying and selling very used cars. You tend to pick up on a lot of stuff when they go through so much inventory. For example on Ford Contour automatics to replace the transmission filter you have to drop the tranny (which weighs more than the engine btw), diassemble half the bloody thing, then re-install. Crazy.

Related to LH sedans you see a lot that have had a couple tranny replacements and are then just left to sit or scrapped because the owner can't afford or doesn't want to replace the transmission. They are pretty dire. I'm not a Chrysler basher either as my Neon is a reliability champ (I owned four Chryslers products so far).

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 04:07:30 pm »
Would that not have been 'wheels forward'.

avtoller

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 05:38:32 pm »
Would that not have been 'wheels forward'.

No, that would be "front wheels forward, rear wheels backward". Rather awkward, wouldn't you say?  ::) :rofl2:

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 08:24:50 pm »
Cab forward did not mean wheels at the corners. That would be a pretty neat trick with tire diameters of the size used.. It was supposed to mean that the cab was further forward giving extra room inside. When I eyeballed this car and a same year Taurus the relationship between the stearing wheel and the front wheels seemed to be very similar between the two vehicles. However the windshield looked further forward to me and I think that was all that was achieved. This increased slope making it more difficult to clean the inside.The rest may have been sales pitch. I think the large volume inside was achieved by the length of the wheelbase. Frankly I was quite happy with the Intrepid Sport that I owned from new. Read my earlier post. Was it a world beater in the handling department, no, but it was decent. And nowhere near the price that such a world beater would be. However the 3.5 engine was very good.  Lets face it these cars were highway cruisers with room for three kids in the back seat. With a stainless steel exhaust system that was never changed on my vehicle in ten years of use. They were not meant for throwing around and neither were their equivalent contemporaries. It was time to move on but we were sorry to see it go.
Regards.

mdxtasy

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 11:30:18 pm »
Stretching the wheels further out to the corners of the car allowed the cabin to be expanded. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 11:55:24 pm »
But you said that the corners went with them. If you think about it this means that the wheelbase is the only thing that was streatched. Add to this the longer more sloping windshield and you have an LHS.

mdxtasy

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 12:38:00 am »
But you said that the corners went with them. If you think about it this means that the wheelbase is the only thing that was streatched. Add to this the longer more sloping windshield and you have an LHS.
The idea was that Chrysler moved the wheels further out to the corners of the vehicle.  Seems to be the corners moved with the wheels.....making one big friggin' boat.  If they moved the wheels out to the corners, the overhangs would be reduced. 

Seems to me....but stretching the wheelbase helps increase passenger space. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 07:06:55 am »
Is that not what I said three posts up?