Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Acura RDX  (Read 26455 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Acura RDX
« on: June 25, 2006, 11:50:12 pm »
First Drive:
2007 Acura RDX

2007 Acura RDXThe new Acura RDX compact 'crossover' vehicle "focuses on performance and panache, rather than off-road prowess and rugged duty," says Paul Williams. "The RDX is built, first and foremost, for urban use and an urban buyer." Its 240-hp turbocharged engine, Acura's first turbo, has "a substantial amount of torque at comparatively modest engine speeds," he says.     More...

a4_tom

Re: CD Article: 2007 Acura RDX
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 11:51:34 pm »
RDX sounds like an impressive package with Honda's usual engineering prowess on powerplant and handling dynamics. I just hope the upcoming MDX is not cannabalizing much into RDX's sales volume, just like some X3 3.0i customers got taken away by X5 3.0i due to better lease rates.

robarakira

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 12:42:37 am »
It's nice to see the RDX on the market

For a person like my father, who is happy with the TL, and wants to move into an SUV, Acuras are looking good; RDX, MDX, next MDX..
I think they've got it right the tech stuff, my analog father will not buy another car without bluetooth handsfree link. 

captain_ron

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:07:00 am »
Interior looks nice, impressive features, but? looks are subjective, but this looks like crap to me.  The Rav4 at 15k lower starting price point looks way better in my opinion.   

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 01:27:04 am »
I like it.  Hopefully the kind of people looking at a crossover in this price range will not be turned off by the "tuner"-ish turbocharged four.  With AWD and good performance, I can really see this appealing to young, well-off families: early-thirties to mid-fourties...

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 01:29:35 am »
Interior looks nice, impressive features, but? looks are subjective, but this looks like crap to me.  The Rav4 at 15k lower starting price point looks way better in my opinion.   

ditto.
Pictures can be decieving thou.
Love the interior. Great selection/quality of pics Paul.
More detail on the center console would have been nice.
I know that acura's packs all most all the options as standard
but I find leather in a suv/truck to slippery.
And with premium gas only means you lose 10% of your mileage.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:31:21 am by lostcomma »

Offline Iso Octane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • to the beat of the different drum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 02:43:33 am »
I'm glad to see Honda taking more styling risks with their North American products.  Although not exactly to my taste, the RDX looks like a genuine product, as opposed to the MDX, which to me looks like it was rushed out the door to fill a segment.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:28:44 am »
The RDX looks like a tall-wagon who had bad plastic surgery. :P  I know looks are subjective but this cute nice personality-ute :rofl2:  is not gonna win a beauty pageant anytime soon.  It as a lot of goodies ... Turbo, SH-AWD, Leather, Sunroof ... but at 45 000$, you're not getting anything for free.  In a X3/RDX/CX-7 world I would probably get the CX-7.  The BMW as the smooth inline 6 but it doesn't look any better than the RDX and I would rather have the X5 for a little more $.  The CX-7 may have cramped back seats but I rather save 10 000$ then pay 45 000$ for a Acura fancy Honda.  :-X

It's a good vehicle to give Acura's rep a boost in the luxury brand world ... but they're not there yet.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 03:30:23 am by G0dspd »
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 03:54:01 am »
Here's the 2008 MDX ... longer wheelbase, bigger rear doors = 3rd row and V6 only!  Interior pics after the jump ... a lot better than the RDX.  ::)  (I didn't want to start a new thread since the pictures are not that good and the new MDX was mentionned many times here ... sorry if it's inappropriate)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_2007_Acura_MDX.S178.A10569.html

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 07:31:55 am »
I want to like the RDX, but I'm having difficulty.  The front has more angles than a Hollywood agent.  The front of a vehicle is like a womans face...it's *usually* the first thing you look at.  The face on this thing ain't that beautiful, and almost makes me want to turn away.  I think I just see too much X3 in this thing, and the X3 does nothing for me (and I'm supposed to be in their demographics...?!?)

I agree with some of the other guys here.  I'm afraid the CX is a better value and looks better, and the RAV is bigger and saves you more $ yet.   

Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 07:57:35 am »
Dear Acura,

PLEASE put the RDX Turbo engine and Super AWD with a 6 speed manual into a TSX sedan and keep the price under 40K.

Signed ME

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 08:26:00 am »
The jury is still out for me on the RDX. It's not that I don't like it - I'm just not sure about the package, where it falls in the marketplace, and who specifically Acrua/Honda are targeting here. No doubt this will be a well built, reliable vehicle - there isn't an Acura in their current garage that isn't.

jww
JWW

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 08:40:57 am »
Ouch, that front end makes me cringe. Plus, this is the first vehicle I've seen that makes the $38k RAV4 V6 look like a bargain, for those who can live without some of the high-end techno-gadgets.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 08:48:27 am »
The V6 Rav4 and Forester Turbo offer similar performance at a much reduced price.  Sure, you miss a few of the techno gadgets, but for $7-8K savings, many wouldn't miss them.

However, Acura is Yuppie Heaven Brand right now with the MDX topping most soccer-Mom's lists of must-have grocery getter transport, so I imagine they'll be willing to overpay for the RDX in droves.

Acura bounced back by offering great value and I was wondering if they were straying from this strategy, but there is no shortage of $45K contenders, so they might be spot on...

curls

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 09:11:08 am »
Dear Acura,

PLEASE put the RDX Turbo engine and Super AWD with a 6 speed manual into a TSX sedan and keep the price under 40K.

Signed ME

See you in 2008.   8)

I'll be there waiting. :)

Offline mastershoe

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 09:19:42 am »
I was hoping the RDX would look more like the prototype which had a very clean, pure and uncluttered design. Also the projected fuel economy is a little dissapointing given this is a 4 banger -  I guess the turbo sucks back some extra fuel. I'm looking forward to seeing the new CRV which I believe will be on the same platform with a normally aspirated 4 banger. Perhaps the design will be cleaner. Does anyone know if the new CRV will be using the same SH-AWD system thats in the RDX?

mdxtasy

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 09:22:20 am »
I like everything about the RDX except the front bumper.  Too busy and looks like an unsure design.  The rest of it is nicely styled and proportioned.  The coming MDX looks nice on the inside. 

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 10:12:04 am »
I don't like the front end. It looks odd IMO. Otherwise looks like a nice SUV. The interior is quite nice. Hopefully the'll price it right.

DeadHead

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 10:30:41 am »
ouch.  ouch.  Ouch!  Sorry, I have to keep pinching myself as I look at this SUV.  I can't believe what I am seeing.

An Acura that gets 23/29mpg?  This, from the company that prides itself on fuel efficiency?  Could they chop out maybe 500kg so it gets somewhere near the fuel economy that it should?  I'd expect that kind of engineering from Chrysler/Jeep.

45 ~thousand~ dollars? Are they drunk?  Do they not read their press about the number of people questioning the pricing of the CSX?  Oh, sorry, I forgot.  It's an ...Acura... I must have one, damn the price!

Last comment:  Who's the genius that designed that rear liftgate?  Is there a conspiracy between Acura and the body shops?  I guarantee you that the liftgate will be damaged along with the rear bumper, in even a 2km/h touch in a parking lot.  That's why bumpers stick out from the metal bodywork.  STUPID DESIGN!!

PS.  My Momma always said, "Find something positive."  ...It has a nice interior.

a4_tom

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 11:27:42 am »
Real Time 4WD will be remain as standard in next CR-V.