Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Wagon  (Read 10247 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Wagon
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:23:02 pm »
Test Drive:
2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Wagon

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i WagonExotic cars get all the attention, but most of the buying public just wants quiet, unobtrusive, dependable transportation. That's the Subaru Legacy 2.5i wagon, says Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh, who's impressed by a car that just does everything right. "The Legacy may not stand out," she says, "but it's a standout."       More...

a4_tom

Re: CD Article: 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Wagon
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 10:27:02 pm »
Simply put, Legacy is just an amazing driving car even with base 2.5L engine. :o

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:46:09 pm »
I love the looks of the Legacy. The base 2.5 is still a great car  :thumbup:

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:14:48 pm »
I agree Legacy's are great cars. I like the interior design, material quality. Love their AWD system. But... and there are two of them...

1.- What's up with 4-speed auto? trying to mimic GM? Most of the competion has either 5 or 6 speed auto trans.
2.- But mostly, no stability control available, not even optional.  :nono: If you want to be recognized as being a maker of the safest vehicles on the road, this is a serious shortcoming for Subaru.

a4_tom

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:43:19 am »

2.- But mostly, no stability control available, not even optional. :nono: If you want to be recognized as being a maker of the safest vehicles on the road, this is a serious shortcoming for Subaru.

The VDC in H6 Outback should be standard across the board.

ghost

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 02:15:02 am »
after seeing the 08 Legacy, the current ones look kinda dated. Still a good car. For 27k, the 2.5i Leggy is a good buy.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 09:57:01 am »
For 27k, the 2.5i Leggy is a good buy.

The base model is just over $30K isn't it?

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 10:22:04 am »
2.- But mostly, no stability control available, not even optional.  :nono: If you want to be recognized as being a maker of the safest vehicles on the road, this is a serious shortcoming for Subaru.
The Legacy's AWD is so good, and so is the ABS - so I am not sure it needs stability control. I intentionally drove a base 2.5 Legacy wagon on a very crappy day last winter and was mightily impressed with the traction performance of both the awd and abs, and didn't find that the stability control was an issue at all. Sure it will add to safety in case of emergency manouveurs, and sure it would make the car more competitive on paper, but on the actual tarmac, I am not sure it would make all the big a difference.

Frankly while I am still ecstatic with our 06 Sonata, the Legacy wagon is still one of the few cars that I wish I could own. But one has to face up to reality when buying a family car - and if the family can't all be pleased with it for one reason or another, I have learned that it's better to compromise in the end   ;)

jww
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:23:57 am by jww »
JWW

a4_tom

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:23:41 am »
Dynamic stability control is an effective active safety feature. Even with AWD and ABS, DSC still be able to make a vehicle even more controllable for unskilled drivers. As well, as make a skilled driver drives even better.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 10:26:34 am »
Dynamic stability control is an effective active safety feature. Even with AWD and ABS, DSC still be able to make a vehicle even more controllable for unskilled drivers. As well, as make a skilled driver drives even better.
Perhaps but now there is also a clear and present danger with people driving abs, awd and dsc equipped cars way beyond the skills of the driver because of the false sense of security with these systems. I agree 100% that they are great to have, but like a gun in the hands of an untrained professional, they can still do lots of collateral damage to innocent bystanders.

jww

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 12:23:08 pm »
I really like this vehicle, think it looks good/classy/low, and very much like the improvement in looks with the larger alloys. All hail the SE's roof and fogs too!!!  :bow:

Unfortunately, I do not fit into this vehicle well (lack of headroom), or it would have been near the top of my consideration list.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 08:08:06 pm »
...Unfortunately, I do not fit into this vehicle well (lack of headroom), or it would have been near the top of my consideration list.
I had a similar issue only with the rear occupancy - my daughter and wife felt cramped so we only got a short test-drive with it.

jww

Mike

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:48:41 pm »
It's true, all Subarus lose interior space as a result of AWD and I wish the Legacy was a tad larger...say like a Camry. Having two adult passengers in the rear of my '97 isn't really cool. They have a lot going for them, though. I live near Buffalo NY and we deal with a lot of snow...but with a Blizzak equipped Subaru, you are the bull goose. Mine is the GT model, a wagon. It's a truly fine handling car, it can embarass a lot of much more expensive cars in turns, and when the yucky weather comes along, it runs away. My 20 year old daughter doesn't like the fact it's a wagon, but after she drove it, she said it feels real nice.

outlander

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 12:10:56 am »
I love it - we were very close to getting one - but the financing options were a tad limited compared to what we got :) Very solid, attractive and desirable car...

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 11:16:25 am »
I love it - we were very close to getting one - but the financing options were a tad limited compared to what we got :) Very solid, attractive and desirable car...
The best way to finance a Subaru is to use your own line of credit, because Subie dealers have awfully expensive programs.

I guess that's what happens when lots of people want to buy your cars. They get plenty of dealership traffic here in Ottawa - I have never been in a showroom with no other customers there - that happens alot in other dealerships.

jww

Leighow

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 09:47:52 am »

Good Morning:

I just stopped by before heading out the door with our dog.

I just wanted to say that I have read all the reviews on the 2.5i  (sedan or wagon) that the editors have posted here at Canadian Driver.  I must say that there is quite a range of editorial opinion from Jean LeBlanc's comparisons to the TSA, A4 and Passat (05) -- to others that are somewhat subdued in their enthusiasm.

I must say that Jil's review is exactly what my wife said about the car. She likes to swing her snow-tire-equipped Civic around corners, sees no reason for AWD,  and wanted to be (but was not) awed by the 2.5i cockpit.

I admit that I am in the market for a new car and that I find it tough to relinquish my infatuation with a current favourite, Today that favourite is the 2.5i sedan. Even faced with OEM tires 205/50R17" that are thwacky over pavement cracks and priced at $442 each in Canada (US$131 at the Tire Rack) my fixation remains.  Thanks to reviews like this and participant comments, I am trying to "come to my senses"  before I part with my small fortune!

I must say that I was en enamored with the CTS and find that the 2.5i provides a "memory-identical" ride and feel below say 60km/hr.

Have a great day,  Leighow