Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES  (Read 20838 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:25:45 am »
Test Drive:
2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SESThe 2006 Ford Focus is available with a sporty new GFX Appearance Package, reports Editor, Greg Wilson.  "Ford did a good job of making it look sporty without looking gimmicky or overdone, like many tuners cars do," he says.  The Focus ZX5 offers "great handling and ride, and a practical four-door hatchback bodystyle," he says, "but some of its competitors offer more horsepower and newer features for a comparable price."       More...

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:36:55 am »
This still isn't the Euro Focus, eh?
Ford has such a good name and reputation in Euro.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:11:54 am »
can't believe it's been out since 1999 with no major revision (afaik).  still a nice little car, but it needs a complete overhaul to remain competetive.

I liked the original swoopy-ish interior better as well.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 11:12:31 am »
This still isn't the Euro Focus, eh?

Not even close  to its brother in Europe.

Ford North America reported that MY2010  North America market "should" expect the C1 based EuroFocus. :rofl:

From reading many North American based  car Forums, I can safely say, Ford Focus is totally off most consumers radar, looking to purchase a car in this segment. So in true Ford NA fashion, they will let the current Focus variant die a slow and painful death. ::)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 11:14:04 am by MKII »

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:14:57 am »
It's a nice little car, but there are other nice little hatches emerging too. This car needs to try to remain competitive with all the new hatches coming out. Let's hope that maybe some day (soon) Ford decides to let us have the same fun that the Euros get to have with Ford products.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 11:16:42 am »
Don't like the 1-foot spoiler... too big... lip spoiler would have been way nicer... and also don't like the alloys... at a quick glance, they look like plastic covers... too much metal, and not enough see-through.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:29:25 am »
"...and it has a Ford engine in it."

Eh, Shnakkie?   :stick:

I'm not 100% stuck on the front air dam treatment.  Otherwise it is an attractive car.  It's such a shame that this car hasn't been updated (or replaced by Euro model) to keep up with the competition.  When it was introduced (aside from the various recalls) it was a leader in terms of ride, handling, etc.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 11:36:42 am »
well I was strictly responding to the reviewers comment about its exterior appearance...

What I think about the rest of the vehicle is another story completely...  ;)

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 12:53:28 pm »
"This may be partly explained by its maximum torque output figure of 133 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm, and the fact that this engine has two valves per cylinder, not four, and doesn't offer variable valve timing,..."

::) :rofl:

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:46:05 pm »
I have not had the opportunity to drive the new European Focus, but I have tested the NA variant against a Mazda3, which I've been told is on the same platform.  Perhaps it was me, but I found the NA focus to handle BETTER than the Mazda3, with considerably less body roll and generally a lower centre of gravity feel to it.  In sum, i found it to be a better HANDLING car... Is the European Focus similar to the Mazda3? 

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 02:03:32 pm »
Both Euro Focus C170 and C1 platform Focus driving dynamics IMO are better then the Mazda3, as well as the North American C170 platform Focus.  The EuroFocus old and new suspension set-up feels very Germanic in comparison to the North American suspension set-up.

Ford N.A.added some of the EuroFocus C170(previous) suspension bits into the N.A. ZX5(larger anti-roll-bars) and ST(ST model will utilize the same springs and dampers as the European Focus ST170, which equates to a ride that is 50 percent stiffer)  Focus variants, which gives some euro dynamics, but not enough IMO.Ford N.A. soften the spring rate on the base sedans.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:19:54 pm by MKII »

dancamp

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 02:36:46 pm »
So often I find it hard to understand the rationale behind many of the marketing decisions Ford makes. Was there a meeting at which everyone involved agreed that it made sense to add an oversized roof spoiler but keep the rear drum brakes?

I don't know what worries me more about this; that the marketing types at Ford are making contradictory decisions or that they really understand their public's buying habits?

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 02:40:43 pm »
And why did Ford N.A. decide to make the sedan the perforamce variant with the 2.3 engine and better sport suspension,rear disc brakes, etc.

The ST models should have been the ZX3 and ZX5.

nefcanuck

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 02:59:52 pm »
When the Focus was "overhauled" for the '05 MY they were mainly looking at fixing what the bean counters said could be fixed cheaply IMO. 

Some of the changes I like (Hey I own one ;)) such as the timing chain in place of the belt. 

Other changes I'm not so thrilled with, the big one that comes to mind is the engine bay layout, "byzantine" wouldn't be a strong enough word.

Other changes are just pet peeves, including the CD holder that swings down to the left of the driver's left knee.  Guess what I whack my knee on every time I use the damn thing >:(

For the '06 MY I absolutely LOATHE the rear spoiler in the GFX package, it's so in your face it's like a Don Cherry wakeup call at 5AM :P

NefCanuck

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 03:15:51 pm »
like a Don Cherry wakeup call at 5AM  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Howswedeitis

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 03:46:26 pm »
I have not had the opportunity to drive the new European Focus, but I have tested the NA variant against a Mazda3, which I've been told is on the same platform.  Perhaps it was me, but I found the NA focus to handle BETTER than the Mazda3, with considerably less body roll and generally a lower centre of gravity feel to it.  In sum, i found it to be a better HANDLING car... Is the European Focus similar to the Mazda3? 

Ford's 'control blade' rear suspension is still one of the best in the front drive set. That may explain
why your "seat of the pants" opinion is giving you that impression. When the Focus came out
in Europe it was a hit especially in terms of its handling. Although the NA version gets softer
suspension settings it still handles extremely well...certainly better than the Honda Civic
etc.

Wolfe

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 03:47:15 pm »
"This may be partly explained by its maximum torque output figure of 133 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm, and the fact that this engine has two valves per cylinder, not four, and doesn't offer variable valve timing,..."

::) :rofl:

This reminds me of the TV commercial for the F-150 where the voice over describes the "innovative" V8 engine with three valves per cylinder. Umm six valves per cylinder might be innovative (whether that would be a technical benefit would be questionable. How many valves become too many?) But VW/Audi has at least one engine with five valves per cylinder, the 2.0L FSI turbo I believe. Four valves is quite common.

For some reason I had assumed that the new engines that Ford put in the Focus were retuned versions of the Mazda designed I4s.

And why did Ford N.A. decide to make the sedan the perforamce variant with the 2.3 engine and better sport suspension,rear disc brakes, etc.

The ST models should have been the ZX3 and ZX5.

The old SVT version, which was a blast to drive, with the Cosworth tuned version of the 2.0L Zetec engine with 170hp was only available as a 3 or 5 door hatch.

I don't think it sold very well, though that probably had more to do with the fact that Ford priced the SVT Focus at $30 000. That was alot for a Focus. And by the time they brought out the SVT in 2002 the Focus had gotten a bad reputation for recalls and reliability.

I think they decided to make the sportier Focus the sedan this time in response to poor sales of the SVT.  :(

I like the Focus, I really do. If Ford cared about this car at all they could make it very competitive with the best cars in this segment. Fantastic drive aside the SVT that I looked at exuded a feeling of cheapness that was hard to overlook for a car that listed at over $30 000. That and the fact that it was already starting to rust at only two years old made it a no brainer to walk away.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 03:51:30 pm »
The Mazda Z engine family is an evolution of the B family. It started with 2.0 L and 2.3 L variants found in the Mazda3, Mazda Mazda6 and Ford Ranger. For 2004, Ford dropped its own Zeta Zetec engines in favor of Mazda's, naming the resulting engine the Duratec 20 and Duratec 23.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 03:57:42 pm »
"This still isn't the Euro Focus, eh?"

Here's a glimmer of hope for all the Ford ST lovers out there.  ;D

Euro Ford Focus spotted in North America

The European Ford Focus has been photographed in testing in Mexico by a quick-thinking member of the Mopar-Extreme discussion forums. Ford launched this second-generation Focus in Europe in early 2005, but decided not to sell in North America. While the reason for this decision was never made clear by the Detroit-based automaker, it is widely speculated that Ford worried the car would cannibalize sales of the Volvo S40 and Mazda3, which share the same platform. While these images don’t necessarily mean Ford is working on a version of the car for North America, they certainly give Ford fans something to think about.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/06/01/euro-ford-focus-spotted-in-north-america/
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 08:19:07 pm »
The old SVT version, which was a blast to drive, with the Cosworth tuned version of the 2.0L Zetec engine with 170hp was only available as a 3 or 5 door hatch.

I don't think it sold very well, though that probably had more to do with the fact that Ford priced the SVT Focus at $30 000. That was alot for a Focus. And by the time they brought out the SVT in 2002 the Focus had gotten a bad reputation for recalls and reliability.

I think they decided to make the sportier Focus the sedan this time in response to poor sales of the SVT.  :(

Interesting that Dodge has gone from a sedan SRT-4 to a hatchback, while Ford is going from a hatchback SVT to a sedan "sport" (not a true SVT :().  And I agree, with the 170hp Focus @ $30 000, the Dodge SRT-4 with ~230 (?) horsepower was a far better value.