Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8  (Read 14835 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
« on: May 24, 2006, 12:38:14 am »
Test Drive:
2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8

2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8Tuned by the enthusiasts at Dodge's Street and Racing Technology skunkworks, the 425-horsepower Magnum SRT-8 is a "sneering, snorting mutant offspring of a Country Squire and the devil's own hell-wagon," reports Peter Bleakney. "But treat the throttle with a modicum of restraint and it's a pussycat around town," he says.    More...

robarakira

Re: CD Article: 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:59:05 am »

I think this is the coolest wagon in existance.  It's officially sick.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 01:11:48 am »
The ultimate sleeper?  The ultimate family hauler?  If it weren't for the gas mileage, I'd say this is one of the best cars on the market.  Definately the coolest wagon.  Not really my style (hardly light and tossable with that 2000kg curb weight), but a BRUTE with a big engine and big tires...  I love it.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 01:15:50 am »
If I had a family, this would be in the driveway!   :skid:

Howswedeitis

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 02:47:37 pm »
Sure beats paying more than double for a Merc station wagon!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 03:45:57 pm »

I think this is the coolest wagon in existance.  It's officially sick.

You're right...  :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

avtoller

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:26:51 pm »
Got to agree with Shnak on this one!  It's just about everything a wagon SHOULDN'T be these days! :hurl: :hurl:

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 05:13:17 pm »
You're right...  :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

I would have to agree... at least in terms of it's appearance. I can't wait to see an SRT-8 magnum stuck in traffic on the way home from work...425 horsepower is pretty sweet in stop and go traffic I hear  ::)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 05:17:49 pm »
I have driven the regular Magnum and there is no way I could live with the restricted visibility issues - both rear side and back. Very difficult to drive safely in heavy traffic IMO. The review glosses over that issue but to me, it's huge.  :P
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 10:35:17 pm »
Anyone noticed the lack of 100 Km/h tick mark on the speedometer? Something Nissan was criticized more if I am not mistaken (2002 Altima)...

Not very convenient for our highways... "Officer, I thought I was going 100!"...  ;D ;D ;D

avtoller

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 11:09:59 pm »
Anyone noticed the lack of 100 Km/h tick mark on the speedometer? Something Nissan was criticized more if I am not mistaken (2002 Altima)...

Not very convenient for our highways... "Officer, I thought I was going 100!"...  ;D ;D ;D

Even worse, the speedo markers jump by 30 kph, so the mid-points are 45, 75, 105, ... These are hardly "normal" driving speeds given Canadian speed limits. What genius was responsible for that stupidity??  ??? ::)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 11:19:49 pm »
I smell cost avoidance (30Km/h is very close to 20 mph) or metric knowledge impaired designer...

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 11:25:32 pm »
This thing needs a nose job.  It's like the ugly sister with a bad schnoz. 
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +180/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 12:54:08 pm »
I have driven the regular Magnum and there is no way I could live with the restricted visibility issues - both rear side and back. Very difficult to drive safely in heavy traffic IMO. The review glosses over that issue but to me, it's huge.  :P

I agree 100% Ovr.  Having also had a rental Magnum, I was really unimpressed with it.  Of course the one I drove was also an SXT (V6) model which was about as enjoyable to drive as watching the grass grow.  Conversely, the 300C I drove previously did impress me for what it was -- a powerful, well-equipped, nicely-style, near-luxury car for a good price. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 09:14:24 pm »
I took a 300C and Magnum on back to back test drives. The Magnum has serious visibility issues and has no handling abilities what so ever. The fit and finish is terrible and the cabin ergonomics are primeval.

I agree that the Magnum has all the attributes of what a wagon should not be. Even with the 6.1 Hemi my WRX Wagon in OEM trim would be a worthy competitor, until the first corner where I would be looking in my rear view.

BG

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 09:36:54 pm »
I agree that the Magnum has all the attributes of what a wagon should not be. Even with the 6.1 Hemi my WRX Wagon in OEM trim would be a worthy competitor, until the first corner where I would be looking in my rear view.

Umm.. for a near 5000lbs vehicle, 0.87g's on a 300ft skidpad is darn good..  especially considering that you cannot turn the stability control off..

ive also read more than a few opinions on here about american cars vs their asian and european imports, and it astonishes me how unread many people are and how many still use the very old and stale mentality that american cars dont last..

honda for instance have really slipped in their reliability ratings of late.. GM has a better reliability record these days than many give them credit for..

Finally, the SRT line of vehicles are NOT for everyone. If you have to pause think about owning one, its not for you, same with the viper powered dodge ram.. These are vehicles for people with money, but also for people who driving is  more than manipulating the controls of a  champagne coloured camry.

This is also the company that starts a niche segment after all and during the most stale and boring times in automotive history infuse it with life.

viper
prowler
pt cruiser
the semi-truck looking ram
the larger than compact dakota and only company to offer a v8
srt4

mock as you will, they started it all or brought passion back to a dying or already dead state in each segment..

eh.. my views anyway..

bg
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:40:54 am by MdX5 »

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 09:05:30 am »
While it would take alot for me to go back to Chrysler products, I do appreciate the boy-racer-meets-family-guy looks of the magnum. It possesses a very 'american man' l- and some might even suggest redneck - ook and feel to it.

Would I own one? Probably not, but I am happy to admire and appreciate the retro feel design. Let's not forget all those years ago, when Chrysler introduced the magic wagon and literally transformed the auto world overnight. You have got to at least hand it to them for hanging their design heart out on their sleeve.
JWW

mdxtasy

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 09:41:31 am »
Didn't mean to edit bg's post....pressed the wrong button. 

ive also read more than a few opinions on here about american cars vs their asian and european imports, and it astonishes me how unread many people are and how many still use the very old and stale mentality that american cars dont last..

The fit and finish isn't up to where the competition is and the overall design doesn't do a thing for me.  I don't know how the reliability stacks up but the one American car I had, performed OK and got me to were I needed to go.  Near the end, more catastrophic problems were starting to appear.  I've never had major problems with the Japanese cars I've owned.  European cars I've owned required some maintenance.  From reading Consumer's Report on vehicles, most of the reliable picks are from Japan.  Most of the Lexus cars have an above average rating and are recommended.  All Acura's (except for the new RDX) is a CR recommended vehicle.  Toyota products score equally high for CR.  Turning to the American cars, the opinions and test data results are not as favorable.  Now the impression I get is that the newer products are getting better, but they still need to do some catch up to be considered AS reliable as the Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus cars.

Finally, the SRT line of vehicles are NOT for everyone. If you have to pause think about owning one, its not for you, same with the viper powered dodge ram.. These are vehicles for people with money, but also for people who driving is  more than manipulating the controls of a  champagne coloured camry.

If I had all this money you speak of, these SRT cars do nothing for me and would not be on my shopping list.  I consider myself a car enthusiast and like to drive cars with the feel, the sounds, and the feedback that true sports cars provide.  However, shoving a big arse engine inside a big long wagon just doesn't do it for me.  Now I may be missing out because I've never considered going down to take a test drive, but if I were to spend money on a new car, I know of atleast a dozen cars I'd test before heading into the Chrysler/Dodge shop.

This is also the company that starts a niche segment after all and during the most stale and boring times in automotive history infuse it with life.

The SRT lineup is a nice shot in the arm.  Their SRT4, all the way up to the SRT Grand Cherokee offers up performance at a good bargain.  I think DC has done a fantastic job adding some spice to the boring lineup they had before.  The price also means you do not need to be wealthy to purchase one. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 10:14:37 am »
Didn't mean to edit bg's post....pressed the wrong button. 

The fit and finish isn't up to where the competition is and the overall design doesn't do a thing for me.  I don't know how the reliability stacks up but the one American car I had, performed OK and got me to were I needed to go.  Near the end, more catastrophic problems were starting to appear.  I've never had major problems with the Japanese cars I've owned.  European cars I've owned required some maintenance.  From reading Consumer's Report on vehicles, most of the reliable picks are from Japan.  Most of the Lexus cars have an above average rating and are recommended.  All Acura's (except for the new RDX) is a CR recommended vehicle.  Toyota products score equally high for CR.  Turning to the American cars, the opinions and test data results are not as favorable.  Now the impression I get is that the newer products are getting better, but they still need to do some catch up to be considered AS reliable as the Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus cars.

If I had all this money you speak of, these SRT cars do nothing for me and would not be on my shopping list.  I consider myself a car enthusiast and like to drive cars with the feel, the sounds, and the feedback that true sports cars provide.  However, shoving a big arse engine inside a big long wagon just doesn't do it for me.  Now I may be missing out because I've never considered going down to take a test drive, but if I were to spend money on a new car, I know of atleast a dozen cars I'd test before heading into the Chrysler/Dodge shop.

The SRT lineup is a nice shot in the arm.  Their SRT4, all the way up to the SRT Grand Cherokee offers up performance at a good bargain.  I think DC has done a fantastic job adding some spice to the boring lineup they had before.  The price also means you do not need to be wealthy to purchase one. 

:iagree: well said.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 02:30:29 pm »
My family have been Chrysler vehicle owners for the last 35 years. I find nothing in their current line-up that is desireable to me except the Caravan. I think we are wittnessing their last stand, they are all trucked out.