Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer  (Read 11695 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
« on: May 17, 2006, 11:15:01 pm »
Test Drive:
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie BauerStill North America's best-selling SUV, the Ford Explorer gets a new V8 engine and numerous upgrades for 2006. Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh climbs into the Eddie Bauer edition and finds a luxury interior mated to solid 4x4 truck capability.     More...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: CD Article: 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:43:44 am »
It's a testament to the model that it survived the rollover issues of the 1990s, which pretty much boiled down to the fact that you can't expect to under-inflate the tires on a two-ton truck and then pretend to be a motocross racer.

Best line in a CD review EVER.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 07:52:32 am »
Can these things become extinct now please?  I suppose neanderthals like neanderthal vehicles...
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:05:50 am »
Don't be such a pretentious dork.   :bang:

Sure, an SUV like the Exploder isn't the vehicle best suited to the majority of the people who buy them (soccer moms, commuters, etc.).  However, there are still people who require such a vehicle for the combination of passenger/cargo capacity, trailer towing ability and a proper 4WD system.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:45:27 am »
Don't be such a pretentious dork.   :bang:

Sure, an SUV like the Exploder isn't the vehicle best suited to the majority of the people who buy them (soccer moms, commuters, etc.).  However, there are still people who require such a vehicle for the combination of passenger/cargo capacity, trailer towing ability and a proper 4WD system.

And the people who acutally "require" such a vehicle are so few that for the Explorer to be a best seller since 1990 is testament to lack of social conscience of those who purchase it...a neanderthal springs to mind.  People who "need" the type of vehicle you describe do not typically need a power operated 3rd row seat, and they buy a more versatile pickup instead.

I have no issues with persons buying vehicles that they need and appropriately use.  However, our world will be a better place when the masses stop buying gas guzzling body on frame SUV's, IMO.      

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:50:26 am by Loudpedal »

a4_tom

Non commercial Rent Agreement Translation Writing
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 11:05:26 am »
Thank you, I've been searching for facts about this subject for ages and yours is the best I've located so far.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:55:55 pm by a4_tom »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 11:09:19 am »
I don't think that was what Desmo meant.................correct me if I'm WRONG  ???...but he's saying EXPLODERS!!! were vilified for running underinflated tyres on a heavy car,aggresively in SOUTHERN US heat...they have corrected that issue with lowering the CG,getting decent tyres and proper inflation...hell we've seen what some IDIOTS can do with PORSCHES & MERCEDES<FERRAR sports cars on these pages...TRASH THEM when driven beyond their capability.......it was a MINI AUDI 500 "Unintended accelaration beanfest...fer Lawyers,TV Journos and wacky folk everywhere)..

I twice rented Explorers in the period in question and they ran fine...notmy cup of tea,but i needed the room for a college move and wanted to try them.........they are still here and TOP SELLERS...so whats the problem?????   Yup SUV's are not Corvettes  D'oh >:(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

mdxtasy

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 11:13:24 am »
And the people who acutally "require" such a vehicle are so few that for the Explorer to be a best seller since 1990 is testament to lack of social conscience of those who purchase it...a neanderthal springs to mind.  People who "need" the type of vehicle you describe do not typically need a power operated 3rd row seat, and they buy a more versatile pickup instead.

I have no issues with persons buying vehicles that they need and appropriately use.  However, our world will be a better place when the masses stop buying gas guzzling body on frame SUV's, IMO.      

Here we go again....advocates for Greenpeace and anti-SUV drivel...blah blah blah.   ::)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 11:19:43 am »
 :iagree:
Lets go back to Henry Ford day, you can have any colour you want as long as it is black

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 12:17:44 pm »
I had an Explorer pass me one day and I was going 160kph.   :o

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 12:36:04 pm »
Can these things become extinct now please?  I suppose neanderthals like neanderthal vehicles...

Let's NOT repeat all this BS topic again, please.... :P :P ::)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 01:26:19 pm »
Let's NOT repeat all this BS topic again, please.... :P :P ::)

I was not aware this has been covered before.  I suppose that should come as no surprise.     

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 01:52:20 pm »
I was not aware this has been covered before.  I suppose that should come as no surprise.     

It's OK, we've probably hashed this one to death about 6 times already, but you didn't know that.  ;D

On Edmunds.com in the US, there was a thread running on this topic for about 4 years - it had over 50,000 or so posts when they finally closed it for good. The same old arguments were being repeated over and over there also.  :P

a4_tom

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 01:56:17 pm »
It's OK, we've probably hashed this one to death about 6 times already, but you didn't know that. ;D

On Edmunds.com in the US, there was a thread running on this topic for about 4 years - it had over 50,000 or so posts when they finally closed it for good. The same old arguments were being repeated over and over there also. :P

Things come around, go around! :rofl2: :rofl2:

Mr Meow

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 05:20:51 pm »
Lets face it, this has never been a great SUV. for starter its only really for going to the shops and making mums feel safe, which even that task for this SUV seams to be hard, Also it can kill you at any moment if you take a corner like a mad man or a cats runs out and you swerve. Reliablity is not the best. Its Hopeless as an off roader too. Cost a bundle to buy new and you loose a kings ransom after a few years if you wanted to resale it. Not only that, but cost you a small fotune in gas to run around town in it.

So what is this Ford Explorer good for? I say nothing. I say bin it ford. gives us something else.

Ted

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 08:36:13 pm »
You've gotta drive it first before bashing Ford (you, Civic drivers:)). It's pretty good, too bad it has Ford engine inside. Best of American made midsize SUVs.
Classic in it's price category.

Another classic is X5.  

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 08:05:02 am »
Lets face it, this has never been a great SUV. for starter its only really for going to the shops and making mums feel safe, which even that task for this SUV seams to be hard, Also it can kill you at any moment if you take a corner like a mad man or a cats runs out and you swerve. Reliablity is not the best. Its Hopeless as an off roader too. Cost a bundle to buy new and you loose a kings ransom after a few years if you wanted to resale it. Not only that, but cost you a small fotune in gas to run around town in it.

So what is this Ford Explorer good for? I say nothing. I say bin it ford. gives us something else.

"The Management respectfully requests that you and your party leave quietly."

Demon2732

Joke
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 04:48:22 pm »
Bush got a coded message from Saddam. It read: 370HSSV-0773H Bush was stumped and sent for the CIA. The CIA was stumped too, so it went to the NSA. The NSA couldn't solve it either, so they asked Bill Clinton. He suggested turning it upside down ...

;)

a4_tom

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2006, 08:05:04 pm »
Bush got a coded message from Saddam. It read: 370HSSV-0773H Bush was stumped and sent for the CIA. The CIA was stumped too, so it went to the NSA. The NSA couldn't solve it either, so they asked Bill Clinton. He suggested turning it upside down ...

;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: