Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Dodge Caliber SE  (Read 16154 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Dodge Caliber SE
« on: May 16, 2006, 01:15:01 am »
Test Drive:
2007 Dodge Caliber SE

2007 Dodge Caliber SETaking over the entry-level spot at Chrysler, the all-new Dodge Caliber offers the convenience of a station wagon, the footprint of a compact, and a surprisingly spacious interior, says Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh. But she found the ride "very firm" and some of the interior trim "looks cheap", she says.    More...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: CD Article: 2007 Dodge Caliber SE
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:33:43 am »
I'd love to see an R/T AWD and five-speed transmission...  I guess the number of people looking for MT continues to dwindle, but I just could not get into a Caliber the way the tranny and trims go...  only the base offers a stick...  what?

Maybe as a second vehicle for a young family, but that single decision killed what would have otherwise been a viable "next car" candidate for me...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 07:23:00 am »
Anyone notice in the commercial with the black car and the tinker bell character they have a V8 sound coming from the car?

Jill didn't seem to like it much did she.....  :-\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 07:29:51 am by wing »

Panzer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 08:31:18 am »
What I'd like to know is how reliable this CVT is...

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:49:53 am »
Exterior by Dodge.  Interior by Mattel.

Interesting to post this right after the Nissan Versa "First Drive".  Wheelbase is just 1 1/2" longer than the subcompact-class Versa.  Though the cargo room with rear seats folded seems to heavily favour the Dodge, the lines between subcompact and compact are being blurred.

That both offer the same Jatco CVT is indicative of where transmissions are going as well.  I'm curious about how well they "downshift" for passing.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:29:00 am »
When I saw it at the auto show I though it was kinda neat with its versatility. A small wagon priced like a Neon.

but the material quality looked pretty poor. as though it were built down to a price point. Cheaper materials in order to afford all the little "features' like the Ipod holder, blue lights etc. Its like a dollar store car. Plasticky with lots of bells and whistles for cheap but feels like it will fall apart.

I've seen a few on the road and I looks much bigger than it really is. Maybe its trying to appeal to lower income who want a sport ute appearance but can't afford the price or the gas?

Other than the SRT it doesn't even register on my interest meterr. If I was looking for a domestic "wagon" hatch I think i'd look at a Malibu Maxx with its v6 before a caliber.

Mr Meow

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 10:33:12 am »
These Dodge Caliber are selling like hot cake in this town. Just seem some how tacky. Toy like. Dodge seamed to be doing the right thing building cars and trucks that people really want to buy. Its really north American to have a big in your face grill. But they gonna get burt very soon. Because these cars are not that well built. They don't seemed have learn just yet. so maybe they have too loose a few more billions to fix that part. Because they doing everything else right.

I Just keep thinking I would rather have a Honda or a Toyota. I'm not fooled.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 10:50:03 am by wing »

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 10:52:22 am »

Other than the SRT it doesn't even register on my interest meterr. If I was looking for a domestic "wagon" hatch I think i'd look at a Malibu Maxx with its v6 before a caliber.

I second that...a loaded Caliber is 23,500 and a base Maxx (with more stuff and a V6) is only a couple thousand more. 

If I was looking for a small functional commuter, I'd think about a bare-bones Caliber but that's about it.  Saw about 6 or 7 of them this weekend, they are pretty cool looking.

Read another review somewhere (Edmunds, I think) and they had the Orange Caliber with the Sport package and the orange plastic centre stack and orange inserts just looked horrible.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

a4_tom

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 10:58:30 am »
The interior materials just feel cheap and brittle in Caliber, although there are some nifty features. Comparing PT vs Caliber, former has much nicer interior quality.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 11:17:41 am »
Those colour keyed interior bits are horrendous - about the worst implementation of them I've ever seen, including in the aftermarket. The interior is done to a price point, and I really dislike it.

My friend thought the Caliber was about the size of a Pacifica, tho I knew it was shorter than a Matrix which he couldn't believe. It is a very good optical illusion. In fact, the Versa is nearly - if not taller - than the Caliber too.

The exterior is well done tho IMO, and it is very much a maucho standout compared to everything else at this price point. It's also very much in tune with the look of a mini SUV/Durango, which should appeal to North Americans used to trucks and image.

Road and comparison tests are giving this car mixed reviews, and I would too. It certainly would not be on my consideration list, but I bet lots of people will and are going to be sold on it. Certainly the starting price is right.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

avtoller

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 11:50:56 am »
I've only seen one on the road - amazingly ugly IMHO.  :P :P

smainville

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 12:12:16 pm »
I've only seen one on the road - amazingly ugly IMHO.  :P :P

I can't agree more, a friend for the Aztek IMO, what was DC thinking?

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 03:00:30 pm »
Aztek?  Nothing can approach the Aztek.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +234/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 03:03:10 pm »
To me it looks like they took a protege5, placed a pump in the interior and then filled the car with air until it bulged in a bunch of places.  Don't like the look at all.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 04:53:53 pm »
Anyone notice in the commercial with the black car and the tinker bell character they have a V8 sound coming from the car?

Watched Top Gear lately?  ;D
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline soj

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 CSX, 1997 1.6 el, 1991 740 Turbo Wagon
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 05:59:13 pm »
You'd think they would have carried the 5-speed through to at least the 2.0 liter/SXT level.  Funny since the last time I checked a 2.4 liter PT Cruiser with 5-speed was still on offer.  Could it be the marketing guru's again?  I guess they figured frugal Canadians once offered the fuel efficient CVT trans, wouldn't want to shift for themselves.  By extension, shouldn't they then be offering us the diesel as well?

I would have been prepared to overlook its bone ugly styling for the right options and its apparent practicality but I guess not.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 06:37:41 pm »
Call me goofy (cue Saffy) but I like the looks of it and I didn't think the interior looked as bad as everyone is saying.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

a4_tom

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 07:22:31 pm »
Most of the Calibers on the road I have seen are all dealer demos.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 09:09:52 pm »
The interior is what I expect to see come out of China, or the former Soviet bloc.  Blech. 
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 11:08:41 pm »
I looked at the Caliber interior at the autoshow and it isn't *that* bad.  The plastics could be softer but just because it's harder type plastic doesn't mean it's going to be any less durable or going to fall apart in a few years.

Exterior wise, it's not my cup of tea but I can see it being a viable alternative to other small crossover vehicles.