Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback  (Read 8670 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback
« on: April 26, 2006, 12:30:05 am »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
First Drive:
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer SportbackReturning to the Canadian market after being dropped in 2004, the Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback has three main things going for it - "..four if you count the obvious functionality of a small wagon," says Paul Williams:  "..its looks, its excellent power, and the long Mitsubishi warranty."    More...

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Re: CD Article: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:18:58 am »
Ah, but is the long term Mitsu still considered to be a pro, when the state of the company in Canada is still shaky?

I saw one of these the other day. Looked good. Glad to see that it got brought back. We need more compact wagons in our market segment.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:55:45 am »
I gotta say, that's the ugliest wagon on the market.  Looks like a 1982 camry wagon or something......blech.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

a4_tom

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:04:21 am »
I love it. It looks like a baby V70. ;)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +234/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 11:42:22 am »
I agree.  I really like the looks of the sportback, and the practicality can't be beat.  It seems strange to me that Mitsubishi would offer a sport suspension without a manual transmission.  That would be a deal breaker for me.  Also, $25,000 seems like a lot of money.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 12:34:16 pm »

Looks great to me too.

Pricing is high though - wowzers! I would think $18,5 - $23 tops.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Howswedeitis

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:22:27 pm »

I agree and I own one (V70) which is kinda like a fridge on wheels!
Simple Scandinavian design which is why the car is so functional
and easy to live with.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:34:09 pm »
Frigid on wheels !!!!...............I used ta DATE HER!!!! ;D........................I am sure you could get a sweet lease fer 5 years ALL WARRANTY INCLUDED on that fine wagon...if it fits yer needs............... :thumbup:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Howswedeitis

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 02:15:50 pm »
Frigid on wheels !!!!...............I used ta DATE HER!!!! ;D........................I am sure you could get a sweet lease fer 5 years ALL WARRANTY INCLUDED on that fine wagon...if it fits yer needs............... :thumbup:

You mean "meals on heals" right?! LOL

coolnoob

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 03:46:28 pm »
I gotta say, that's the ugliest wagon on the market.  Looks like a 1982 camry wagon or something......blech.

:iagree:  looks like the engineers got lazy, took a crackerbox slapped on 4 wheels and chiseled out the front.  ;D

ghost

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 04:17:39 pm »
ugly ugly ugly! Volvo wagons have a solidity to it. This one seems to have a rigidity of an open sardine can.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 04:58:44 pm »
There's only so much design you can do with the back end of a wagon.

I like it.

Offline soj

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 CSX, 1997 1.6 el, 1991 740 Turbo Wagon
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 06:57:42 pm »
I love the look and the rest of the package isn't shabby either but with a slush box it kills the entire concept.  I'm not sure where this comes from but I came accross the same mentality as it relates to the new (old) Honda, Fit.  Apparently, something like 75% of the models being shipped to dealers will be LXs of which only 15% will have manuals.  It should come as no surprise that at the dealership I visited the waiting list for manuals was 3 months whereas you could have any automatic off the lot immediately and that's in Alberta's hot consumer market.  There must be some marketing basis for this yet all the anecdotal evidence suggest the opposite.  What is it?  Wagons and the soccer mum thing?  Whatever, the only thing Mitsubishi has managed to do is to annoy me.  I'm in the market, I can get the same vehicle in sedan form with a manual but not in a wagon?  I guess my business will be going elsewhere. 

Moniyas

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 07:25:56 pm »
Good Day, All!

I was very interested in the Mistubishi Lancer Sportback LS with the Preferred Options Package.  Looked into it further and concluded that it was at the top of my shortlist.  Contacted Mitsubishi Canada re: warranty service and was advised that it must be done by a Mitsu dealer, with very limited exceptions at the dealer's discretion (i.e., if they also own another brand dealership and wish to refer you there). 

So, this is a no-go.  Living 400 km from a dealership, this is an impractical arrangement.  (Sure, I'll just catch the Greyhound to go pick up my car because it needed warranty work, and that would be nothing but fun.)  Other manufacturers are willing to accomodate residence considerations, and so one of them (Toyota, Mazda, Honda) will sell a vehicle to me.

I really like the balance of features on this vehicle, as they would serve me.  Yes, there are some desirable features to be had on other vehicle, but on balance the Mitsu would serve me best.  Too bad!

I see myself as a very ordinary automobile consumer, looking for reliable everyday transportation and utility at a reasonable price that I am going to hang onto for a long time.  I probably represent the "volume buyer" for this vehicle. 

Mitsubishi Canada, Inc., you are not going to grow your business this way!

Drive safely!

Moniyas