Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Toyota Camry  (Read 13128 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Toyota Camry
« on: April 04, 2006, 11:15:02 pm »
First Drive:
2007 Toyota Camry

2007 Toyota Camry
Loosely translated, the Japanese term 'tumara nai' means "that which is boring or uninspired." And according to Koji Sato, who worked as Assistant Chief Engineer on the 2007 Toyota Camry, it pretty accurately describes every generation of the company's bread-and-butter sedan since the nameplate's introduction in 1983.     More...

a4_tom

Re: CD Article: 2007 Toyota Camry
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 11:41:12 pm »
LE's interior looks the best of all 3, both in pics and real life.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:36:29 am »
The previous Camry looked "bloated" ... this one is a fatty  :(.

The LE interior does indeed look the best ... the Black/Grey scheme helps a lot.  Why are the dials not visible in the other interiors? ... digital dials optional ???  The center console has too much "hidden" storage areas and what's up with that crack in the dash on the passenger's side.  Also, the automatic shifter is right beside the drivers leg while the manual shifter is a few inches to the right ... away from the driver.  :-\

The wood trims in the XLE ...  :hurl:
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline Prius

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 03:47:08 am »
I saw the LE interior at the auto show. Looks bland. The XLE I saw at the dealer was a bit more pleasing. The LE has no cover for the box behind the shifter whereas the XLE has a cover with woodtrim. Also, where the XLE has rear vents, the LE has some open cubby hole. Weird.

The dials on the SE and LE are manual. The XLE pic has dual-zone automatic climate control.

The manual shifter is further away cause you guys want the handbrake and despise the footbrake.
2010 Prius Technology Package
LED ext./int. lights, 5000K HID low beams, OEM foglights, mudguards, USDM cargo mat

smainville

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:51:42 am »
Spent the weekend in Kingston for a hockey tournament and lot's of time to kill, so I did some checking out.  Wow, this Camry is a beauty inside and out, the SE interior in leather is my pick.  Only the Accord and Passat is close to this and the others are way way off, especially the Sonata, man does it look ordinary now.    Next Nissan introduces the Altima in New York, should be interesting to see.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:11:05 am »
Why are the dials not visible in the other interiors? ... digital dials optional ???

The gauges in the LE and XLE light up when the car is started.

The interior is better looking in person. And like Prius stated, the manual shifter is over there to make room for the handbrake. It looks like a reach, but it's really not. The auto shifter is actually closer than it needs to be.
I used to work here.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 09:31:46 am »
I don't like digital gauges like that... give me the standard gauges well lighted and that's all I want.

As for the positionning of the auto and manual shifters, it really is odd that they aren't in the center... the auto is on the left, the manual on the right.... really is weird. I would definitely have the automatic shifter rubbing against my right knee...

And look at the cheap buttons to adjust the mirrors... really seems like a part that's coming out of a 1998 Echo or something.

I don't know... the whole interior of this new Camry leaves me cold. I much much much prefer the one of the 3-4 year old Accord, and of course the new Passat.

:thumbdown: to Toyota for this one.

avro206

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 09:45:03 am »
still looks boring, ugly and bloated.

I see they have finally gave it some power. About time. Wonder if it takes premuim like all other Toyota V6's.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 09:47:57 am »
I like the design. The old design was looking tired. The interiors aren't bad, not quite what I expected from toyota, but in a different kind of way. The only one i'd be interested in is the SE MT. And as shnak pointed out, it seems a little odd having the stick shift to the right of the console  :think: I don't know If i could drive comfortably like that which might be a deal breaker.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 10:04:02 am »

I see they have finally gave it some power. About time. Wonder if it takes premuim like all other Toyota V6's.

Boring is the word...I can't see anyone being excited about this car except maybe those who
are just satisfied with reliable transportation. Toyota has a problem in that their cars in general
attract an older demographic. This car will sell but it certainly isnt going to inspire younger buyers
to visit Toyota showrooms.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 10:19:51 am »
I'll see your CAMRY XLE ($37,000) and RAISE you an AVALON ($ few dollars more)...???.....Bluffing !!!! ::) ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline haris

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 11:07:40 am »
Nothing original.
Not being able to turn off the electronic nanny gets a big :thumbdown:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 11:25:04 am »

That is inaccurate - "all other Toyota V6's" do NOT require premium, they run fine on regular 87, but if 91 is used, the performance of the engine would be a bit sharper. This is common among Japanese engines.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 11:32:24 am »
GAWD the East westerners have their Kimonos inna BUNCH eh!!!...SO_LARA_ITCHY_BAN_GOOD_TA_KNOW_TOY_ODA...... :rofl2:

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 11:45:50 am »
I think the new Camry is 1000% better in the looks dept than previous gen.  Love the XLE interior as well.  I wonder what the re-designed Solara is going to look like.

I think the styling is going to turn-off the average joe car buyer tho. I know a few non-car people who turned their nose up at the new accord for it's non-box-like styling and this Camry is a lot more sporty looking than the Accord IMO.

The 07 Camry would definitely be on my list if I was mid-size shopping.  I didn't consider testing one last year when I bought the Mazda6.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 12:51:05 pm »
Anything is better than that barge of an outgoing Camry. At least it's proportioned now, even if largesse - hey, some people need the room, and it's not half bad lookin'. The V6 is probably the best part of this car to me, and the SE package for all it offers.

The SE interior is far and away my favourite - from the colour scheme (less blah bland), to the steering wheel, to the seat material. It all looks good.

The base Camry is a good effort too, considering the price.

The XLE Camry cannot be forgiven for that birch-ish overly shiney wood stuff. Terribly tacky.

The interiors of the Camry look better in photos than they do in person to me. They are better than the interiors in many mid-sized cars, and the room is decent, but they're not aww inspiring or anything. I guess it just takes more to please me, but the Honda Fit interior wowed me more than the Camry in materials and feel. That translucent blue-ish instrumentation in the console is cool, but man the font of those buttons is huge.

Camry is finally something I'd consider shopping, but I don't think it'd be my top pick in segment. I'd go Accord or Passat still, although the Camry SE could tempt me over the Accord - I'd have to have more time with it.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

avtoller

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 01:10:52 pm »
I have to agree with SAM. The plood in the XLE is inexcusable - looks like something from GM.  :P

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 01:15:40 pm »
I have to agree with SAM. The plood in the XLE is inexcusable - looks like something from GM. :P

Well considering Toyota is becoming the new GM, it's not that surprising!  ;)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 08:38:54 pm »
I have to agree with SAM. The plood in the XLE is inexcusable - looks like something from GM.  :P

Funny because I could swear the local Nissan dealer has a 2005 Pathfinder LE with the same fake wood that makes you want to  :hurl:

Too bad the SE V6 is not available with a manual trans...  :'(

At least the dash doesn't like it was design by Buick anymore...

von_khan

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 09:15:15 pm »
I saw a brand new black Camry sitting at an intersection the other day. My first reaction was to do a crazy headspin as I couldnt place the car. It looked mean, very mean. I'd say I dig it... The new engine makes my Mazda6 feel inadequate in terms of power to say the least.