Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Honda Fit  (Read 25043 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Honda Fit
« on: April 02, 2006, 11:57:10 pm »
First Drive:
2007 Honda Fit

2007 Honda Fit
Honda's new Fit subcompact hatchback is sporty, economical and extremely practical reports Chris Chase.  "It's what the Fit's interior can do that makes it stand out," he says. Clever seat configurations and a low cargo floor, created by moving the fuel tank under the front seats, has produced the most versatile interior in its class, he reports.     More...

a4_tom

Re: CD Article: 2007 Honda Fit
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 12:36:07 am »
There has to be more changes to our Fit than just "front end" because it doesn't have Jazz's wishy washy handling and floaty high speed/bouncy low speed rides.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 09:03:34 am »
It looks like Honda took a Suzuki Aerio and left it in the dryer only to come out with
a 2/3rds version of the same. 20K for this gutless tin box...

dorin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:30:56 am »
It looks like Honda took a Suzuki Aerio and left it in the dryer only to come out with
a 2/3rds version of the same. 20K for this gutless tin box...
Don't knock it until you've checked it out. 
http://www.cartalkcanada.com/forum/index.php/topic,44916.0.html

a4_tom

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 11:35:28 am »
If Aerio has 1/2 the execution of what Fit does, Suzuki doesn't need so much incentives to get them off the lots.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 11:37:42 am »
Aerio will be replaced by the much awaited SX4.

http://www.cartalkcanada.com/forum/index.php/topic,44076.0.html

If they price it right, they might be able to take a bite out of Fit sales.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:25:25 pm by Bullet Blue »

a4_tom

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 01:04:31 pm »
I have high hope for GX4, also wish Suzuki Canada will imported the widely praised JDM Swift to replace the GMDAT Swift+.

ghost

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 02:44:15 pm »
Honda can churn out crap and people will still buy em just because it's a Honda. Much like the 3-series can do no wrong in the eyes of Car and Driver.  ::)
Having not driven the Fit (and will likely neve will), it just looks like an Aerio. The Yaris hatch is still my favourite in the value sub compact segment.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 02:53:51 pm »
Honda can churn out crap and people will still buy em just because it's a Honda. Much like the 3-series can do no wrong in the eyes of Car and Driver.  ::)
Having not driven the Fit (and will likely neve will), it just looks like an Aerio. The Yaris hatch is still my favourite in the value sub compact segment.

So you base your entire opinion on the Fit on how it looks?  Way to go! :thumbup:

Panzer

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 03:23:54 pm »

Having driven both vehicles, I can safely say that the Fit is a better buy: more space (and combinations thereof), more basic features, more safety and better handling.

As for looks however, I'd agree that it does look like a shrunken Aerio...

Howswedeitis

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »

You're so very right people are so brainwashed when it comes to Honda that even a lackluster sub compact like this will be touted as being so much better than the competition. Not that I would ever look at a car like this
but it seems to me something like the Suzuki Aerio is a much better ride and value as it boasts a fairly powerful 2.0l has more space and has done well in crash tests. To my mind the Yaris is at least an attractive sub compact the Fit well only those who love Honda will find it to be nice....

Howswedeitis

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 04:17:10 pm »
If Aerio has 1/2 the execution of what Fit does, Suzuki doesn't need so much incentives to get them off the lots.

I won't defend Suzuki Canada's marketing abilities (or lack thereof) but what I will say is that if this
is the best that Honda can come up with then it bodes well for others and yes even the Korean
manufacturers who can surely come up with a better package than the dorky Fit. Anyone
can make a sub compact handle well...a tuned set of springs and shock absorbers with the right
bushing for roll bars can easily do the trick what's not so easy is designing a package that has
all elements ie styling, chassis rigidity, powertrain, handling and brakes making the whole. The Fit
just proves that Honda is no master.

dorin

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 04:19:46 pm »
It seriously baffles me that people hate a brand so much that they insist on dismissing a product without ever actually trying it out in person.  Especially given that there are lots of glowing reviews in the press and from reasonably knowledgeable people on this site.

Anyone is free to hate the Fit, but that opinion would sure be taken more seriously if it were backed by some kind of substance.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 04:36:44 pm »
It seriously baffles me that people hate a brand so much that they insist on dismissing a product without ever actually trying it out in person.  Especially given that there are lots of glowing reviews in the press and from reasonably knowledgeable people on this site.

Anyone is free to hate the Fit, but that opinion would sure be taken more seriously if it were backed by some kind of substance.

It's not a question of hating the brand not in the least. The problem is I wouldn't be inspired to test drive the thing because no matter "how well" it handles it's still an underpowered econo box whose styling leaves a lot to be desired. I've driven a good many cars both here and in Europe and I don't need to drive this thing to know
it can't compare to Europe's best nor is it any better than a Kia or alike.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 04:41:42 pm »
I agree the styling needs a refresh I don't think it is underpowered in the least.

ghost

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 04:45:02 pm »
doesn't it not have vtec.  ::) will a Fit SI be coming out soon?  ;D

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 05:56:27 pm »
It's not a question of hating the brand not in the least. The problem is I wouldn't be inspired to test drive the thing because no matter "how well" it handles it's still an underpowered econo box whose styling leaves a lot to be desired. I've driven a good many cars both here and in Europe and I don't need to drive this thing to know
it can't compare to Europe's best nor is it any better than a Kia or alike.

You said a few posts before this that you couldn't be bothered to test drive the Fit, yet you somehow know, unequivocably, that it can't compare to a European car. And people have the nerve to accuse the media of being biased. And don't kid yourself - Kias are decent cars, but NONE of them drive like the Fit does. Not even close.
I used to work here.

a4_tom

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 08:37:33 pm »
Saying about Aerio is better than Fit similar to B.C. Liberal "promised" Winter Olympics is not overbudget. :banghead: Its like comparing the best car in subcompact class to one of the unremarkable car in compact class.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 12:47:46 am »
We have both ends of the spectrum here ... people who really dislike the Fit and others who glorify it.  ;D

I'm somewhere in the middle ... I'm sure it's a "nice" car but I don'T really care for it.  Maybe it's the the number 1 in it's class but it's still a sub-compact with a 1.5 L 4-banger.  I guess it would be a good used car (close to base model) to have has a commuter and a 2nd or 3rd car.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline skypoint

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • Give me a turbo or give me death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 01:57:23 am »
The Fit is a love-it-or hate it car.

When I test-drove it back in October 2002 I was completely sold on it. My dad came with my for the test drive. Having just got my first job, I didn't have enough money for a downpayment and needed to borrow a few thousand from my dad.

He absolutely hated the Fit just as much as I loved it. He refused to give me the money for the downpayment to "save me from making a terrible mistake", so I ended up buying a Civic instead.

Nonetheless, the point is that you can take 2 people, show them both the Fit, let them both drive it, and one will end up living it and one will end up hating it.
Black 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T