Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Mazda CX-7  (Read 15344 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Mazda CX-7
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:45:06 pm »
First Drive:
2007 Mazda CX-7

2007 Mazda CX-7"A vehicle with the utility of a compact SUV and the soul of a sports car," the 2007 Mazda CX-7 "heralds a new generation of crossover SUVs," says Michael La Fave.  The Nissan Murano is probably the closest thing to the CX-7 he reports, but the CX-7 "undercuts it significantly in price."   More...

a4_tom

Re: CD Article: 2007 Mazda CX-7
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 11:03:13 pm »
I still don't like its proportion, especially the hindquarter. I am now putting all the hopes for the completely redesigned new CR-V, just wish its as significant as new Civic.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 11:14:20 pm »
Excellent First drive article, the best I have read so far, by far, on this vehicle. To the author:  :thumbup:

Well I'm glad to read the powertrain and handling are very promising. I am still a little concerned with a 4 cyl. propelling 3900 lbs but according to this article, it is doing a fine job.

It seems Mazda has another hit with this one. I find the exterior design very appealing, except perhaps from a side view. The roof curvature spoils the otherwise pleasing proportions. The interior seems to be in a class of its own, at that price anyway.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 11:38:28 pm »
18" wheels are going to make snow tires pricey...  but the vehicle seems very well thought out and well priced.  I like the turbo four over a V6 too...  something a little more "trendy" or a trendy vehicle.

robarakira

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 11:41:15 pm »
DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER.

Congrats, Mazda, on a perfectly executed vehicle at a good price.  Even though it's a Mazda, it's got side airbags!

Were I in the market for a non-luxury SUV this would get my vote.  It would be a great car for the girlfriend to offset my coupe!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 11:42:27 pm »
$2000 extra for AWD?  Okay, what about $2K for AWD on the Mazda3-Sport?  A reaonably well equipped (not leather, etc, but AC, you know...) 3-sport AWD for $25K-ish?  Yow!

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 11:51:30 pm »
Looks like it's targeted specifically at the Murano ... it will be well received but it won't have the success of the 3 or the 6 because of it's price and "restrictions".  Still, looks like a great CUV.

the second row shows: it's damn tight, but Mazda figures that probably doesn't
matter as their target customers don't have kids yet, are just about to make some

Translation: We know our 2nd row is tight and we don't care!  Brutal honnesty ... I like it!  ;D
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline Prius

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 01:59:19 am »
Hmmm, when I read this article, I had many feelings for this new CX-7. First it told me it was inexpensive. That's good. I heard it'd be around $30,000. My eyes opened up a bit more when he said it was under $40k loaded. That's a really good deal. Then it started saying the rear seat is small, and the fuel economy. ~ 12.9/9.2 for the AWD model? I thought it was a turbocharged 2.3 litre 4 cylinder model with direct injection? Shouldn't it be more efficient? Especially with a 6-speed automatic transmission which, as the author said, has a nice tall sixth gear for cruising?

If the Murano's the direct competitor, it has it beat with a bigger, equally powerful engine (slightly less torque though) on a heavier vehicle all the while consuming less fuel (12.1/8.6). The RAV4 V6 with a larger engine, more power, slightly lighter and more rear space clocks in at (11.1/7.8). Shows you the benefits of CVTs.

The CX-7's tyres sidewall height is in between the RAV4 and the Murano. I think to notice though. The Murano has less rear legroom than the CX-7 but I found the Murano fairly roomy at the back. Perhaps the author's 6' 5" frame won't fit but the rest of us will? Or is the design of the rear seat and maybe the backs of the front seats that make the CX-7 less comfortable?
2010 Prius Technology Package
LED ext./int. lights, 5000K HID low beams, OEM foglights, mudguards, USDM cargo mat

mdxtasy

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 02:04:52 am »
Article was OK.  Pictures are probably worse than Yap's ground zero view.  No rear seat shots....no cargo area shots.....all that was included was shots of the car surrounded by weeds.  I'm not sure what the car even looks like. 

This little cute ute looks pretty good on paper.  I'm not a big fan of the 'streak mark' on the seats....it's not as edgy as the FX in exterior design, but it looks pretty good.  It's not stunning by any means, but it does look distinctive in the otherwise plain jain small SUV market.

smainville

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 05:43:51 am »
Hmmm, when I read this article, I had many feelings for this new CX-7. First it told me it was inexpensive. That's good. I heard it'd be around $30,000. My eyes opened up a bit more when he said it was under $40k loaded. That's a really good deal. Then it started saying the rear seat is small, and the fuel economy. ~ 12.9/9.2 for the AWD model? I thought it was a turbocharged 2.3 litre 4 cylinder model with direct injection? Shouldn't it be more efficient? Especially with a 6-speed automatic transmission which, as the author said, has a nice tall sixth gear for cruising?

If the Murano's the direct competitor, it has it beat with a bigger, equally powerful engine (slightly less torque though) on a heavier vehicle all the while consuming less fuel (12.1/8.6). The RAV4 V6 with a larger engine, more power, slightly lighter and more rear space clocks in at (11.1/7.8). Shows you the benefits of CVTs.

The CX-7's tyres sidewall height is in between the RAV4 and the Murano. I think to notice though. The Murano has less rear legroom than the CX-7 but I found the Murano fairly roomy at the back. Perhaps the author's 6' 5" frame won't fit but the rest of us will? Or is the design of the rear seat and maybe the backs of the front seats that make the CX-7 less comfortable?

Hum...except that the RAV does not have a CVT.  The Murano has the best V6 in the world.  At 31k the CRV, X-Trail and RAV are all AWD, but not the CX, strange marketing move no?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 05:53:19 am »
Article was OK.  Pictures are probably worse than Yap's ground zero view.  No rear seat shots....no cargo area shots.....all that was included was shots of the car surrounded by weeds.  I'm not sure what the car even looks like. 

This little cute ute looks pretty good on paper.  I'm not a big fan of the 'streak mark' on the seats....it's not as edgy as the FX in exterior design, but it looks pretty good.  It's not stunning by any means, but it does look distinctive in the otherwise plain jain small SUV market.

I am interested in checking one out having experienced many hours behind the wheel of a Murano. After driving the Pilot and Highlander the Murano is not a class leader in the mid size SUV market. The ride, cargo space, rattles, and “jerky” CVT put me off.

Mazda has always priced their new vehicles aggressively and this is another example. The CX-7 timing is perfect as the Pilot, Highlander and Murano are due for major re-freshening. I think right now the battle will be with the new and larger RAV4.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 06:50:40 am »
Prius, to add to your concern about the fuel economy, you also need to factor in the cost of premium fuel. Premium usually runs about 20% higher than regular, the fuel consumption cost is equivalent to 15.5L/100Km (city) and 11L/100Km (highway) for a SUV/CUV running on regular gas. The CX-7 will be significant more expansive to run than a RAV4 according to the official fuel economy ratings. This is actually comparable to the heavy full frame Nissan Pathfinder with a V6 4.0L engine ratings...

Though the pictures being not stellar, for once the official website has great pictures so it didn't bother me much.

I though the Murano had one of the largest cargo area with more than 80 cu. ft? That is one thing you can't fault the Murano for... But that CVT trans is also a turn off for me.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 07:02:43 am »
Prius, to add to your concern about the fuel economy, you also need to factor in the cost of premium fuel. Premium usually runs about 20% higher than regular, the fuel consumption cost is equivalent to 15.5L/100Km (city) and 11L/100Km (highway) for a SUV/CUV running on regular gas. The CX-7 will be significant more expansive to run than a RAV4 according to the official fuel economy ratings. This is actually comparable to the heavy full frame Nissan Pathfinder with a V6 4.0L engine ratings...

Though the pictures being not stellar, for once the official website has great pictures so it didn't bother me much.

I though the Murano had one of the largest cargo area with more than 80 cu. ft? That is one thing you can't fault the Murano for... But that CVT trans is also a turn off for me.

The cargo space in the Murano is deceiving because of the angle of the hatch. It is not very usable when you compared to a Pilot or Highlander.

a4_tom

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 11:31:00 am »
FX's cargo space is even more deceiving than Murano, with that sloppy C-pillar. The overall cargo space is less than many compact sportswagons.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 11:36:41 am »
at $40K it's no CUTE UTE....more an expensive  "DINK"'eh!! TOY...... ;).........but dahlin' I'm sure little Apple/Amber/Aristolia/Darwin/Pineapple/Starbucks will be more comfortable in the New Merc waggen :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 11:41:45 am »
Is it the same "on demand" type of AWD system I'm assuming?

Oh and mazda REALLY needs to stop with the clear tail lights. They're overkilling it now. It does not look flattering on this vehicle or pretty much any other vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 11:45:25 am »
..ON a clear day ya can see a Mazda forever more.......da dee dah...!!!!!! :iagree:

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 11:46:34 am »
Oh and mazda REALLY needs to stop with the clear tail lights. They're overkilling it now. It does not look flattering on this vehicle or pretty much any other vehicle.

Yeah but the little ricer kids love it! Mazda is clearly going after that crowd with those clear tail lights!

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 02:13:51 pm »
What a nice step up from the Tribute.  We've got our X-Trail, but were this out a year ago, I'd at least have taken a look.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 02:18:57 pm »
Maybe pictures don't do this Mazda justice but I can't see what's so special
about its design. To be frank, I think it looks more than a little like the Nissan
which I guess is not necessarily a bad thing it's just that it's not the most
inspiring design to come out. I do hope it rides better than the Murano
however because that thing is brutal especially if you sit in the back
seat and happen to drive on Montreal roads.
I'm guessing the Ford version the Edge will be a better rounded
package than the Mazda...time will tell.