Author Topic: CD Article: 1989-1995 Volkswagen Corrado  (Read 25854 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 1989-1995 Volkswagen Corrado
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:43:21 am »
Used Vehicle Review:
1989-1995 Volkswagen Corrado

1993 Volkswagen CorradoWhen Volkswagen discontinued the Scirocco, fans were "curious to see how the company would follow it up," Chris Chase says. They weren't disappointed with the Corrado. But buyers need to be careful: spotty reliability and pricey repairs make it "a terrific weekend car," but "hardly an ideal choice as a daily driver."    More...

Howswedeitis

Re: CD Article: 1989-1995 Volkswagen Corrado
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:30:13 am »
The Corrado is still one of the best performing FWD coupes out there.
To be sure, this is the case for the VR6 models (with some easy mods
the VR6 performs better than the last gen Prelude). The Corrado always
had excellent/predictable handling especially if one compares it to
the Prelude, Celica etc. At the time we all laughed when
Honda came out with their 'four wheel steering' system which
was proven to be a not so elegant solution to improve that cars
handling. I'd take a early 90's Corrado over a Prelude, RSX rice burner
any day.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 09:47:49 am »
I have two friends who lucked out and found Corrados in excellent condition. One sold his 97 Golf for one, the other sold his 01 Focus ZX3 for one. They are very happy with them and have already started tuning. Haven't had the chance to take a ride in them yet, but my cousin used to own one adn I was very impressed with it. It looks damn cool too  8)

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:07:03 am »
The Corrado is still one of the best performing FWD coupes out there.
To be sure, this is the case for the VR6 models (with some easy mods
the VR6 performs better than the last gen Prelude). The Corrado always
had excellent/predictable handling especially if one compares it to
the Prelude, Celica etc. At the time we all laughed when
Honda came out with their 'four wheel steering' system which
was proven to be a not so elegant solution to improve that cars
handling. I'd take a early 90's Corrado over a Prelude, RSX rice burner
any day.

An RSX Type-S is just as good performance and 110% more reliability...  Although, I wouldn't really compare an early 90's car to a early 00's car...

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 10:11:36 am »
I think they looked very unique with the flat front and slopped hatchback rear, and had some sort of indescribable solidity look to them like the Passat of that era. The final years of production looked particularly good - I liked the dark green paint myself.

Look at the up and down price of the suckers when new, jumping all over the place!

Neat car. Haven't seen one in awhile though  >:(
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:18:21 am »
Come to think of it, I've only ever seen them in dark green or black  :think:

Howswedeitis

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:33:20 am »
I think they looked very unique with the flat front and slopped hatchback rear, and had some sort of indescribable solidity look to them like the Passat of that era. The final years of production looked particularly good - I liked the dark green paint myself.

Look at the up and down price of the suckers when new, jumping all over the place!

Neat car. Haven't seen one in awhile though  >:(

Indeed the forst green they had was a great colour...white was also nice, as for black well
most cars look better in black.

a4_tom

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 11:21:53 am »
Corrado is basically using Mk2 chassis with Mk3 G60 and VR6 powerplants. Mk2 chassis is famous for its agile dynamics, combined with Corrado's sporty suspension set-up and the result remains one of the most satisfied front drivers ever made.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +180/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 11:38:27 am »
They were a neat car.  It's too bad VW wouldn't bring out a new version.  Can you imagine how neat a machine an ATTRACTIVE new GTI would be?  :)  ;)

The salesman who sold me my Audi has a modified, red Corrado.  He seems to love his and is fortunate enough to have an Audi demo so he can use his Corrado as his weekend toy.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Howswedeitis

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 11:56:14 am »
Corrado is basically using Mk2 chassis with Mk3 G60 and VR6 powerplants. Mk2 chassis is famous for its agile dynamics, combined with Corrado's sporty suspension set-up and the result remains one of the most satisfied front drivers ever made.

Simplicity wins the day everytime!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 12:27:31 pm »
They were a neat car.  It's too bad VW wouldn't bring out a new version.  Can you imagine how neat a machine an ATTRACTIVE new GTI would be?  :)  ;)

The salesman who sold me my Audi has a modified, red Corrado.  He seems to love his and is fortunate enough to have an Audi demo so he can use his Corrado as his weekend toy.

HEY! ;D

A new Scirocco/Corrado nicknamed 'Rivo' (a name I like, as it makes me think of a slick, quick, boomerang) is rumoured to debut for 2008. MkV GTI based sport hatchback.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/30/20072008-volkswagen-scirocco-design-confirmed/

I'm diggin' it!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 12:37:07 pm »
HEY! ;D

A new Scirocco/Corrado nicknamed 'Rivo' (a name I like, as it makes me think of a slick, quick, boomerang) is rumoured to debut for 2008. MkV GTI based sport hatchback.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/30/20072008-volkswagen-scirocco-design-confirmed/

I'm diggin' it!

Oh yeah!  That'd be nice (I like the central exhaust outlets too).  Even if they revived the Scirocco name, it'd be cool.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 06:10:38 pm »
A very good friend had one (VR6) and he had to find an indoor parking because of multiple robbery attempts. Lucky for him they were obviously amateurs but it cost him $$$ and lots of aggravations.

A prospective buyer for one of these needs to consider seriously an antitheft system if he lives in a major city...

gta_driver

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 12:15:52 pm »
Wasn't there an Audi version of this car in the early 90's? I clearly remember a neighbour having one back in '92 or '93. It stuck in my mind because it looked like a Corrado, except it had an Audi frontend, different tailights and clearly and Audi interior. It was a red Audi hatchback. If memory serves me right, it came with Quattro.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 03:39:31 pm »
Wasn't there an Audi version of this car in the early 90's? I clearly remember a neighbour having one back in '92 or '93. It stuck in my mind because it looked like a Corrado, except it had an Audi frontend, different tailights and clearly and Audi interior. It was a red Audi hatchback. If memory serves me right, it came with Quattro.

I think you are thinking of the Audi Quattro...  Came out in the early 80's...

mithril

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 01:00:34 pm »
It's unfortunate that the author of this review didn't properly research either the resale market of the Corrado or the equipment differences between the US & Canadian cars.  It's further disappointing that allowed obvious typo's and/or errors made it into the final piece.  Quoting Red Book values for the Corrado is generally misleading as the rarity of the car (in a world wide production run of 1989 - 1995 there were only 97,512 produced) means that real resale values are quite a lot higher that what the Red Book in Canada, or Kelly Blue Book in the US, list.  For example there were only 87 1995 Corrado's imported to North America, all to Canada, and it was the only model year with airbags, meaning it's also the only model year that had be imported into the US.  As a result the real resale value of the 1995 ranges from $12,000 - $16,000..... not the $6,900 listed in the article.  In most CDN market's $6900 will buy you a G60 model in very good shape or a VR6 model in low-fair to poor shape.

The author mentions the electric seat belts as one of the things to look for when buying a used Corrado.  There were no Canadian, European, or Asian market Corrado's equipped with electric seat belts, all those market's received the traditional manual 3-point harnesses.  The US was the only market to receive electric seat belts and only the shoulder harness was motorized, the lap belt was still a manual system.  In point of fact all US model Corrado's were blacklisted for importation into Canada as a direct result of those automatic shoulder harnesses.  The mounting points used for the motorized track failed Canadian safety regulations and modifications to a vehicles restraint systems are illegal.  Other differences associated with the shoulder belts was a heavy under-dash knee bar in the US cars designed to restrict the occupants forward motion in the event of a crash if they hadn't buckled the lap belt.  All other markets including Canada received under-dash parcel shelves instead.

It's also hard to take the values listed at the bottom of the article seriously due to the errors contained in that graph.  Contrary to that graph, the VR6 engine was not available on any vehicle in any market in the 1991.  The only engine option for North American 1991 Corrado's was the G60 yet the graph lists that year being a VR6.  1992 was a split engine year with the early production Corrado's receiving the G60 engine and the later vehicles getting the VR6.  However in Canada there was no 1992 Corrado model year at all.  1992 G60's were sold as late 1991 model's and the 1992 VR6's sold as early 1993's.  The sticker prices listed are also a little low for Canada, but they seem to match the data for US sales.  According to the documentation with my 1991 G60, the car originally sold for $29,990.  There was little in the way of options for these cars (4 to be exact: leather or cloth, cold weather package, A/C, and sunroof) and all CDN models were shipped fully loaded because so few were shipped to Canada.  You had to place a special order with the dealership if you wanted a Corrado with less than the full option load.

Finally the author, although writting for a Canadian automotive site, overlooked one of the most respected Corrado enthusiast/technical help sites worldwide..... namely the Corrado Club of Canada.  That is very disappointing considering the linked Corrado Club of America (listed simply as Corrado Club) is a dying site that hasn't been updated in 4 years and every thread on VW Vortex (also linked in the article) talking about trying to resurrect Corrado Club of America references the Corrado Club of Canada as the gold standard and example to follow.

While it is nice to see the automotive press giving coverage to niche vehicles like the Corrado, it would be even nicer to see Canadian media use Canadian sources, reference Canadian equipment trim levels, and verify Canadian pricing information in articles like this.  Potential buyers rely on the information they find in articles such as this one to help them make their purchase decisions.  By providing misleading and/or completely false information you are unfortunately doing your readers a great disservice.

Geoff Virgo (a.k.a. mithril)
Administrator - Corrado Club of Canada
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:02:31 pm by mithril »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 03:20:15 pm »
It's unfortunate that the author of this review didn't properly research either the resale market of the Corrado or the equipment differences between the US & Canadian cars.  It's further disappointing that allowed obvious typo's and/or errors made it into the final piece.  Quoting Red Book values for the Corrado is generally misleading as the rarity of the car (in a world wide production run of 1989 - 1995 there were only 97,512 produced) means that real resale values are quite a lot higher that what the Red Book in Canada, or Kelly Blue Book in the US, list.  For example there were only 87 1995 Corrado's imported to North America, all to Canada, and it was the only model year with airbags, meaning it's also the only model year that had be imported into the US.  As a result the real resale value of the 1995 ranges from $12,000 - $16,000..... not the $6,900 listed in the article.  In most CDN market's $6900 will buy you a G60 model in very good shape or a VR6 model in low-fair to poor shape.

The author mentions the electric seat belts as one of the things to look for when buying a used Corrado.  There were no Canadian, European, or Asian market Corrado's equipped with electric seat belts, all those market's received the traditional manual 3-point harnesses.  The US was the only market to receive electric seat belts and only the shoulder harness was motorized, the lap belt was still a manual system.  In point of fact all US model Corrado's were blacklisted for importation into Canada as a direct result of those automatic shoulder harnesses.  The mounting points used for the motorized track failed Canadian safety regulations and modifications to a vehicles restraint systems are illegal.  Other differences associated with the shoulder belts was a heavy under-dash knee bar in the US cars designed to restrict the occupants forward motion in the event of a crash if they hadn't buckled the lap belt.  All other markets including Canada received under-dash parcel shelves instead.

It's also hard to take the values listed at the bottom of the article seriously due to the errors contained in that graph.  Contrary to that graph, the VR6 engine was not available on any vehicle in any market in the 1991.  The only engine option for North American 1991 Corrado's was the G60 yet the graph lists that year being a VR6.  1992 was a split engine year with the early production Corrado's receiving the G60 engine and the later vehicles getting the VR6.  However in Canada there was no 1992 Corrado model year at all.  1992 G60's were sold as late 1991 model's and the 1992 VR6's sold as early 1993's.  The sticker prices listed are also a little low for Canada, but they seem to match the data for US sales.  According to the documentation with my 1991 G60, the car originally sold for $29,990.  There was little in the way of options for these cars (4 to be exact: leather or cloth, cold weather package, A/C, and sunroof) and all CDN models were shipped fully loaded because so few were shipped to Canada.  You had to place a special order with the dealership if you wanted a Corrado with less than the full option load.

Finally the author, although writting for a Canadian automotive site, overlooked one of the most respected Corrado enthusiast/technical help sites worldwide..... namely the Corrado Club of Canada.  That is very disappointing considering the linked Corrado Club of America (listed simply as Corrado Club) is a dying site that hasn't been updated in 4 years and every thread on VW Vortex (also linked in the article) talking about trying to resurrect Corrado Club of America references the Corrado Club of Canada as the gold standard and example to follow.

While it is nice to see the automotive press giving coverage to niche vehicles like the Corrado, it would be even nicer to see Canadian media use Canadian sources, reference Canadian equipment trim levels, and verify Canadian pricing information in articles like this.  Potential buyers rely on the information they find in articles such as this one to help them make their purchase decisions.  By providing misleading and/or completely false information you are unfortunately doing your readers a great disservice.

Geoff Virgo (a.k.a. mithril)
Administrator - Corrado Club of Canada

Welcome and.... :fiver:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 05:10:46 pm »
Mithril, thanks for the thorough additions and corrections to the article, and as Snowman said, welcome!  Hope you continue to share with the forum since as you may have seen, fans of all genres, ages, makes and models of automotive art are welcome here.  We'd love to learn more about your particular Corrado(s) please.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 08:16:43 pm »
Looks like we have a new and knowledgeable VW fan.

Excellent post  :thumbup:

Welcome aboard mithril!

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 09:03:47 pm »
Great comments on the Corrado. 
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.