Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4  (Read 19790 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
« on: March 22, 2006, 12:45:01 am »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Test Drive:
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4Full-size trucks used to be the exclusive domain of domestic automakers, but the Japanese are in the game too, with offerings like Toyota's full-size Tundra. Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh drives the Double Cab and finds it roomy and powerful, but it's thirsty and you'll need lots of space to turn around.   More...

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
Re: CD Article: 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 02:03:28 am »
One of my pet peeves with modern 4x4 pickup trucks is the height of the bed.  I know it's the fashion to have 'high riding' trucks, but I'd rather have a 'low riding' truck with a lower bed height.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:13:42 am »
It's no wonder that Ford's F150 is the sales leader in this segment.
The Toyota is over priced and on balance isn't nearly as good as
the Ford . You just have to see what the 'tradesmen' are driving
to know that the Toyota doesn't stand a chance.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:40:38 am »
It's no wonder that Ford's F150 is the sales leader in this segment.
The Toyota is over priced and on balance isn't nearly as good as
the Ford . You just have to see what the 'tradesmen' are driving
to know that the Toyota doesn't stand a chance.

What do you mean by 'on balance isn't nearly as good as the Ford'?

And THE reason why tradesmen aren't driving the Toyota or Nissan pick-up trucks is because they cost too much. Those tradesmen want something they can buy or lease for cheap, and get a new one 2-3-4 years after that.

Wth that said, the new F150 is one heck of a truck, and unbeatable for the price. If I were in the market for a truck, and money was a consideration (like it is for most people), the F150 would get my first look. It impressed me a LOT when I rented one a few months ago. At high speed, it is the quietest vehicle I have ever been in.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 09:48:04 am »
What do you mean by 'on balance isn't nearly as good as the Ford'?

And THE reason why tradesmen aren't driving the Toyota or Nissan pick-up trucks is because they cost too much. Those tradesmen want something they can buy or lease for cheap, and get a new one 2-3-4 years after that.

Wth that said, the new F150 is one heck of a truck, and unbeatable for the price. If I were in the market for a truck, and money was a consideration (like it is for most people), the F150 would get my first look. It impressed me a LOT when I rented one a few months ago. At high speed, it is the quietest vehicle I have ever been in.

I guess to be more precise I'd say that the Toyota isn't nearly as solid (chassis wise) nor do I think the drivetrain albeit thoroughly modern it isn't biased towards torque which is most important and lastly the Toyota isn't as comfortable as the Ford is. I like you found the F150 to be really surprising from the standpoint of NVH and rides
much like a luxury car does. Evidently, Ford put some engineering and money into this one.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 10:14:11 am »
I don't know about torque... the Toyota V8 develops 313 lb-ft @ 3400 rpm... that is a pretty good amount of torque, quite low in the powerband. That's a better number than the Ford 4.6L (293 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm). Sure the 5.4L with its 365 lb-ft @ 3750 rpm is quite a bit more, but I still think the Toyota V8 does its job quite well. The Titan's 5.6L develops 379 lb-ft @ 3600. So yeah, the Toyota lacks the bigger (> 5.0L) V8 option, but still, it's 4.7L V8 is more than enough for most duties...

a4_tom

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 10:40:04 am »
We will see how well next Tundra stands against F150. At this point, even the much hyped Titan couldn't stand a chance against the impressive Ford.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 11:40:07 am »
Well, the Titan and the Tundra lines are being redesigned for late '07-'09 timeframe. Both will have HD variants, and reportedly diesels as well. I don't think either company is messing around, but now that we've seen the Tundra (and I'm not blown away by it) I'm looking FW to the new Titan. Wonder what they'll do with an all-new chassis?

In any case, if I were buying a truck today and had the cash the Toyota would be it.

Contrary to beliefs, this truck is big. Huge. The head and legroom in the cab is comparable to anything except Mega Cab, and the bed length and depth probably exceed most competitors, making the truck overall longer than most crews. It is a touch narrower, but I think it's more than sufficient, and looks good IMO.

I like the power, features (like the rear window), ride, size, and look of this truck. Plus, there's less of them around and they hold their value well.

Commenting on TCI's special edition packages, they usually put ridiculously cheap looking grilles on the cars and trucks. The Tundra would look 100X better in the front if they added the normal Toyota logo centred on the TRD grille. Also, I lament the lack of dual straight pipe exhausts out the rear like many in the US are outfitted or the TCI Tundra T3 edition. That was a good looking truck, except that darned grille! http://autonet.ca/francais/Nouvelles/Autonouvelles/storyimages/story8549-picture9152-L.jpg

I personally find the look of the US market "Access Cab StepSide" interesting too. It's certainly different.
http://images.google.ca/images?q=tundra+stepside&dnum=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 11:45:27 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 07:33:24 pm »
We will see how well next Tundra stands against F150. At this point, even the much hyped Titan couldn't stand a chance against the impressive Ford.

:iagree:

If there is one thing Ford really knows well how to build, it's pickups and chassis cabs. The latest F150 is still the benchmark. Or I should say the F-Series is.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 12:38:44 am »
The next Tundra will be better, bigger (they won't make the same mistake twice) and probably pricier than the old one.  I saw some pictures of the undercarriage ... seems to be missing protective platting at a few places.  ???

The problem with the Ford is the way they package their options (a lot like Dodge).  I just find it amusing that the 4WD can be cheaper than the 2WD depending on the time of year.  Also, their box is as deep as an olympic pool and it's a little too nervous on the gas.

Nissan had a good "first try" with the Titan ... what are they going to improve with the new one?  Model range? Price?

GMC/Chevy's new line is coming out later in the year ... looks very promising. (Couldn't find any decent pics)
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 11:01:15 am »
I personally don't think Ford is the one to beat, GM is.

The more I learn about the Fords and Dodge full sizers, the less I like them.

The new GM trucks will be the benchmarks.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 11:03:40 am »
What don't you like about the Ford? IMO, it's lightyears ahead of the current Ram and GMC/Chevy full-size truck... That may change with the new GMC/Chevy, but as of right now, the F150 is the one to beat.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 11:13:57 am »
What don't you like about the Ford? IMO, it's lightyears ahead of the current Ram and GMC/Chevy full-size truck... That may change with the new GMC/Chevy, but as of right now, the F150 is the one to beat.

The engine/transmission combos are not robust enough, little durability issues, and Ford not stepping up to the plate for service after sales. The F-Series is probably very good for a recreational buyer, but the commercial market is learning it's not as good as the GMs for heavy duty or chassis cab usage. Their Power Stroke diesels still have some issues, compared to the Duramax/Allison transmission in the GM. Part by part, I'm convinced the GM full sizers or medium duty C4500-5500's are designed to last longer and be more robust than the F-150-550 no matter the truck application.

Dodge is slowly coming up to bat and will get more and more serious with their trucks. They are branching into more segments of the truck market more seriously. In some places, they are certainly standout.

Combined sales, GM still sells more units than Ford, although Ford does very well. And overall, I think GM is the one to beat.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 11:31:47 am »
Well that's a reasonable explanation...   ;)

I was incredibly wowed by the refinement of the F150 (the ride, the nice interior, quietness level)... but I guess that doesn't make it durable or heavy duty...  :P

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 12:19:31 pm »
I hear the F is very quiet, but I find the interior looks better in photos than in person. It's fine and better than the current GM's, but not super or anything. And it won't match the upcoming GM's. Matter of preference.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 12:21:57 pm »
I hear the F is very quiet

Oh you wouldn't believe how quiet it is... by far the quietest vehicle I have ever been in.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 05:43:48 pm »
The engine/transmission combos are not robust enough, little durability issues, and Ford not stepping up to the plate for service after sales. The F-Series is probably very good for a recreational buyer, but the commercial market is learning it's not as good as the GMs for heavy duty or chassis cab usage. Their Power Stroke diesels still have some issues, compared to the Duramax/Allison transmission in the GM. Part by part, I'm convinced the GM full sizers or medium duty C4500-5500's are designed to last longer and be more robust than the F-150-550 no matter the truck application.

Dodge is slowly coming up to bat and will get more and more serious with their trucks. They are branching into more segments of the truck market more seriously. In some places, they are certainly standout.

Combined sales, GM still sells more units than Ford, although Ford does very well. And overall, I think GM is the one to beat.

You are mixing up a little your truck categories. You can't compare a C5500 with a F550. C5500's competition is the F650 (both up to 26,000 lbs GVWR). And the Ford F650 offers Cummins and Caterpillar with Allison trans. Cummins is not available from GM. And if you're playing in this category, Cat or Cummins are more appropriate, IMO, than the Isuzu of the Navistar engines. Unless GM has changed its frame in past few years, Ford's used to be significantly stronger.

GM C-series compete with Ford's commercial truck F650/F750. The F150-550 are not commercial trucks, per se. GM has a big problem because they have nothing to compete with the F450 and F550. So they released a "lighter" version of their their commercial trucks and created the C4500 & C5500. It is probably an overkill for the GVWR class of 16000-2000 lbs GVWR.

I beg to disagree with you. When it comes to work horses, Ford trucks have a better reputation than GM in the fleet world. I was always told so by people working in the industry. I will give you the Duramax engine with the light duty Allison trans is a very, very good powertrain for the 2500-3500 chassis cabs and pickup trucks. Ford is working really hard in improving the last Powerstroke engine and is very involved with Navistar to resolve the engine issues. That Isuzu is a real sweet engine indeed.

That said, both Ford and GM need to check in their review mirror and watch Chrysler...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:21:29 pm by Benhaze »

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 07:12:02 pm »
Dodge is definitely trying to get in the "real" work truck game ... anybody remembers the Ram Power Wagon or the Ram Mega Cab.  I've only seen 1 Mega Cab on the road since ... so I guess these models didn't take.

DC is hoping the Ram HD chassis strategy works better than their previous attempts.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 08:05:27 am »
To say that a Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins diesel 4x4 is NOT a REAL work truck is ludicrous.  :P

a4_tom

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 12:09:56 pm »
If only Dodge offers Dakota with Cummins Diesel, that would be much better.