Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Lexus IS 250  (Read 12628 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Lexus IS 250
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:52:57 pm »
Test Drive:
2006 Lexus IS 250

2006 Lexus IS 250For 2006, Lexus has expanded the IS range from one model to two, the IS 250 and IS 350. Haney Louka drives the IS 250 and loves its "knockout" styling, intuitive controls and its Smart Key, but says the driving experience "isn't quite as engaging as in last year's version."       More...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: CD Article: 2006 Lexus IS 250
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:02:53 pm »
I want one of these, pretty badly, it's a beautifull car!  None on Leasebusters or on the autotrader....... I've looked  ;)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:56:05 am »
Beautiful car indeed. But I wish the base engine would have 3L displacement with more HP and mainly higher torque at lower rpm. Power isn't every thing, I know, but it would only make this car an even better one.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:35:28 am »
OR..   just do the really simple thing   offer the IS300 with a manual tranny.

the article says only 1 in ten buy the manual  second easy answer... price the autobox at $10,000

OR maybe better even yet... licence DSG from VW
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:20:42 am »
One endorsement was for the Smart key entry system and how this was becoming more widely availbale on $40K+ cars.
Across the water in that great car land of Britain. its available on the Yaris (although not standard). Interesting how the car companies decide
and which market gets what features

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 08:23:57 am »
I would LOVE a smart key, the new Grand Vitara has it for much less than $40k.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 09:00:24 am »
To my eye I hardly find the IS' styling to be "knockout". I find it to be not much more than a Japanese
version of a BMW 3 series. Whereas the BMW is purposeful looking following an evolutionary approach the Lexus is an overwroth attempt at best. I find the rear tail light treatment and front end to be nothing more than "squinty eyed" - if I could say that. Of course this is my subjective opinion but it's the sales
figures which will ultimately prove if this design catches fire with consumers. I see many new 3 series
BMW's on the road and very few IS'...I think Lexus will continue to do well with the RX330 whereas
the rest of the line will languish behind.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 09:26:28 am »
As hideous as I find the styling of the 3, the sales figures will be driven by the badge on the hood.

I drove an IS a couple of months back...with the manual tranny.  It was nice enough, but didn't blow me away.  Like many of the cars I've been looking at with 4 doors, the exhaust note is so muted...you can't hear much when you honk on it.

To get an IS with the manual & leather, I would have had to part with my 2-year old Protege5 and $30,000.

For that cash, I'd rather keep my car and:
(a) Get a used Porshe Boxster, or
(b) Get that beautiful 1987 Porsche 911 I saw with 38,000 km on it, or
(c) Get a used Cessna 152.

Needless to say, I still have my car...the Lexus dealer was "shocked" at my decision.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 09:40:01 am »
I much refer the styling of the IS to the 3-series, but that is my opinion. The 3 Series is about as common as a Chevy Impala in the GTA

UmroAyyar

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 09:47:41 am »
To my eye I hardly find the IS' styling to be "knockout". I find it to be not much more than a Japanese
version of a BMW 3 series. Whereas the BMW is purposeful looking following an evolutionary approach the Lexus is an overwroth attempt at best. I find the rear tail light treatment and front end to be nothing more than "squinty eyed" - if I could say that. Of course this is my subjective opinion but it's the sales
figures which will ultimately prove if this design catches fire with consumers. I see many new 3 series
BMW's on the road and very few IS'...I think Lexus will continue to do well with the RX330 whereas
the rest of the line will languish behind.

Nobody has any doubts BMW 3 series being the market leader in this segment, Lexus is catching up fast, this current IS series has sent shivers around the industry. I think the major put off for people is the inability to turn off the VSC system. Styling is totally subjective, this is one beautiful car and turns heads. As snowman said, BMW 3 is so common, its not a head turner anymore 'oh, so you have it too'.
A big effort on part of Lexus, a sports oriented car can never evolve enough, this is a second step for Lexus with the IS series, the only way is up.  :thumbup:

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 09:54:00 am »
For some reason, the IS feels so freaking small inside compared to a 3-Series... In the IS, I can't find a comfortable driving/seating position in any of the seats, while the 3-Series is excellent for the front seats, and acceptable for the rear seats.

And styling-wise, I think both the IS and the 3-Series are huge drops from their previous iterations... new IS looks bland and too conservative, lost its edginess. The new 3-Series is just weird... it was such a classy silouhette, and now it's just.... artsy. Not sure how to describe it.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 10:32:13 am »
As hideous as I find the styling of the 3, the sales figures will be driven by the badge on the hood.

I drove an IS a couple of months back...with the manual tranny.  It was nice enough, but didn't blow me away.  Like many of the cars I've been looking at with 4 doors, the exhaust note is so muted...you can't hear much when you honk on it.

To get an IS with the manual & leather, I would have had to part with my 2-year old Protege5 and $30,000.

For that cash, I'd rather keep my car and:
(a) Get a used Porshe Boxster, or
(b) Get that beautiful 1987 Porsche 911 I saw with 38,000 km on it, or
(c) Get a used Cessna 152.

Needless to say, I still have my car...the Lexus dealer was "shocked" at my decision.

I have to agree with you 100%...for the bucks I'd much prefer an 85-89 911 Carrera with that
sweet 3.2l flat six yeah...a couple mods say hollow torsion bars, front strut tie bar, new koni's and
a decent stereo and speakers ...sounds like a plan!

Jameel

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 11:41:16 am »
Not bad looking car, but it's underpowered for the price and the segment, it's trying to reach.  The HP should be around 240 to 250HP and torque around the 220 to 230 ft-lbs.

But I'm sure a lot of people that will buy this are just buying it for the name (over 40 crowd) or to pose (the 25 to 40 crowd).

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 12:55:05 pm »
The new 3 and the IS are both styling knockouts IMO. They look low, wide, short, sporty, and fresh. Their proportions will look good for years to come.

I find the IS too small in the back, but otherwise exceptional. Base pricing and equipment is good, but option packages are a little much. A-la-carte options for key features would send sales soaring I think. It's a shame you cannot turn off the VSC/TRAC - I think owners will get stuck with this vehicle in snow if my past experiences with the IS 300 are anything to go by.

This car is VERY competitive and is catching on. Rightfully so!

Best of all, the Lexus quality remains and the ride quality and interior trim I'm betting is better than the 3 as well. I'm sure many wouldn't notice the slight handling advantage of the 3, but I wonder if the intangible road feel is there for the IS?

Brilliant execution.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

froggy

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 01:28:18 pm »
 :iagree: with you SirAqua.
I wish they had more a la carte options like Xenon lights that you can you only get with the 10k(!) package!   :'(
I'd gladly take a base one + Xenon, I could use the 16 inch rims for winter.
Maybe a nice used one will do (I'd rather take a 3yo Lexus than a similarly aged BMW)

Not bad looking car, but it's underpowered for the price and the segment, it's trying to reach. The HP should be around 240 to 250HP and torque around the 220 to 230 ft-lbs.

But I'm sure a lot of people that will buy this are just buying it for the name (over 40 crowd) or to pose (the 25 to 40 crowd).

Once again, why are you a "poser" because your car is not >250 Hp!
A RWD platform, with great looks and lots of amenities for 36k does not scream poseur necessarly, unless it comes with 20 inch Chrome wheels!  :banghead:
I remember the same debate with the BMW 320i, so are you less of a "poseur" when you have a 300 Hp car and the maximum speed you ever go to is 120 kph?  ::)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 01:32:48 pm »
you never go faster than 120kph?  :rofl:

froggy

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 01:41:43 pm »
Sure I do, but I mostly left my days of cruising on the highway at 170-180 kph in Europe, and even if I still were there, it would be impossible to do now!  :P
I just think 200 Hp is a nice round number, but the raging Hp war makes it look dismal when your average family car (Sonata, Altima,...) has 250 Hp. But you know what, I am still faster than most people at the light (useful when there is lane merging involved) with my Civic and its almighty 117 Hp.
I guess for most people, it is all about having the 300 Hp b/c as you want the most your money can buy (aka "bigger is better").  :rofl:
So give me a used IS250 as a daily driver and a supercharged MX5 for the WE and I won't cry about not having the latest 450 Hp Hemi creature!  :-*

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 01:53:36 pm »
yeah I agree with you... I don't care about the numbers at all... it's all about how the car drives. I'm sure the base IS with its 2.5L is just fine... the BMW I drove a while ago was a 2.5L rated at like 185hp and it was more than enough power.

Jameel

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 02:22:41 pm »
:iagree: with you SirAqua.
I wish they had more a la carte options like Xenon lights that you can you only get with the 10k(!) package!   :'(
I'd gladly take a base one + Xenon, I could use the 16 inch rims for winter.
Maybe a nice used one will do (I'd rather take a 3yo Lexus than a similarly aged BMW)

Once again, why are you a "poser" because your car is not >250 Hp!
A RWD platform, with great looks and lots of amenities for 36k does not scream poseur necessarly, unless it comes with 20 inch Chrome wheels!  :banghead:
I remember the same debate with the BMW 320i, so are you less of a "poseur" when you have a 300 Hp car and the maximum speed you ever go to is 120 kph?  ::)

I never implied you need to have over 250HP to have a non-poser car.  I was implying most people under 40 who will buy this car will be more for the Lexus nameplate.  It will have nothing to do with the handling and obviously the performance isn’t that great especially when you have a 3400 lb vehicle with only 204HP and 185ft-lbs of torque. 

If you truly care / cared about performance, than you can get a WRX for that price or a 350Z, or an S2000.  Or you can get a Golf GTI or Civic Si for a lot less, if performance was the 1st on your list.

But as I mentioned above most people shopping for this car will look at the luxury, nameplate, Smartkey (thing), how much leather is in it, if it has an IPod aux input in the CD/MP3, how many memory positions the seats have, etc… before they even consider the handling.  At least that’s what I think.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 04:16:16 pm »
The new 3 and the IS are both styling knockouts IMO. They look low, wide, short, sporty, and fresh. Their proportions will look good for years to come.

I find the IS too small in the back, but otherwise exceptional. Base pricing and equipment is good, but option packages are a little much. A-la-carte options for key features would send sales soaring I think. It's a shame you cannot turn off the VSC/TRAC - I think owners will get stuck with this vehicle in snow if my past experiences with the IS 300 are anything to go by.

This car is VERY competitive and is catching on. Rightfully so!

Best of all, the Lexus quality remains and the ride quality and interior trim I'm betting is better than the 3 as well. I'm sure many wouldn't notice the slight handling advantage of the 3, but I wonder if the intangible road feel is there for the IS?

Brilliant execution.

I agree. If I were choosing between the two, it would be a tough choice. I absoloutely love BMW's but I don't know if I love them enough to justify the maintenance costs of actually owning one. Therefore the Lexus reliability would probably be the edge for me. Either way, they would have to be BLACK  8)