Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged  (Read 27880 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:29:14 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Test Drive:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS SuperchargedRunning the gamut from mild to wild, the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt tops out with the SS Supercharged model. It features a high-performance engine, track-developed suspension and tuner appearance right out of the box, so "all you have to do is drive and enjoy," Jim Kerr says.    More...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: CD Article: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 10:33:39 pm »
205 hp from a four banger is good...  but Honda can do it without a supercharger.  I know which one I would take, thanks.

robarakira

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:39:16 pm »
205 hp from a four banger is good...  but Honda can do it without a supercharger.  I know which one I would take, thanks.

which?  yeah... i wanna hear it again  ;)

The Cobalt has the upper hand with the torque, and is also fun to throw around the curves... but for my money I'd go with the Si.

I checked out an SS, but by the time you throw on a sunroof and side airbags, you're already near or over $30,000!

a4_tom

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 10:41:22 pm »
When a loaded Cobalt SS costs nearly $30k, I would buy a Mk5 GTI with 100 less horses but come with a far better chassis and driving experience.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 10:44:59 pm »
The Cobalt has the upper hand with the torque, and is also fun to throw around the curves... but for my money I'd go with the Si.

Civic plus Supercharger = insane torque and horsepower.  That's where my money would be going, without a doubt.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 11:00:53 pm »
The Cobalt SS is right there with the SRT-4 in performance. The Si and GTi would be lost and far back. Only a WRX for $5k more could be worthy to compete against these compact street machines: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0505_compact_sport_coupe_comparison/index.html

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:26:27 pm »
Oh here we go again the hp per litre thing. ::)  Yeah the Cobalt only makes 8 more HP with a supercharger but how many car lengths would it win by in the quarter?

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 11:27:46 pm »
When a loaded Cobalt SS costs nearly $30k, I would buy a Mk5 GTI with 100 less horses but come with a far better chassis and driving experience.

100 hp less? The Mk5 GTI has 200 hp as well.  ???

mdxtasy

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 11:30:17 pm »
The SS looks really good.  Nice lines and good proportions.  Engine doesn't seem to be too bad either when it comes to power.  Interior is miles ahead of the old Cavalier/Sunfire twins. 

The old Cavalier Z24 and Sunfire GT was always overlooked by the more competent alternatives such as the Civic Si, GTI, etc....but this thing looks to be a competitive offering.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 11:30:57 pm »

Civic plus Supercharger = insane torque and horsepower.  That's where my money would be going, without a doubt.

Then you also have no engine warranty either...

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 12:04:30 am »

Then you also have no engine warranty either...

Compression ratio may be too high for that to be an option.  It already needs premium fuel.

robarakira

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 12:47:46 am »
The Cobalt SS is right there with the SRT-4 in performance. The Si and GTi would be lost and far back. Only a WRX for $5k more could be worthy to compete against these compact street machines: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0505_compact_sport_coupe_comparison/index.html
Not to offend thee, but IMO the WRX err at least pre 06 versions were too soft, with too much body roll, too much turbo lag, too much family-ness, and too costly above the others.  Performance wise, it is quick, and in the leage of the SRT-4 and SS (in dry weather at least).

The GTI, Si, are right up there in their performance nature; just a step back in acceleration time.

The others have turbos or blowers, but the the K20 engine is equally boosted by being a high strung rev-ver. 

I think all are very fun cars, and in the end when you're buying into this philosophy that's all that matters.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 02:04:07 am »
Compression ratio may be too high for that to be an option.  It already needs premium fuel.

It's an issue, certainly, but not to say it cannot be done...  the same issue comes up with Honda D-series VTEC engines and turbocharging...  there are already Si's running superchargers putting 300whp to the ground...

What a car.  :D

That said, the stock Si would satisfy me in and of itself...  for a while.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 06:23:29 am »
That is one of the few good ponies in GM stable. The only real shortcoming of this car vs. its competition is the rear suspension as it is not independant.

As Mdxtasy pointed out, the interior is light years ahead of the Cavalier/Sunfire. And if the Z24 was often overlooked in the past, it was actually a decent car. We had a 1996 Z24 that gave us Zero problem during the 3 years we had it. It also proved out to be a far superior highway car than the Civic it replaced, being heavier and more "planted". We used to drive frequently the entire 401 highway and the Civic would wander on the road under heavy winds.

It all depends on where you drive. No doubt the Civic is a better commuter in city and better handler on less than perfect roads. But the Cobalt SS supercharged is faster than most of its competitors and I expect it to be also an excellent highway car, better than the Z24 was.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 07:20:22 am »
pre 06 versions were too soft, with too much body roll, too much turbo lag, too much family-ness, and too costly above the others.

I will only agree with the cost and turbo lag issues on the OEM versions, but being soft, having too much body roll, and family-ness I will call you on. :popo:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 07:57:34 am »
I think at the end of June when the temp is finally above 10C in Sudbury  :rofl: Snowman should take a SS for a little ride and he can compare to his other rides

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 08:52:37 am »
That is one of the few good ponies in GM stable. The only real shortcoming of this car vs. its competition is the rear suspension as it is not independant.

As Mdxtasy pointed out, the interior is light years ahead of the Cavalier/Sunfire. And if the Z24 was often overlooked in the past, it was actually a decent car. We had a 1996 Z24 that gave us Zero problem during the 3 years we had it. It also proved out to be a far superior highway car than the Civic it replaced, being heavier and more "planted". We used to drive frequently the entire 401 highway and the Civic would wander on the road under heavy winds.

It all depends on where you drive. No doubt the Civic is a better commuter in city and better handler on less than perfect roads. But the Cobalt SS supercharged is faster than most of its competitors and I expect it to be also an excellent highway car, better than the Z24 was.

Highway cars?!  Let me show you our all new Buicks...

mdxtasy

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 08:57:48 am »
pre 06 versions were too soft, with too much body roll, too much turbo lag, too much family-ness, and too costly above the others.

I will only agree with the cost and turbo lag issues on the OEM versions, but being soft, having too much body roll, and family-ness I will call you on. :popo:

Beat me to it.   :rofl2:

robarakira

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 10:38:42 am »
Besides me personally driving a WRX and feeling this way, there was a sports car comparison (by car and driver television) I recorded that compares the WRX to SRT-4 to SS to RSX-S to something from saturn with an ugly centre guage... ha

In the slalom the WRX was leaning heavily, way more compared to the others.

The RSX-S won.

..and as far as the family'ness goes; it's the only one with 4 doors that doesn't scream boy-racer (ie. is more mature)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 10:55:09 am by robarakira »

turbodiesel

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 10:50:29 am »
is the engine supposed to be twin-cam instead of OHV?