Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Volkswagen GTI  (Read 28776 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Volkswagen GTI
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:14:50 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
First Drive:
2006 Volkswagen GTI

2006 Volkswagen GTIBack in 1976, Volkswagen created the "hot hatch" segment with the GTI; now, for 2006, the company has released the all-new fifth generation. Peter Bleakney travels to California for its launch and reports on a car that's "a whole lot better than I expected."    More...

a4_tom

Re: CD Article: 2006 Volkswagen GTI
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:15:37 pm »
From what I saw from the interior pic, its true that Canada won't be getting auto climate control in the leather pkg as States does.

mdxtasy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:34:47 am »
New writer for CanadianDriver?   Peter Bleakney has a basic no nonsense style. 

Now to the car.  I want one.  Somebody buy one and give some long term reliability stats.....did I just say I want one?  Do I want one more than the Civic Si?  Yes.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 12:45:04 am »
Gimme that 4-door later in the year.

Somebody.  Please.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 01:00:35 am »
Sounds like VW could have a real winner with this new GTI. I hope so. Hopefully past reliability issues will be just that - past issues. Could be a real fun driver. On looks and packaging, I would take this over the Civic Si.  :thumbup: :thumbup:
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 06:33:35 am »
me too  I had one of the first GTI 16Vcars and if the new one is a much fun...
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:40:33 am »
I suppose its never too late, but with a redesigned Golf just around the corner, why VW does what it does with the North American market makes on ewonder.

Golf V (2003–)
The fifth generation Golf was unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show in October of 2003 and went on sale in Europe one month later. It was not released in the United States until January of 2006, however, and then only in GTi form through spring. For the presentation of the new Golf, Wolfsburg was renamed to Golfsburg for a week.

In order to counter criticisms of the average dynamics of the previous model, it is widely reputed that Volkswagen "poached" from Ford the engineering team who designed the multi-link rear suspension system of the Ford Focus, widely regarded as the class benchmark for ride and handling. Indeed, the rear suspension of Golf V (a modified wishbone arrangement) bears an uncanny resemblance to that of the Focus.

Options for engines and transmissions vary from country to country, but the Golf is available in 4-cylinder and VR6 gasoline-powered versions and turbo direct injection diesel-engined models in most places, with transmission options that include manual, automatic, Tiptronic, and direct shift gearbox. All of the Golf's engines, including the VR6, have the engine mounting points in the same place, making it possible to remove one engine and replace it with another while making few other modifications to the car.

In December 2004, Volkswagen announced the Golf Plus variant of the Golf V. It is taller than the "regular" Golf but shorter than the Touran, the MPV version of the Golf. The Plus would replace the Variant station wagon in the Golf lineup, although the Variant might be released.

There will be no convertible version of the Golf V, as the Eos coupe-convertible (to be introduced in Spring 2006) will be marketed as a separate model, and does not share any body panels with another Volkswagen model - although it is based on the Jetta/Golf platform.

[Performance models
The Golf V GTI is hailed as a return to form for the creator of the genre. The production Golf GTI was unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show in January, 2006 and the 3-door GTI appeared at United States dealerships beginning later that month. The 5-door version is expected to arrive around the same time as the standard Golf sometime in Summer 2006. The GTI features Fuel Stratified Injection, a turbocharger and a direct-shift gearbox. However, it is already facing stiff competition from the Renault Mégane Trophy and to a greater degree, the Opel Astra OPC in Europe.

In late September, the R32 will be sold in Europe. It features a 3.2 L V6 FSI engine with 250 hp (184 kW) and reaches a top speed of 250 km/h. Going from 0 to 100 km/h will take a brisk 6.5 s, reducing to 6.2 s with the direct-shift gearbox. As with the previous R32; there is permanent 4MOTION all wheel drive through 18" Zolder 20-spoke alloy wheels. Stopping the R32 comes in the form of blue-painted brake calipers with 345 mm discs at the front and 310 mm disks at the rear.

In September 2005, the Golf V GT was announced, which featured a 1.4 L engine in a new and impressive Twin-Charger configuration. This new TSI engine is based on the recent FSI, but with a pair of chargers forcing the induction of the air. The chargers are a single supercharger that disengages after a specified rev-range, at which point charging of the air is handled by a single turbocharger. This system could benefit from both of the efficiency of the supercharger in the lower rev ranges, with the longevity of the turbocharger when in full flight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Golf

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 08:03:33 am »
Reliability issues aside, if I were looking to buy in the $30k fwd sporty coupe/hatch market the GTI would be at the top of my list. And the TV ads are to die for, my six year old wants to see them every morning before school. I can just hear him in the halls, “Unpimp the auto”. He has the VW hand gesture working for him.

The only car that would knock the new offering from VW from the top spot would be the dated but superb RSX.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 09:02:54 am »
I'll take mine in black, 18 inch wheels with 5 doors. Count me in for one who would take this over the Si too!

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:17:02 am »
From what I saw from the interior pic, its true that Canada won't be getting auto climate control in the leather pkg as States does.

That's a relief. I'm seriously considering this car. Make mine silver, five doors, cloth seats, manual trans. and sunroof.

Jameel

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 09:25:28 am »
Looks like they're going to have a winner on their hands.

With a chip upgrade 240HP and 258 lb-ft of torque, yikes. :bounce:

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 09:41:22 am »
So is there a 4-door GTI coming soon? I'll wait a few years so that we know a bit more about its reliability (new DSG transmission, new 2.0T engine, etc, etc.), and that they start including a few more standard features with it like auto climate control, and 4 doors... and it will be very tempting to get one!! With the DSG transmission, it will be PERFECT for me and my gf!

And the added bonus is that the new Golf platform gives a little bit more headroom all around, and a little bit more legroom at the back... It's now pretty much the perfect little car IMO!  ;D

I can't wait!!!  :skid:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +180/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 09:44:36 am »
I think I'd need to take each the Si and the GTI for lengthy test drives before being able to decide which I'd prefer.  Each has endearing qualities about them that the other lacks that could sway my decision either way.  It'd be the amount of GPK (grins per km) that either car earned to get my vote that would be the deciding factor.  Wish I could replace Wiffy's Civic coupe with a 5-door GTI (that way it'd be practical and all  ;) )
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

mdxtasy

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 09:48:33 am »
I'll take a black 2dr GTI....with the HOLLOW 18" rims.....no need for leather.  But a sunroof would be nice.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 09:56:51 am »
VW has a world class contender on it's hands. It's surely a much more sophisticated
and over all a much more successful execution of the compact car concept than it's
Japanese competitors. The Civic et al don't compare when it comes to performance,
safety, comfort and overall performance. On balance, this car is in a league of it's own.
That said I certainly hope VW has made the changes necessary to ensure reliability
specifically with regards to engine durability and electrical issues. Suffice to say,
hopefully VW has learned that it needs to recommend synthetic oil for their
turbo charged cars.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 10:58:43 am »
Of note, Canadian cars are 2007 models.

I'm getting VERY close to committing to a June delivery of a 3dr, sunroof, 18" white model. For a change, silver GTI's are hard to come by... it would be my second choice, but I like the clean white.

I'm hearing conflicting stories on how good the 6-spd manual is to operate. I'm thinking I may go DSG after all, but will drive them first to be sure.

Unfortunately, Canadian cars only get the dash-top air diffuser in Leather Pkg cars, and none of our models offer dual zone digital Climatronic, nor DVD-NAVI like in the US  :-\. Still, I'm thrilled with it :) Looks to be a dealership sales success so far, but production of GTI for Canada is stupidly limited for the year unless things change.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 11:34:17 am »
what's the dash-to pair diffuser you're talking about?

And yeah, I could easily do without the auto climate control... I would want the 4-door GTI though... as for color, they all look incredibly good... but I think I'd go with red!!

a4_tom

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 11:50:40 am »
Of note, Canadian cars are 2007 models.

I'm getting VERY close to committing to a June delivery of a 3dr, sunroof, 18" white model. For a change, silver GTI's are hard to come by... it would be my second choice, but I like the clean white.

Great choice. My GF's sister ordered the exact same color with leather pkg! ;D

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 11:56:32 am »
If the GTI has the same manual transmission as in the A3, it's not exactly a gem. I found it floppy and imprecise. However, as nice as the DSG is, I find it lacks the level of driver involvement that I prefer, so I'd still have to go with the manual.

I haven't heard anything new about the five-door model for a few weeks, but my understanding was that it should arrive in June around the same time as the regular Golf 2.5.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 12:03:58 pm »
If the GTI has the same manual transmission as in the A3, it's not exactly a gem. I found it floppy and imprecise. However, as nice as the DSG is, I find it lacks the level of driver involvement that I prefer, so I'd still have to go with the manual.

I'm worried about the lack of driver involvement with the DSG - that's my main worry... over time it will lose it's lustre. At the same time, seems to be a nice piece.

I've read about the imperciseness of the manual in articles like this today http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060302.wxwhvolks02/GAStory/specialGlobeAuto/

I think they're arriving around June too.

The Leather Pkg is worth it for what you get - those seats are fantabulous, but are just a tad too restrictive for me and I prefer cloth and love that Interlagos Plaid. For most, I'd say it's much better priced than the sunroof alone though.

The dash-top air diffuser circulates air indirectly - I think it's mainly used with Climatronic. It's on all Jettas and all Golf V's I've seen even though initially they weren't supposed to come with them; I believe they will be making a running change to delete it off base Jettas soon.

See above the centre vents in the article where there is an uncovered storage bin. Or actually here's a photo of the bin from a Euro Golf http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/albums//Volkswagen/Golf%20-%20GTI%20-%20Rabbit/Golf%20V/Interior%20-%20EU/085.jpg
vs this on US cars or Leather Pkg: http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/albums//Volkswagen/Golf%20-%20GTI%20-%20Rabbit/Golf%20V/GTI%20-%20US/043.jpg
The bin may be handy, but it's right in my line of sight so I wouldn't carry anything in it anyhow, so might as well have the clean-looking and nicely finished vent.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:13:40 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »