Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Acura CSX  (Read 45447 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Acura CSX
« on: February 23, 2006, 11:00:01 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Traction 2006:
2006 Acura CSX

2006 Acura CSX TouringThe 2006 Acura CSX has a more "grown-up feel" than its predecessor, the EL, says Laurance Yap.  Its 155 horsepower 2.0-litre four cylinder engine, "moves the CSX along with authority" while its optional five-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters "introduces a new element of fun," he says.  But the CSX's dashboard "will take a little getting used to."     More...

jitsu303

Re: CD Article: 2006 Acura CSX
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 08:24:04 am »
Acura CSX reminds me of the Trooper song "3 dressed up as a 9"  They REALLY irked my pet peeve...those stoopid J-hooks holding up the trunk lid.  When will they ever learn from the Germans (and now the Koreans) and put cantilevered hinges there?  Not only that, Acura took the time and expense to put plastic covers on them?  Like THAT makes the car look upscale. ::)

Jameel

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 09:22:59 am »
Why would anybody buy this thing, especially at that price?

You might as well get a Civic Si.

locutusx

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 09:41:20 am »
i quickly checked the article but didn't find any 0-100 KM/H numbers.

seeing as how it has the RSX engine, which is more powerful than the base Civic 06 engine, I'm expecting it to have better performance numbers. can anyone confirm this... ?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 10:06:48 am »
Acura CSX reminds me of the Trooper song "3 dressed up as a 9"  They REALLY irked my pet peeve...those stoopid J-hooks holding up the trunk lid.  When will they ever learn from the Germans (and now the Koreans) and put cantilevered hinges there?  Not only that, Acura took the time and expense to put plastic covers on them?  Like THAT makes the car look upscale. ::)

I prefer like it is on the CSX as they spring up more easily, and won't even break down... btw, the new Passat is very similar to this too...

I actually think they did it right with the CSX as the 'arms' don't intrude into the cargo area at all... and it looks incredibly well finished, no wires or anything. And no need to oil the hinges like you need on the other system.

I don't like that the hole isn't complete squared though... those little triangles on both sides will be a pain when it's time to slide a wide box into the cabin.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:09:18 am by Shnak »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 10:16:19 am »
That "triangle" is so that the car doesn't feel like a wet noodle when driving.

Howswedeitis

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 11:38:49 am »
I got to say not only is this car over priced but it's gawd awful ugly. I can't see what
people see in these cars. Yes the car is much more solid than previous generations
but that heavily slanted windshield (can you say A Pillar Blindspot) stupid circa 1990's
Pontiac TransPort/Chev Van windshield wipers and weird looking and deep dash with digital speedo
makes one wonder if Honda got it's inspiration from American cars in the 80's .
I know there are many who love Honda engines with their no bottom end torque
and high end horsepower but revving the sh*t out of your car to get somewhere
wears very quickly..unless you're a teenager I guess.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 12:05:49 pm »
I think Acura got it right with this, and I feel the Premium Pkg would be a good car for me if it were roomier. Great features, compact body, decent fuel economy, sporty feel, upscale dealer experience, sterling reliability and resale. It's a great single person car or couple's car.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

a4_tom

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 12:24:23 pm »
I have driven both CSX and Civic. I am quite amazed with the host of improvements in CSX like sports suspension, larger brake discs, 2.0 instead of 1.8 i-VTEC and quieter cabin. I always told my friends that if they can afford a Civic EX, they should go up to CSX. CSX is good value, IMO.

The problem with CSX is its market positioning, they should placed itself against Jetta instead of using A3 and S40 are direct rivals. The last 2 are more of a TSX than CSX competitors. Another problem for CSX is the introduction of Accord SE which have taken lots of sales from Acura.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 12:50:57 pm »
The problem with CSX is its market positioning, they should placed itself against Jetta instead of using A3 and S40 are direct rivals. The last 2 are more of a TSX than CSX competitors. Another problem for CSX is the introduction of Accord SE which have taken lots of sales from Acura.

True. And while VW looks to be trying to decontent Jetta for the same price, Acura has good luxury content.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 01:11:00 pm »
As one of the authors (Mr.Yap) indicates, I would rather spend my $ on a Mazda 3. Lot less money too for about the same power and fuel economy.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 01:37:48 pm »
I'm afraid the more I look at the Civic/Acura duo, the less I like the new exterior styling and the space-alien interior. For the money of the CSX, I just can't see it at all. I also would pick a Mazda 3 GT Sport over the CSX and have money left over. But, then again, I suspect I'm not in the intended market demo for these Civics/Acuras anyway. I know Honda will sell a bunch of them, and that's all that matters in the end.  ;)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

a4_tom

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 01:55:06 pm »
CSX is a more refined package than Jetta 2.5. But if VW Canada going to launch GLI at the same price as GTI, CSX could be well in big trouble.

Jameel

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 01:56:35 pm »
I know Honda will sell a bunch of them, and that's all that matters in the end.  ;)

I guess there's a lot of stupid people out there. 

The only feature this car has going for it is the "paddle shifter".

locutusx

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 02:12:17 pm »
and:
- leather seats
- heated front seats (loved them on the 1.7EL!)
- RSX engine
  - more low-end torque
- HID headlights
- sports suspension ("firmer", less roll? due to larger diameter sway bars i assume?)
- climate control
- better adjustable driver's seat
- JDM-styled headlights/taillights (nicer looking)
- slightly better warranty than Honda
- cheaper insurance than Civic Si

- anything else?

*note referring to PREMIUM since that's what most of us are talking about here*

That said, I hope that the later years sees a small price drop (does that ever happen?) or additional "free content" (foglights, better tires, standard spoiler on premium) or even a more tuned engine (~160hp, 145ft-lb) to make it a more likely buy for me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 03:14:17 pm by locutusx »

mdxtasy

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 02:33:14 pm »
and:
- leather seats
- heated seats
- RSX engine
- cheaper insurance than Si

- anything else?

Don't forget available HID and the vertical adjustable seating.

Personally, I find people who call others stupid for their choices in what to purchase to be  :banghead:.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 02:35:08 pm by mdxtasy »

a4_tom

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 02:40:22 pm »
and:
- leather seats
- heated seats
- RSX engine
- cheaper insurance than Si

- anything else?

Sports suspension, automatic climate control.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 02:55:51 pm »
Its luxury in a compact sedan with an sports attitude. Its for people who don't want to drive larger cars and want luxury, sportiness in a compact vehicle. Acura CSX gives you all of that, its in a segment on its own together with the VW Jetta. Its not an econobox.   :thumbup:

The only reason people like to trash Acura CSX because it shares its platform with Civic, Civic is not a little pony either.

People's choice also originates from perception which drives opinion. People are not stupid, they have differing reasoning for their choices.  :)

Disclaimer: I don't own one, I"ve been into one and my non-expert opinion is driven by perception.

Jameel

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 04:12:13 pm »

Personally, I find people who call others stupid for their choices in what to purchase to be  :banghead:.

Wow I didn't realize people are so sensitive.  Okay let me rephrase it, I like how UmroAyyar said it:

Quote from: UmroAyyar
People's choice also originates from perception which drives opinion. People are not stupid, they have differing reasoning for their choices.

Even with all the added features the CSX has, I still can't believe people will buy it.  I know a lot of people will, I just can't believe it. 

Look at the post regarding the RL doing very poorly, why? Because it's priced to high for what it is.  Same goes for the CSX it's priced too much for what it is.  I guess my thinking regarding Economy cars is different than other people.  I personally think no matter how much you spruce up an Economy car, it’s still an Economy car.  If you are buying it to “impress” people, does that really work with -what’s basically- a hopped up Civic.  This is like taking a really ugly girl, adding a lot of make up and jewellery and trying to sell her as a top model.  Ain’t gonna cut it!

Just in case you think I'm against small or enco-cars.  I own a 2003 Civic.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 04:19:14 pm »
The idea of Acura CSX is that its not an economy car. Its a compact luxury car. It continues to sell well because a lot of people who want luxury but don't want to drive a large car.

Synergies can be drawn between Toyota Camry/Lexus ES350, Honda Pilot/Acura MDX, Toyota Highlander/Lexus RX350.

But this is very unique. The idea of a compact sedan as an economy car is evolving to compact cars can be luxurily appointed as well.