Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Dodge Caliber  (Read 28115 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Dodge Caliber
« on: February 05, 2006, 10:28:06 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
First Drive:
2007 Dodge Caliber

2007 Dodge CaliberThe new Dodge Caliber delivers more than you'd expect in this class, reports Paul Williams. "What the Caliber does so cleverly is build on the emerging demand for practical and fuel-saving crossover vehicles (CUVs) and the popularity of compact cars," he says.  "The result is a vehicle that in many ways looks and functions like both."    More...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: CD Article: 2007 Dodge Caliber
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 10:39:18 pm »
One of my most anticipated vehicles of 2006...  right behind the Honda Fit.  Definately something I could see myself driving - good looks, good value, and hopefully a reliable vehicle to boot.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 10:47:32 pm »
Reliability will be the key. I hope it turns out to be a dependable car - it does look good!
I used to work here.

a4_tom

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:53:12 pm »
I just don't understand why carmakers have to force consumers to get a certain package to get ABS. :banghead: :banghead: When Honda makes ABS standard in all Civic, Chrysler should make it standard in Caliber.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:45:04 pm »
 :iagree:

The 17" steel wheels with covers also threw me...  who wants 17" steelies?

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:21:22 am »
:iagree:

The 17" steel wheels with covers also threw me...  who wants 17" steelies?

I bet those suckers are Heavy
Hopefully, the Dodge Caliber will be as reliable as he PT Cruiser has been.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

mdxtasy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 12:48:14 am »
This thing was built with value in mind.  The plastics look pretty cheap and the steelies and lack of ABS etc just prove that point.  However, it does look stylish and has some pretty neat features in a car of this price.  The 'fridge' is nice to have, but does anybody know if the thing constantly uses the A/C to keep things chilled?  The iPod thing is neat, but is very much in the way.  The sloped rear glass would probably take up some valuable cargo space too.  Those are my gripes (without even setting foot in it) but I like this thing more than the PT Cruiser.  I like it more than the Neon.  Do I like it more than the Ford Focus wagon?  Not sure. 

But I think Dodge has a legitimate contender in this price bracket.

smainville

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 05:44:15 am »
The looks in picture do nothing at all for me, hopefully it's much safer and reliable than the Neon/SX it replaces.  Chrysler wants to compete with Matrix/Vibe and the 3 Sport, that's quite the challenge.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 07:48:08 am »
Well rumour has it I'll get to toss one of these in AWD variant around like a rag doll come Saturday.  I'll let you know how I feel about it ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 10:00:24 am »
Oooh Goody ....give us a FULL story wif Pics Wing.........I like the little beast... :thumbup: :cheers:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 10:02:42 am »
I just don't understand why carmakers have to force consumers to get a certain package to get ABS. :banghead: :banghead: When Honda makes ABS standard in all Civic, Chrysler should make it standard in Caliber.

The $14-15k Fit will come standard with A/C, ABS AND 6 airbags... I can't understand some manufacturers still have the guts not to include at least ABS standard...  >:(

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 10:07:07 am »
WOTS the BIG DEAL with ABS.....we've discussed this ad infinitum other than Graeme Fletcher of Motoring 2006 who is hooked on Phoneyics ABS....the things suck and are worse in many situations LEARN TA BRAKE............... >:( :-X

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 10:10:01 am »
Let's not get into ABS here, we can leave that for another thread please start one if you like. 

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 10:14:42 am »
Looks don't do a whole lot for me. 17 inch steel wheels kinda threw me though. It's an intersting concept, and mot will probably like it. I mentioned in another Cailber thread that Neon loyolists who love to mod their cars probably wouldn't be impressed with this. Dodge may loose a good chunk of their customers... Then again, attracting a whole slot of new customers is probably more important to them.

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 10:26:19 am »
If this car proves to be as reliable as the PT Cruiser has been then Chrysler has a potential hit on their hands.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +234/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 10:33:21 am »
I too am not crazy about the looks.  

When I first saw the pre-production photos of the Dodge Magnum I was really really impressed.  Then when it came to the market, I wasn't as wow-ed. I think it's trying too hard to look like a truck and the design isn't very cohesive.   I find the same thing happening here.  I liked the early photos, but again think this design is too truck-ish with a lack of cohesiveness.  I mean, the rear reminds me of the Malibu Maxx, a car not known for it's beautiful posterior!

That said, I like the rest of it.  It seems Dodge have done their homework on the packaging front (ABS, notwithstanding).  They've also added a ton of novel features that make you wonder why it took manufacturers so long.

But 17" steel wheels?  Wow, owners are gonna be pissed when they have to put expensive tires on cheap rims.  C'mon dodge, spend the extra cash and give the peeps some alloys.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 11:53:18 am »
If its reliable it will be a winner.

Its feature loaded, rommy at a reasonable price. The target market likley isn't big on driving dynamics etc. Give me the features don't fall apart, give me room for stuff and keep the payments low and lots of people will buy it.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 12:26:26 pm »
I like the outside but was totally turned off by the interior. Cheap, cheap, cheap! PLUS, I could not fit into the driver's seat as my knees were jammed up against the dash. And the rear isn't all that roomy either!

That said, I looked at a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in a showroom Saturday while my friend's Dakota was being serviced (the outgoing Dakota's interior isn't bad at all), and that vehicle was horrendous as well. The load floor is high, the rear seat's bottom cushion is super short and curved for zero support, not to mention lack of rear leg room, and the front A-pillars constrict entry into the cabin, which looks pretty gimmicky, and the driver's floor mat had to have been the dinkiest piece of material I have seen. Why did they bother?

So if people are buying $45G GC's, I'm sure they'll be loading up on these Calibers. The engine and outside appearance are neat, there's some neat features too, superb price, but the execution totally turned me off.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +115/-427
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 12:34:44 pm »
I like the outside but was totally turned off by the interior. Cheap, cheap, cheap! PLUS, I could not fit into the driver's seat as my knees were jammed up against the dash. And the rear isn't all that roomy either!

That said, I looked at a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in a showroom Saturday while my friend's Dakota was being serviced (the outgoing Dakota's interior isn't bad at all), and that vehicle was horrendous as well. The load floor is high, the rear seat's bottom cushion is super short and curved for zero support, not to mention lack of rear leg room, and the front A-pillars constrict entry into the cabin, which looks pretty gimmicky, and the driver's floor mat had to have been the dinkiest piece of material I have seen. Why did they bother?

So if people are buying $45G GC's, I'm sure they'll be loading up on these Calibers. The engine and outside appearance are neat, there's some neat features too, superb price, but the execution totally turned me off.

I agree with you on the Jeep GC. Your description would equally desribe the Toyota 4Runner.  :o

Offline skypoint

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • Give me a turbo or give me death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 12:34:52 pm »
I hate myself for it but I actually like what I'm seeing here, apart from the white dash dials ( a chrysler feature that I hated since the rental Sebring)

As for the cheap interior... in this price segment you won't get anything but cheap interior. I don't mind.
Black 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T