Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Montreal Auto Show  (Read 14915 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Montreal Auto Show
« on: January 20, 2006, 02:15:01 am »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Special Feature:
2006 Montreal Auto Show

Saturn Sky at Montreal Auto ShowThe Montreal International Auto Show – now in its 38th year – will be the first opportunity for most Canadians to see many of the new production and concept vehicles unveiled at the recent Detroit and Los Angeles auto shows, plus some Canada-only cars. CanadianDriver was there and has this report, plus more than 50 photos!   More...

Tintin

Re: CD Article: 2006 Montreal Auto Show
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 09:24:56 am »
i am going this weekend.
Really looking forward of seeing these new concept cars in person.
The mazda CX-7 is looking worse and worse every time i see it, the body has nothing 'special' about it.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 10:22:30 am »
Looks crowded  ;)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:38:26 am »
I am going next weekend.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

davidm

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:18:35 pm »
Nice pics of the Elise, any announcements on pricing or availability?  Friend with one on order was expecting it in November, and now is in limbo with no status update.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 08:24:15 pm »
Then, somewhere WWAAAYY down the road is the Vancouver Auto Show.  Heck, by then it will almost be time for the 2007s :P :P :P
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 10:11:59 pm »
My wife has agreed to go to show with me. Quite a feat! This ia a first!

Want to show her selection of small SUV's. Does anyone know if Nissan has X-Trail at show. I reaaly want to show her that with hopes of getting her interested in purcahsing one.

X-trail is at top of my shopping list for now. Will have to check out new Rav4 as well but 4 cyl is all I want and need.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

CR-V/Tucson/Rav4

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 05:41:51 pm »
X-trail is at top of my shopping list for now. Will have to check out new Rav4 as well but 4 cyl is all I want and need.

Check out the Sportage as well then, it's a nice 4 cylinder model at a good price. I like the look of the x-trail, but the insides just didn't click for me. I hate the centre dash, and the storage area just didn't work for me.

The wife and I are also planning on doing the auto show thing, first time for us. Has to be Vancouver though, but I haven't heard any info on when it might be.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 05:49:56 pm »
My wife has agreed to go to show with me. Quite a feat! This ia a first!

Want to show her selection of small SUV's. Does anyone know if Nissan has X-Trail at show. I reaaly want to show her that with hopes of getting her interested in purcahsing one.

I was there Saturday and there was indeed an X-Trail at the Nissan display.

Good show, overall. That Saturn Sky is a nice-looking car.
I used to work here.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 06:36:49 pm »
I'm heading down on Sunday, the 29th. with my son in tow.  Already bought the tickets online so in theory we can just breeze in by all the rest lined up for their tickets.

This time I'll bring my camera.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

davidm

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 07:31:47 pm »

The wife and I are also planning on doing the auto show thing, first time for us. Has to be Vancouver though, but I haven't heard any info on when it might be.

I think Vancouver is normally end of March or beginning of April.  I'll be going with the wife for sure.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 08:23:56 am »
Saw the Saturn Sky and it is a beauty. Never thought I would use the word "beauty and "Saturn" in same sentence.

Wife hated the Xtrail but did not mind the Tuscon. I like the Tuscon but have heard bad things about the powertrains being unrefined and thirsty. Really want to stick with 4 cyl and obtain decent gas mileage. Have to see dealer but suspect lot of options not even available with 4 cyl on Tuscon (like leather & sunroof). Tying options to bigger engine drives me nuts!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 11:19:51 pm »
I went yesterday and I have to say that the Fit and GTI were my two favorites cars there mainly because they both offer plenty of room for tall guys in a compact/sub-compact format.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

- Fusion: interior felt was cheaper than I expected it to be, but otherwise, not too bad of a car. But really, anything is better than the Taurus...  :P
- The Nissan X-Terra was impressive, lots of room (passenger and cargo), well designed interior. If it wasn't that it was so truck-like and swallowing fuel, this SUV would be close to the top of my shopping list for my next vehicle.
- Toyota RAV4 felt very cheap... lots of cheap plastic everywhere. Doors feel light and empty. Didn't like it at all... this one is definitly out of consideration.
- Suzuki Grand Vitara, pretty nice... but rear headrests are a deal breaker... they come out at least 2" in front of the back rest, and since they only go up maybe 1 foot at the most, they go up against my neck. Since they come out so much from the back rest, it really is uncomfortable and I couldn't stand it for even 5 seconds. That's disapointing for otherwise very nice vehicle.
- Mercedes M and R-Class: WOW!
- Mercedes B-Class: disapointing. Seat was way too high, head in roof, yada yada yada... always the same story it seems...  :-\ Even my friend who is about 6'1, 6'2 tops had the same problems as me in most of the cars we tried...
- Yaris: hate its interior. Typical cheap Toyota interiors. Honda is so much ahead of Toyota in terms of interiors it isn't even funny.
- HHR: just like with the B-Class, the seats are just too high, which means my head is right in the roof. Heritage High Roof, but high seats too..
- Audi A6 was very impressive. Tons of room front and back, I really don't see the point to go with an A8 when the A6 offers so much space. I couldn't find a single flaw or thing I didn't like about the car.
- Audi A3 was very nice. A bit longer than the outgoing Golf, but the roof is also a bit lower. If I was 5'10 instead of 6'3, I would look very seriously at this vehicle. Other than its low roof, it was great.
- VW Passat: impressive as ever. They had the 3.6 Quatto model there, awesome vehicle inside and out, other than its around $45k sticker price if I remember correctly.  ;)
- VW GTI: more headroom!!!!!!!! Rear passenger space has been a bit improved too compared to the outgoing Golf. Interior is pretty similar to the new Jetta, which is definitely an excellent thing. I can't wait to see the 4-door GTI, or even the new Golf, when they arrive here. If they can get their reliabilty up, these will be excellent vehicles.
- Honda Fit: tons of room all around, incredible interior quality. In my opinion, the interior of the Fit is better (design and materials) than cars costing easily twice as much. Seating arrangements and cargo versatility is unparallelled in sub-compact, or even compact cars. This one is a car to watch, we'll see tons of them on the roads. Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Chevy and Suzuki better be ready because their days of not having a Honda alternative in the sub-compact category are over... and what an entrance the Fit will make! I didn't see the Versa from up close, but I honestly can't see how it could best the Fit, especially with it Quest-like exterior design which I don't like too much...
- Mazda 5: Finally got to see one up close... anyone that said that these third row seats are usable for anyone older than 6 has to be lying. The front seat was adjusted for a 5'6-ish lady, I sat behind her and had to slide my seat all the way back (it can only be adjusted maybe 5 or 6 inches anyways)... and when I did that, there was about 4 inches of empty space between my back rest and the seat of the 3rd row... I've always said that I thought this vehicle would have benefitted from having a normal 3-seat bench for rear passengers, and forget the 3rd row altogether, and this thought was confirmed. But the front seats were great, tons of headroom and legroom, and its interior design was top notch.

I'm probably forgetting a few cars that caught my eye, but that's most of it.

My favorite car was definitely the Honda Fit. Without a single doubt.