Author Topic: CD Article: Used Review VW Passat  (Read 30111 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Used Review VW Passat
« on: January 05, 2006, 07:20:41 am »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Used Car Review:
VW Passat, 1998–2005

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8TA sweet car to drive, with a smooth ride, good handling and enough interior space to make it a fun choice for small families, the last generation Volkswagen Passat also excels in crash safety, reports Chris Chase.  However owners have reported a variety of problems, mainly electrical in nature, but also engine troubles, he says.      More...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: CD Article:
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 07:38:44 am »
OMIGOD.......a '99 that was listed at $38,300 is NOW $10,680............and I almost bought ONE....there is a GOD!!!!...plus ALL the engine/electrical woes I avoided....Dieter LETS DANCE !!!!!! and don't TOUCH MY PASS_HAT..........Minkie.... :rofl: :bounce: :bounce: :banana: :banana: :bow: :bow2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +114/-422
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: CD Article: Used Review VW Passat
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:40:32 am »
I have had my 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon for three years now and it has never been back to the dealer ever. The most trouble free 50k kms I have ever had in a car (Loud knocking on wood here) ;D The best part of the 1.8T is the available hop ups. 30+HP and 40 ft-lbs of torgue for a $600 CAN chip. Awesome. :banana:

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:58:32 pm »
This article reflects exactly my opinion of this car. I always liked very much the design and was always interested in getting one. But I also heard pretty bad stories about VW reliability.

I need the input from CD members. There is a 2002 Passat GLX with 86K Km for sale in my neck of the woods. It is priced at $21K and is sold by a dealer so add another 15% to the price  :(. I thought it was a little high for a 4 year old car. Hopefully the V6 is more reliable than the I4... My other reservation is with some reviews indicating it is not a very good performer likely because of the vehicle weight. Looks like most of the recalls were prior to the 2002MY.

To any reader having any kind of personal experience with the GLX model: please post some comments. Thanks!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 11:48:51 pm »
but the Legacy's standard all-wheel-drive system and superior reliability at prices comparable to those of the Passat's give the Subie the upper hand.

Says it all.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 10:14:13 am »
but the Legacy's standard all-wheel-drive system and superior reliability at prices comparable to those of the Passat's give the Subie the upper hand.

Says it all.

Well... it doesn't say that the Legacy is smaller, probably uses more fuel (not sure on this), Passat has a way better interior, and drives differently (not better, as that's subjective, but different... Passat feels more heavy, planted, stable and the Legacy feels lighter).

Legacy does nothing for me, while I still find the previous Passat to be one of the most beautiful cars on the roads. Had I had the option of getting a Passat TDI instead of my Jetta TDI, there's no doubt in my mind that I'd be driving the Passat right now... Maybe in a few years, the used Passat TDI (Wagon or not) will be a bit more affordable (they keep their high value the TDIs!) and that'd be a switch I would make.

I wonder how the V6 drives with the automatic transmission though... probably a lot better than the 1.8T did... there was an annoying delay when accelerating from a stand-still that I couldn't get over... but with the V6, it probably is great.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 10:32:31 am »
“the Legacy feels lighter” Duh!... ??? :think:

A funny thing happens when you design a good power to weight ratio in the cars you engineer. The Subaru LGT has a lower centre of gravity with the boxer engine and driveline system. The Subaru LGT has far superior handling. Have you driven one Shnak?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +114/-422
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 11:10:36 am »

Says it all.

The big difference is that a 6 footer can fit in the back seat of the Passat, something that is just not possible with the Legacy. Years back I almost bought a Legacy GT 5speed and was very impressed with the handling and balance, it was just a little cramped for my height and kids seats. The new Legacy's look sharp but they too are a little to claustrophobic for my likes. The other item that I didn't care for in the Legacy was the frameless windows. The doors sound cheap when they are shut compered to a Passat. The Passat feels more solid. On the flip side I had to put stiffer springs, shocks and a chip to bring my Passat into Legacy performance territory.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 11:11:55 am »

A funny thing happens when you design a good power to weight ratio in the cars you engineer. The Subaru LGT has a lower centre of gravity with the boxer engine and driveline system. The Subaru LGT has far superior handling. Have you driven one Shnak?

Who's talking about the LGT? We're talking about the Legacy. And I have driven a Legacy Outback, and it did feel lighter than a Passat. And I'm not the only that thinks this, my previous boss is one of the few in Canada that leased a 2003 VW Passat W8 Wagon when they came out, and he said that the main reason why he got the Passat over a Subaru (when someone asked him that exact question) was because he didn't like how the Subarus felt light.

Remember? Some people like heavy-feeling cars, and others do not like heavy-feeling cars.

And nowhere have I said that the Passat handled better than the Legacy as you seem to imply... I said they drove DIFFERENTLY.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 11:21:05 am »

Who's talking about the LGT? We're talking about the Legacy. And I have driven a Legacy Outback, and it did feel lighter than a Passat. And I'm not the only that thinks this, my previous boss is one of the few in Canada that leased a 2003 VW Passat W8 Wagon when they came out, and he said that the main reason why he got the Passat over a Subaru (when someone asked him that exact question) was because he didn't like how the Subarus felt light.

Remember? Some people like heavy-feeling cars, and others do not like heavy-feeling cars.

And nowhere have I said that the Passat handled better than the Legacy as you seem to imply... I said they drove DIFFERENTLY.

Okay…..what does your interpretation of your statement translate into:

“more heavy, planted, stable”

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 11:22:47 am »
I don't know about you, but when I say heavy, planted and stable, that means that at highway speeds, the Passat feels like a vault and it seems as though you're driving at half your actual speed. I didn't say anything about handling.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 11:30:55 am »
I don't know about you, but when I say heavy, planted and stable, that means that at highway speeds, the Passat feels like a vault and it seems as though you're driving at half your actual speed. I didn't say anything about handling.

:idea:  :light:  :fall: Well Shank, you have just discovered the problem. Next time you are composing a post think about the people who are reading it, not the person who is typing it and life will be much better. We can’t read minds.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 11:42:50 am »
Since when have the words heavy, planted and stable been used to described handling? I certainly never saw them used to talk about handling. Precise, balanced or direct yes, but not heavy, planted or stable.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 11:55:36 am »
Since when have the words heavy, planted and stable been used to described handling? I certainly never saw them used to talk about handling. Precise, balanced or direct yes, but not heavy, planted or stable.

??? Planted and stable clearly are attributes in handling. Just because you do not understand is no indication the rest of the English speaking world does not.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 11:59:27 am »
 :popcorn:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 12:07:39 pm »
Someone (other than Shnak) please explain to me how I could be incorrect in my assumption.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 12:09:17 pm »
I think you explained it well enough yourself snowy. I'm with you on this.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 12:20:59 pm »
I think you explained it well enough yourself snowy. I'm with you on this.

Of course you are... beeeeeeeeeh beeeeeeeeeh

:rofl2:

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 12:22:39 pm »
Ya gots any more of dem dere kernels left BB? :popcorn:
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 12:27:29 pm »
No need, this thread is finished. It never gets anywhere as soon as Subaru and VW are implicated...  or the Ridgeline for that matter... :rofl: