Author Topic: The Great White Hype  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
The Great White Hype
« on: December 23, 2005, 10:27:38 am »
A Consumer Reports Study

Replacement headlight bulbs: A bright idea?

Premium replacement headlight bulbs are marketed as a functional and cosmetic improvement over the conventional bulbs found in most cars. The bulbs try to mimic the whiter, brighter light of the high-intensity-discharge (HID) lights found on some pricey vehicles. However, while these bulbs emit whiter-looking light, they don’t provide a consistent performance improvement in our tests.

Changes in lighting regulations in the mid-1980s allowed automobile designers to create aerodynamic headlight assemblies. These assemblies use a replaceable halogen bulb rather than an entire replaceable assembly. Headlight performance varies considerably depending on the assembly’s design, including reflector design and lens shape.

Expensive HID lights are a more recent innovation. CR’s tests have shown that HID lights can be brighter, but illuminated distances are often comparable to those of halogen bulbs. Premium halogen replacement bulbs attempt to offer some of the benefits of HID lights while retaining the vehicle’s original headlight assembly.

Bulb replacement is usually a simple task for most backyard mechanics.

MEASURING THE LIGHTS

CR tested five premium replacement bulbs, one from each of the top-selling brands: the APC Plasma Ultra White, GE Nighthawk, Philips CrystalVision, Sylvania SilverStar, and Wagner TruView. The bulbs are priced between $26 and $40 a pair (two to three times more than standard bulbs) and are sold in discount or auto-parts stores. All tested bulbs claim Department of Transportation-standard compliance; noncompliant bulbs may be marked as “for off-road use only.”

Tests were both subjective, to determine how well distant objects could be seen by the human eye, and objective, measuring bulb illuminance, or brightness.

Three test vehicles, a Chrysler Sebring, a Toyota Camry, and a Honda Ridgeline, were used to provide a variety of bulb sizes and original equipment (OE) performance.

Headlight distance is vital because the sooner an object is illuminated, the better the chance of avoiding it. Distance is measured outdoors on a moonless night, from a stationary vehicle. Black, unlighted signs were set up at various distances, and engineers recorded which were visible from each vehicle with each set of bulbs. Only one set of bulbs, the Nighthawk, improved low-beam sight distance for one tested vehicle, the Ridgeline. However, they reduced distance on the Camry. Generally, low- and high-beam distance either remained the same or decreased with replacement bulbs.

To test claims of increased brightness, CR measured illuminance, the quantity of light that reaches a particular area. Inside a dark building, a light sensor was placed at a distance 50 feet in front of each vehicle at different heights both on center and 8 feet to the right to simulate a roadway shoulder. Results showed some localized improvements, but no one bulb scored consistently better than OE. The Nighthawk and Plasma Ultra White improved illuminance in more tests than the other bulbs, some of which did not perform as well as stock bulbs.

Subjectively, all five bulbs emitted a whiter light than OE bulbs, which could appeal to buyers seeking the look of HID lights. Studies show that some drivers prefer driving behind whiter light than the more yellow light of most OE halogen bulbs, but that doesn’t mean you can see farther.

Some manufacturers claim that their premium halogen bulbs improve brightness without causing oncoming glare, a common complaint about HID lights. Oncoming glare is caused by a combination of bright lights and an inherent sharp light cutoff. This combination can exist in HID or halogen lights. Most of the tested bulb-vehicle combinations did not cause high levels of oncoming glare. But using whiter premium bulbs in the Honda Ridgeline increased glare to where it could be a discomfort for oncoming drivers.

BOTTOM LINE

Our tests showed that while they do yield whiter-looking light, premium aftermarket halogen bulbs don’t offer a consistent performance advantage over original equipment bulbs, and they can perform worse. Much of a headlight’s distribution of light is dictated by its reflector and lens, factors that remain unaffected by changing the bulb. And the combination of higher cost and some manufacturer specifications of a shorter life span than standard replacement bulbs add up to increased costs.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: The Great White Hype
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:42:52 am »
Bless you for posting this Snowman.  Unfortunately the masses o' ignorant won't read it (or care) and still put in faulty "premium" lights that aren't aimed properly, burn out 50 x's quicker and generally just :censor: me off on the highways and byways. 
 ::)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

avtoller

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 11:33:39 am »
Thanks for the post. Two things stand out for me - the tremendous variability from car to car for the same bulb, and the terrible performance for all lights in the Camry. Other than the obvious (stick with OEM), one thing is clear. Asking which bulb is best is not the right question. One must ask which bulb is best in this particular make & model.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 12:07:56 pm »
Thanks for posting this Snowy.  You're awesome.  I asked a while back about this and your post just answered my question.  Stick with OEM's.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 12:11:02 pm »
I have fallen into this trap as the “whiter” light gives me the impression that I can see better. My SilverStar’s emit a whiter light tan my OEM bulbs but perhaps has not increased the range.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 12:37:17 pm »
Satnding "nekked" in front of the RutRo again Snowie............!!!!! THONGS fer the Memories.....cheaper than a week in Cancun eh!!! O0 ...Man those "bulbs" look  BURNT ta ME...... :love:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 12:48:58 pm »
I recently had one of my expensive PIAA headlight bulbs burn out, and instead of paying  for a new one I replaced both bulbs with the factory bulbs that came with the Ranger.  Surprise, surprise, no difference in how far I could see. (did this before the CR article on bulbs came out).  Personally, I don't care what colour my headlights are.   I want better lighting, and the PIAAs did not give me any noticeable improvement.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 03:27:08 pm »
Very interesting article.  One question I have that was merely sideswiped in the study was the issue of light colour.  It was treated as merely a subjective quality here, but I wonder if within the area illuminated there is improvement in drivers' ability to see detail, or if there is a connection to eye-fatigue, from a whiter light.

I blew $100 on expensive bulbs a couple of years ago.  I don't think they shone any further, but then I wasn't expecting that.  Besides, that would mean more glare for oncoming drivers.  I felt I could see BETTER with the whiter light though, and felt them to be worth the extra dough...until one burnt out within a year.  Screw that, I said...and went back to standard halogens.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 04:10:14 pm »
...There is ALWAYS that GREAT WHITE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL................WDF...I'ts Stephen HARPER..... :P.............coming fer ta carry ya HOME........ :rofl:...Beware the ARTIC NITES are waning it's past SOLSTICE !!! TIME.....HID HID Hooray...... 8)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 04:34:35 pm »
I have noticed an improvement in the foreground with the brighter white light. I wonder if this will darken the background ahead on low beams.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 04:39:06 pm »
Hmmm...good question.  Off to the lab.  I need some test subjects to stare into the light.   8) :o

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 07:00:16 pm »
It's also an age thing.  I find it harder to see at night (while driving), as I get older. :drive2:

mdxtasy

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 03:40:16 am »
I don't think my Hoen bulbs give any further distance in light pattern.  However, I feel that the white light emitted from these bulbs reflect better off the signs and off the bikers.  The bulbs I have are rated at the same wattage as the OEM ones.....so they should not be any brigher....just the colour is different and the reflective properties are what I see as being advantageous. 

I've had my Hoen bulbs for over 2 years....no issues so far. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 06:31:22 am »
...Post Ho'en again Mdx..... ::).................open yer eyes @84i'm imagining yer verry sleeppy.... :rofl2:

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 11:39:06 am »
Great post snowman. I "was" looking in to getting some "whiter" bulbs,but I will stay with the OE.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 02:47:32 am »
Much like the movie ... find  a reason for people to spend more money! :P