Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T  (Read 17902 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T
« on: November 29, 2005, 11:15:01 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Test Drive:
2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T

2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T "Avant" is Audi-speak for "station wagon", a body style which adds a meaningful amount of cargo space and versatility to the sedan, says Brian Early. The 2006 A4 Avant's gutsy new 2.0 litre turbocharged 4-cylinder engine provides performance similar to the previous 3.0 litre V6, he says, but the six-speed "Tiptronic" automatic is "hesitant to downshift", and rear seat legroom is "less than spacious", he says.      More...

smainville

Re: CD Article: 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 06:39:56 am »
I would take a Legacy GT over this, more bang for the buck IMO.  Reluctant to downshift, engine vibration at idle, road noise, cramped rear passenger area, all for 42K.  The front looks are so so.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:25 am »
I wouldn't -- if I could afford either, I prefer the look, packaging, feel and driving dynamics of the Audi. But the price gap is admittedly a big one.

Small oversight near the end of the review: the A3 3.2 quattro is already at dealers (no longer "set to bow later").

mdxtasy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:28:29 am »
If 50K was what I was spending on a wagon, I'd be at the BMW dealer looking for a 3 wagon over the A4.  The interior is finished very nicely, and the boot is large for a small wagon.  I don't mind the grille so much...but those lights don't do it for me. 

mark

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 09:50:50 am »
A small nit to pick on the article.  The previous 1.8T does not suffer from significant turbo lag, which was mentioned twice.  Ferchrissakes, is 1800 rpm that far away from where people normally engage the clutch?  People have identified this apparent lag before, and I believe that its more an issue to be attributed to the tiptronic transmission - another reason to choose a manual (or DSG) over the tip.

Optioning this car up to $50K is the wrong way to go.  Take the basic package with sport suspension and you're set to go.  Even still, the competition is stiff in that ballpark, and each offering has its various strengths and weaknesses.   Despite my recommendations to consider Subaru, my wife is still leaning to a BMW as the next car, and I have already commited that its her turn to choose.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 10:18:05 am »
The Audi A4 is a big seller for Audi and it is a well refined car for the money. I drove Jeff’s 1.8T and found the power to be the only think lacking. I would suspect a fully loaded Avant would present some challenges on the highway. Turbo lag is just an excuse for people who do not have the necessary skill sets to drive a turbo charged car. With time and experience the ”Lag” can be overcome by proper rpm management. I would not consider the 2.0 with an auto.

I have seen a new A3 3.2 S Line here in Sudbury and if I had $42K for an Audi A4 Avant I would do everything I had to come up with the extra $2k and park one in my garage….Awesome.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 12:26:36 pm »
The Audi A4 is a big seller for Audi and it is a well refined car for the money. I drove Jeff’s 1.8T and found the power to be the only think lacking. I would suspect a fully loaded Avant would present some challenges on the highway. Turbo lag is just an excuse for people who do not have the necessary skill sets to drive a turbo charged car. With time and experience the ”Lag” can be overcome by proper rpm management. I would not consider the 2.0 with an auto.

I'd just as soon not have to make up for the engine's lack of linear power.  Why should I have to compensate for the car's deficiencies?  The car should drive itself, no?  :)

Seriously though, there were times when making a left in front of on-coming traffic when my heart would skip as I waited for the boost to arrive and whisk me out of harm's way just in time.  My previous BMW would just GO as soon as it was asked to do so.  I miss that car.  Of course in the wet or the snow, the BMW would just flash its ASC-T light at me and eventually go once it gained traction. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

a4_tom

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 12:54:28 pm »
1.8T's turbo lag is insignificant compares to many turbos out there. As for comparing an A4 Avant 2.0T vs A3 Sportback 2.0T, we had the same dliemma before we go for the latter. A3 is sharper to drive and that DSG sequential is simply an awesome technology. If we are going for leasing, we would have got the A4 Avant instead. 6.9% A3 SB vs 4.1% A4 2.0T. At the end, its also better to break the mood of 3 A4s in the garage than 2 A4s + 1 A3. :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 01:02:51 pm »

“100% Audi-free zone”
Jeff….explain your sig, did you finally dump that dog?

davidm

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 01:15:54 pm »
Put a slushbox on the 1.8T and you live in lag all day long.  One of the top reasons my wife is interested in us getting out of the vehicle (her eyes popped when I showed her a used V70R).  Also the reason we drive in tip mode all the time - left in D the car is pretty sluggish.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 02:59:50 pm »
I've driven the 1.8T in various iterations going all the way back to its first appearance in the '97 A4. Have tried it in VWs, Audis, auto and stick. As people have said, there's definitely a certain amount of lag involved and you have to try and take that into account while driving. Especially with an auto there is occasionally that pause when you want power right now. The 170/180-hp 1.8Ts are significantly better than the early 150-hp versions, at least.

Have also tried the 2.0T in stick, tip AND DSG and across the board it feels a lot more powerful than the 1.8T. I wouldn't have any concerns about power issues with the 2.0 and would choose it over the 3.2 FSI (but not the 3.2 VR6).

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 03:46:22 pm »
Put a slushbox on the 1.8T and you live in lag all day long.  One of the top reasons my wife is interested in us getting out of the vehicle (her eyes popped when I showed her a used V70R).  Also the reason we drive in tip mode all the time - left in D the car is pretty sluggish.

That is a main reason why I didn't buy the 2003 Passat 1.8T auto last year... I really didn't like that. The TDI with the 5-speed automatic is a much better combo than the 1.8T with 5-speed auto box is... I have no idea if that was improved with the 2.0T and 6-speed auto box in the new Passat... but it'd be hard to buy a non-DSG automatic transmission in a VW or Audi right now... the new DSG seems to be the best automatic transmission on the market and I hope I can have one of those in my next vehicle.

a4_tom

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 05:36:00 pm »
There are many news that both Porsche and Audi are phasing out Tiptronic for Gen-3 DSG in 07/08. Consider the fact that DSG already can substain the torque of Bugatti Veyron 1001hp beast, nothing else in Audi/VW/Porsche silibing can't take this awesome sequential.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 06:27:03 pm »

“100% Audi-free zone”
Jeff….explain your sig, did you finally dump that dog?

Took ya long enough, Snowy.  Yup... she's gone.  Now I'm using the Civic until I find something else (which won't be long because the missus is not pleased)... 

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 07:08:22 pm »
I agree with snowman that turbo lag can be managed with a manual transmission. The only downside is when cruising with the engine revving at low rpm and suddenly wanting to accelerate without downshifting. Someone who decides to make a left turn in front of on-coming traffic better be ready for it in the first place and take preventive action such as downshifting before or spooling up that turbo before taking off from a complete stop. I think driving skills or questionable action is more at fault than turbo lag.

And I would take the exhilarating turbo boost over linear power anytime. There is nothing more fun than dowshifting to bring the engine in its peak torque range before passing a slower car.;D

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 11:11:17 am »
I agree with snowman that turbo lag can be managed with a manual transmission. The only downside is when cruising with the engine revving at low rpm and suddenly wanting to accelerate without downshifting. Someone who decides to make a left turn in front of on-coming traffic better be ready for it in the first place and take preventive action such as downshifting before or spooling up that turbo before taking off from a complete stop. I think driving skills or questionable action is more at fault than turbo lag.

And I would take the exhilarating turbo boost over linear power anytime. There is nothing more fun than dowshifting to bring the engine in its peak torque range before passing a slower car.;D

Absolutely you're right that it is driver error that puts one in a position where they're sweating trying to make a left hand turn in front of traffic.  However, my point was that the lag - while minimal - does indeed exist with the 1.8T and can be a nuisance. 

Something more fun than downshifting to bring the boost up is downshifting in an already smooth, linear and powerful car AND THEN passing the slower car ala the S4's V8.  Plus, listening to a snarl and growl is better than a whistle in my opinion. 

a4_tom

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 12:20:44 pm »
Japanese driving enthuisasts prefer turbo with lag than no lag, from what I talked to some Japanese friends. Because for them, turbo lag defines turbocharger. :rofl2: :rofl2:

mark

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 12:45:51 pm »
Absolutely you're right that it is driver error that puts one in a position where they're sweating trying to make a left hand turn in front of traffic.  However, my point was that the lag - while minimal - does indeed exist with the 1.8T and can be a nuisance. 

OK, admittedly, I've been there at the left hand turn situation too.  For those instances, its better to drop the clutch at higher revs than you might normally do when leisurely starting off from a stop.  Like I say,  1800 rpms is pretty darn low, so not much lag to worry about.  When it does catch you though, it can be offputting to say the least.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +115/-427
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 01:06:34 pm »
For my requirements the A4 still hasn't addressed the lack of rear seat space. A few years back I was all hot on a new A4 Avant until I tried to fit a child seat into it. I had to settle for a Passat. :'( I still remember the scene in the Audi showroom. My saleswoman insisted" Oh yes the A4 will fit childrens seats, they are LATCH equipped". Eyeballing the rear seat I said "I had better go get a seat and check this out before I sign.". The answer is Yes! a child seat will fit, that is if you are a 5'2" driver :'(. Not only did I have to walk out that day but I think I also killed another sale to a young couple. ;D

For the $50k+ I would be eyeballing a used V70R with an extended Volvo warranty.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 01:59:14 pm »
For my requirements the A4 still hasn't addressed the lack of rear seat space. A few years back I was all hot on a new A4 Avant until I tried to fit a child seat into it. I had to settle for a Passat. :'( I still remember the scene in the Audi showroom. My saleswoman insisted" Oh yes the A4 will fit childrens seats, they are LATCH equipped". Eyeballing the rear seat I said "I had better go get a seat and check this out before I sign.". The answer is Yes! a child seat will fit, that is if you are a 5'2" driver :'(. Not only did I have to walk out that day but I think I also killed another sale to a young couple. ;D

For the $50k+ I would be eyeballing a used V70R with an extended Volvo warranty.

You could probably get a nice used A6 with extended warranty for $50k..  ;)