Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Mazda MX-5 GT  (Read 24481 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Mazda MX-5 GT
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:45:01 am »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Test Drive:
2006 Mazda MX-5 GT

2006 Mazda MX-5 GTSports car enthusiasts will appreciate the new Mazda MX-5's quicker acceleration, more comfortable ride and improved brakes, says editor Greg Wilson, but he thinks they'll find the steering too sensitive. "But it's a wonderfully fleet-footed, stable and confident car in the corners, and a real joy to drive," he says.      More...

mdxtasy

Re: CD Article: 2006 Mazda MX-5 GT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 12:56:37 am »
Never driven the new ones so all I can comment on is the styling. 

Dislikes:
The front lights look a little weird to me.  Too round and cartoonish.
The rear clear lights are horrible.  Put on the red with clear turn signals.
The way the exhaust just hangs there.  Not really an integrated look.
Position of the cupholders in the doors....imagine closing the door with a half full can of pop in the doors?  Splash.
Sits a bit high...large fender gaps.

Instrument cluster
Two tone interior
Two tone body/top combo

Overall, I like this car.  Haven't seen one in the flesh but so far so good.  I saw a black Pontiac Solstice on the streets the other day.....it looks very aggressive.  Much more so than the Miata.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 09:31:45 am »
:iagree:  I saw a solstice last week it was pretty cool looking

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 10:01:27 am »
When I was waiting for my MPS6 test drive I had an opportunity to check out the MX5 in the showroom. I was quite surprised to find how well I could enter and egress into the car with the top up and down. I was impressed with the design of the Miata and I hope to see a solstice soon to compare. I doubt I will see one on the read until May with all the snow we had this week. :'(

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 10:35:30 am »
I agree with the looks of the front of the car. If I saw that in my rear view mirror, it wouldn't be very intimidating. Very cartoonish. and I can't wait for manufacturers to get over their obsession with clear tail lights.

Otherwise, a good looking car. I love those multispoke alloys.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +180/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 11:13:26 am »
I think the biggest styling challenge faced by the Miata is how its nose comes up (likely to meet the European Pedestrian Crash Standards).  The headlights don't bother me and the taillights aren't my first choice, but aren't nearly as offensive as the ones on the IS300 or Altima.  I'd have much preferred some simple, red LEDs though instead -- isn't that whats in fashion this year?  :)

Overall, I'm a huge fan of the new MX5.  The Solstice is definitely the better looking machine, but that's where it ends.  Less performance... less practicality... less reliability(?) --> Mazda is the clear winner.

It ticks me off though that all these test cars are GT models.  Let's see how a GS model with all the go-fast goodies really handles the twisties!  It's such a better deal too... just wish you could get the heated seats on it.

Snowman, glad to hear big guys can get in and out easier than the old model too.  New MX5 gets two thumbs up from me... and I haven't even driven it yet!
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

a4_tom

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 12:34:52 pm »
The interior material improvement has to be most significant in MX-5's history. While the outgoing cars certainly weren't bad, the new one's softness is impressive.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 12:54:34 pm »
The interior material improvement has to be most significant in MX-5's history. While the outgoing cars certainly weren't bad, the new one's softness is impressive.

Is that right?  I haven't had a chance to get up and touchy-feely yet.  (I've only been able to peek through the window of a special edition).  The pictures make the plastics look kind of hard and shiny...  Interior kudos from an Audi-guy is high praise indeed!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 02:30:22 pm »
I like the interior too - wheel included. Along with the front lights, front in general, wheel arches, etc. The rear tail lights and lower bumper (exhuast just there, with the rear looking too far off the ground) are my only real gripes. Well, that and the fact it still revs too high on the highway.

I still couldn't drive one, but wish I could.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

msian

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 02:49:17 pm »
I think the designers achieved what they intended to do...that is the new MX-5 would be recognizable as a Miata from 100 feet away and would be recognized as something new at closer visual range.

The interior definitely is a big step up from my stark cold first generation Miata...and a real functional oil pressure gauge is back!

davidm

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 02:50:28 pm »
Funny, aesthetically, the thing that killed me in person was the horrible line in the front quarters between the sheet metal and the nose cap.  This big vertical line going striaight down into the wheel well, looked terrible to me.  Other than that, I like the styling quite a bit.  My problem is I want the car pictured, but with sport susp, LSD, and the stability stuff.

On the interior, I found the plastics a bit "hard", but they always have been.  The seats, steering wheel, guage pod is the best ever by a long shot.  I agree with his comments on the top.  I don't see how you lock the top in place from inside the car.  Also, those gaps on the side of the top when down are huge.  Those comments aside, fabulous top design and much better than the past cars.

The new 6 speed is supposed to be much better than the previous 6 speed.  The 5 speeds were always good.

When I get to buy a 3rd car and spend $40k on it (3 years or so - fingers crossed) it will be hard - old Miata completely redone, new Miata, old 964 911 (each has so many pluses and minuses).

msian

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 02:56:14 pm »
The other thing about the z-folding top is that the front 3rd of the top would be exposed more, relatively speaking, than the back 2/3rds. Wonder if that is an issue in the long run...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 03:04:33 pm »
The other thing about the z-folding top is that the front 3rd of the top would be exposed more, relatively speaking, than the back 2/3rds. Wonder if that is an issue in the long run...

Are you thinkin' in terms of additional wear and tear or sun-fading?  Good point, either way. 

msian

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 04:00:03 pm »

Are you thinkin' in terms of additional wear and tear or sun-fading?  Good point, either way. 

Yup, both...and the side gaps when the top is down would really bother me.
I guess it is better than having to put the boot on and accidentally scratching the trunk lid.
However, since I have access to another car to drive on rainy days, my Miata top was down about 99% this summer!  :)

a4_tom

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 06:50:12 pm »
The interiors of recent Mazda products really impressed me. All with excellent materials from velour to dashboard plastic.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 05:17:50 pm »
I would forget the GT model and get the GS.  I do wish they would have used a more conventional 17" tire size, but Mazda frequently uses oddball tires sizes.  They should STOP that practice.

With prices at $28K and above, all models should have standard AC.  And yes, it is handy in a roadster as a 35C day can be better with AC, and it also helps resale.

Overall, I'm VERY glad to see the Miata.  In the days of monsterous SUV's and giant non-handling behemoths I am relieved to see someone building a small sports car with a folding top.  Excellent.

SS1962

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 12:15:11 pm »
I have the 2004 Mazdaspeed Mitia which I really enjoy.
I drove the new one and deciede to stay with the one I have and buy a second car tthe Works Mini - ordered and be in in Feb 2006.

How do others feel the Miata Mazdaspeed verus the new one?

davidm

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 08:17:17 pm »
I drove the new one and deciede to stay with the one I have and buy a second car tthe Works Mini - ordered and be in in Feb 2006.

Not driven the new one, but I have driven the Miataspeed.  I prefer the styling of the new one, was never fond of the NB's.  Being the last year of the NB with extremely conservative turbo tuning I think you will have reliability on your side versus the first year of the completely new model and engine.

According to reviews, they are equally quick and I always prefer an NA vs FI car.  That said, without too much difficulty you could get a lot more jump out of the Miataspeed.  For starters, getting a useful sized intercooler would help a lot.  Add some bigger injectors, a piggyback computer and you've easily moved past the new Miata without crazy expense - maybe $2500.

Suspension and driving comparisons would be interesting - no idea how the new car will stack up.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 08:55:17 pm »
One of my favourite cars I have EVER driven was a 1993 Miata.  Short on power?  Sure,  but that diminished it's fun factor not a bit.  The stubby shifter seemed to be connected via thought and the steering was just-right.

Mazda has nailed EVERY Miata, regardless of year.  I've driven a 90, 93, and 99 and they were all a bit different, but all amazing amounts of fun.

They're bad used buys thanks to slow depreciation, but they hold their value 'cause they're built well and owners can't believe just how fun they are...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 11:23:03 pm »

Not driven the new one, but I have driven the Miataspeed.  I prefer the styling of the new one, was never fond of the NB's.  Being the last year of the NB with extremely conservative turbo tuning I think you will have reliability on your side versus the first year of the completely new model and engine.

According to reviews, they are equally quick and I always prefer an NA vs FI car.  That said, without too much difficulty you could get a lot more jump out of the Miataspeed.  For starters, getting a useful sized intercooler would help a lot.  Add some bigger injectors, a piggyback computer and you've easily moved past the new Miata without crazy expense - maybe $2500.

Suspension and driving comparisons would be interesting - no idea how the new car will stack up.

I'm curious to hear about what the direct comparisons are like.  The Mazdaspeed MX5 is even less of a daily driver than the new car.  And without the side airbags, and my preference for NA vs FI, I'd probably choose the new one too.  Plus, the GS model has everything needed for a true sports car and is a fair bit cheaper than the MSMX5 was.