Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8
« on: November 15, 2005, 11:41:04 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Test Drive:
2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8For 2006, the Volkswagen Touareg drops its V10 and promises a new V6 that may not make it until 2007. But the V8 soldiers on, and with a drop in price. Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh finds it incredibly comfortable, but not quite as impressive where the rubber meets the road.    More...

mdxtasy

Re: CD Article: 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:15:15 am »
Well that wasn't a very glowing review.  I have never driven the VW but it's surprising that even developed in conjunction with Porsche....the ride basically sucked in the Toe-rag.  The Porsche review seems better:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/05cayenne.htm

genetik_freak

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 12:57:37 am »
Another overpriced vehicle from VW.  When will they learn that $70K+ SUV's will only sell if they have a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. badge on the front?  They should learn from the Phaeton (which will be discontinued after 2006), luxury vehicles with the VW badge won't sell.  People want an image when they pay $$$, and VW just doesn't cut it.  VW should leave the luxury game to Audi and focus on making great cars in the $20-$45K range.

mdxtasy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 01:04:16 am »
I have to agree freak.  Maybe some new leadership will revise the company direction before it's too late.

genetik_freak

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 01:20:43 am »
I can provide that leadership...

1. Shrink the Touareg - make it cheaper and more competetive with the CRV, RAV4, Escape, etc. while still being somewhat luxurious with top notch fit and finish

2. Inroduce a new model under the Jetta to compete with the Corolla, Civic, etc.  The Jetta is no longer a competitor in this market.

3. Introduce a small roadster such as a Miata or Solstice within the same price range.  If done right, they may have a halo car like the Solstice for GM.

Well that's a start...  ;D

mdxtasy

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 01:34:43 am »
1. Shrink the Touareg - make it cheaper and more competetive with the CRV, RAV4, Escape, etc. while still being somewhat luxurious with top notch fit and finish

Like a Land Rover Freelander sort of vehicle?  Those things aren't cheap either....

2. Inroduce a new model under the Jetta to compete with the Corolla, Civic, etc.  The Jetta is no longer a competitor in this market.

Maybe it should go back into that segment?  Where is it heading?  TSX and BMW 3 series territory? 

3. Introduce a small roadster such as a Miata or Solstice within the same price range.  If done right, they may have a halo car like the Solstice for GM.

I think they have a VW roadster in the pipe.

carnut-52

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 07:35:33 am »
Jil,

While I enjoy your reviews, I find it frustrating when you use "cm" as an abbreviation for cubic meters (I assume that's what you mean); "cm" stands for centimetres!

Other than that, keep up the good work!

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 10:29:33 am »
They are already planning on introducing a smaller SUV call the marrakesh, that is supposed to compete with the highlander and the upcoming XC50, I believe.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 10:32:48 am »

I'd like to see a wagon version of the Mk. V Jetta with 4Motion. With the 2.0-litre FSI motor (~200 hp), it would be a great small-SUV alternative, similar to the Subie Forester.

As far as another small car under the Jetta, I think what VW should do is bring the Polo over here. I believe it'd sell well in Canada - just look at how well the Echo and Aveo do here. Price it right and the Polo would sell tons, especially in TDI form.

And as mdxstacy said, VW does have a roadster in the works - the Eos - but I believe it's still a ways off.
I used to work here.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 10:36:15 am »
Yeah, not very glowing at all for the ride/transmission/other. The Touareg is definitely too expensive competing in this class, especially with Benz sharpening their pencil with the new ML and vehicles of similar size (if not substance) like Murano and RX 300 for thousands less. The price drop for '06 should help a little, but the base V6 really needs to be priced under $50, not at $50, and there should be more stand-alone options so people can afford desirable items without opting for pricey packages.

The 276hp VR6 is scheduled to arrive late December/January.

Phaeton is discontinued after 2006 for North America. Probably a year or two after for elsewhere, where sales have been gradually building.

The Polo is years away, but seems to have been 'under study'  ::) for years already. They should just bring the damned thing.

A VW roadster would not be cheap, but I think one's still planned. Have you seen Beetle Cabrio pricing? Even the Eos coming in May will be lucky to come to market under $40Gs base. I'd be positively shocked if it does.

The smaller Touareg brother developed under the code Marrakesh (God, I hope it's not called that!) should be coming next year. The old Freelander, X3, and upcoming BMW/Benz/Volvo compact utes along with the top of the line CR-Vs are the competitors. There was talk of a Canada-only Golf Plus or jacked Golf Plus ("CrossGolf") with 4MOTION.

They really need a broader and more complete vehicle range - Jetta Wagon, 4MOTION models available in Europe, and the Touran for families really should have been on sale here already.

And a more satisfactory dealership and service experience would help.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 10:41:05 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

a4_tom

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 01:46:23 pm »
The introduction of Q7 would make Touareg even tougher to compete, with Audi's much better customer service.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 02:32:01 pm »
Yeah, I think that was the main motivation for the price drop myself. Make way for an actually decently competitively priced Q7 slotted above. It'll have more room and drive better too.

Mind you, the Q7 will be V8-only for awhile, so the price for that will be way up there as well, but more easily justified to people.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 07:17:29 pm »
Dropping the diesel engine seems like a move in the wrong direction to me...  if the Touareg had a really solid feature, it would be the available diesel powerlant.  Not enough SUVs offer diesel as an alternative...

Mind, that doesn't make it any less overpriced.  A smaller diesel VW SUV to compete with Jeep Liberty CRD would be nice to see, though.

a4_tom

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 07:22:51 pm »
The deletion of awesome V10 TDI Touareg could be VW's attempt to make way for "possibly" V8 4.2TDI Q7, since latter is likely to be the 1st Audi comes with TDI.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 11:49:49 pm »
Dropping the diesel engine seems like a move in the wrong direction to me...  if the Touareg had a really solid feature, it would be the available diesel powerlant.  Not enough SUVs offer diesel as an alternative...

Mind, that doesn't make it any less overpriced.  A smaller diesel VW SUV to compete with Jeep Liberty CRD would be nice to see, though.

Yeah because a lot of people shopping for a 30 something grand SUV will cross-shop it with a 80 or 90 grand SUV...  ???

VW should bring their V6 TDI... that'd be the best engine for the Touareg... and price it very close to $50k....

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 04:45:13 pm »
The V10 TDI was withdrew b/c the EPA discovered VW was using an engine additive for emissions control which was not approved.

Rumour was the engine was making a reappearance for late '06 or '07.

The current V6 TDI is not suitable for our high sulphur content diesel, and new regulations will not allow the current diesels in from '07CY onward, so don't count on it. All diesels will be going up in price by thousands in North America as of Jan 1st, 07 from the new regulations.

mdxtasy

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 04:52:36 pm »
Yeah because a lot of people shopping for a 30 something grand SUV will cross-shop it with a 80 or 90 grand SUV...  ???

What is that.....$150/month?   :rofl:

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 05:11:49 pm »

What is that.....$150/month?   :rofl:

Add a zero and you're not that far off...  :rofl: