Author Topic: CD Article: Luxury cars compete for AJAC honours  (Read 8289 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: Luxury cars compete for AJAC honours
« on: November 13, 2005, 10:13:36 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....

Feature:

Luxury cars compete for AJAC honours

Paul Williams drives the seven contenders in the "Best New Luxury/Prestige" category at the annual Car of the Year testfest, and finds it difficult to pick a winner. "Luxury is a very subjective thing," he notes. "AJAC journalists rated these vehicles using numerous objective and subjective parameters, but..luxury is very much about how a given object makes you feel."    
More...

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: Luxury cars compete for AJAC honours
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 10:23:35 pm »
The MB CLS500 would get my vote on looks, both exterior and interior; but that's a pretty weak reason without all the other info from actually driving the vehicle. I really think the 500 is sharp looking, and for me, that's a lot of what the "luxury" moniker is all about. 

The BMW wagon and the Infinity are good also. 

Pass on the Audi, the Lincoln and the other Benz.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 10:29:40 pm »
The 5 touring gets my vote

a4_tom

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 10:39:08 pm »
Audi A6 4.2, M45 Sport and CLS500 should be the closet to win in my book. :)

niteryder

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 12:21:27 am »
How were these cars selected - and was the Caddy STSV considered?  Would definitely get my attention...

mdxtasy

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 12:55:09 am »
Luxury should mean something.  To me, it means the image of a successful owner who has the financial means to purchase a vehicle that serves no other purpose than to pamper the owner and nothing more.  It will give him/her the wow factor and style that a properly designed luxury car should.  Eye catching exterior with a pampered interior.  The finest of materials inside and out (for the price bracket)....nothing less. 

Winner - MB CLS500.  It is one sexy looking car.  It's got the presense of what a luxury car should be carrying as it walks into a room.  EVERYBODY takes notice.  It's not about practicality, function, or budget....it's about style, power and panache/presence.  That's what luxury should be getting you....attention.  Great exterior design and a finely finished interior. 

Close contenders - Lexus GS and Infiniti M45 and Audi A6.  The Lexus is about superb fit and finish and one luxurious interior.....all packaged inside a bland exterior.  Because it lacks the exterior sizzle, it didn't win in my books.  The Infiniti M has some serious power...the exterior styling is a bit more exciting than the Lexus but the odd looking interior didn't do it for me.  It didn't convey a luxurious interior feel....too many electronic doodad buttons that will make the driver feel like Captain Kirk on the Starship Enterprise.  The A6 has a bland exterior (like the Lexus) with a first classs interior (fit and finish).  The centre stack isn't as nice as other cars though....

Not even close - Lincoln Zephyr.  What a horrible interior.  The design and angles of the interior make it look like the F150.  It's straight up and down....no angle no nothing.  Gauges look very small and the Mustang vents look cheezy in this car.  The exterior looks a bit bland but that is the high point of this car.  It does not exude luxury to me.  It has no presense. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 07:21:32 am »
How were these cars selected - and was the Caddy STSV considered?  Would definitely get my attention...

DOes not car have to be new on the list?
CTS-V as been out for a couple of years.
Should the DTS be there?

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 10:30:44 am »
He said STS not CTS.

a4_tom

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 11:55:08 am »
Toronto Star Wheels said STS-V dropped off right after GM realized they couldn't come out with enough production volume, in order to justify entering the contest.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 02:21:30 pm »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 11:47:04 pm »
To me ,somehow the design bits of the Mercedes CLS 500 don't gel into a fine looking car,tiny windows ,honkin front lights, long sweeping lines downwards diminish it's stature, sorry, it misses the elegance test.
                   None are particularly beautiful in the WOW,Mamma MIA sense......I'd pick the Infinti fer it's power,prowess and I like the interior & twiddling ma knob......!!!!
                    Don't see any CLASSICS in the making from this BUNCH....maybe the ZEPHYR!!!! :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once