Author Topic: CD Article: AJAC Canadian Car of the Year Testfest  (Read 13275 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: AJAC Canadian Car of the Year Testfest
« on: November 01, 2005, 11:45:01 pm »
You may discuss our cover story of the day in this thread....
Feature:
AJAC Canadian Car of the Year Testfest
250 cars, 63 journalists, and 4 days of back-to-back testing

2006 Corvette Z06For the past 20 years or so, members of the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) have gathered for AJAC's annual Canadian Car of the Year "Testfest" at Shannonville Motorsport Park, just outside of Belleville, Ontario.  This year's four-day Testfest, October 26-30, was another memorable event.    More...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: AJAC Canadian Car of the Year Testfest
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 11:57:19 pm »
Oh, great, you guys have all the fun and we get to wait until February to see who wins... :) :)

Some very nice machinery in that Testfest week.

wing - were you invited??
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

a4_tom

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:00:15 am »
Wondering when will MotoringTV announces their nominess? :D

mdxtasy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 12:01:28 am »
Oh the fun that must have been had by all.....if only the people who went were to come by the forum and have a Q&A about this wonderful event. 

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 12:42:22 am »
Seriously, how do I apply for a job like that and how much would I get paid?
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

avtoller

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 12:48:19 am »

I think it's sort of like the famous scene from "What's New Pussycat". Woody Allen has a job as a dresser in a strip club. He's asked "How much does it pay? "100 francs a week." "That's not much!" Allen replies "That's all I can afford."  ;D That may be the "pay" scale.  :'( :D :rofl:

mdxtasy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 12:49:32 am »

Get in line buddy....no budding or else somebody's going to get a hurtin'.  ;)

Scorilo

Virtually no ethanol in Canada? Good one buddy!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 08:48:39 am »
What is the guy talking about? Virtually no ethanol in Canada? HOW ABOUT SUNOCO? 10% in all their gasoline!!! You should go to Sunoco more often buddy! You're surely nor doing your homework. Maybe you should talk to one of your colleagues that posted about 3 weeks ago an article about ethanol in gasoline?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 09:09:24 am »
Hey Scorilo...welcome...and I believe he was referring to the Impalas ability to run on 85% OR ABOVE Ethanol...such as is available in Brazil...any "regular" car can run with the Sunoco 10% stuff.........but would have trouble with concentrations above that(I believe,but don't know stoiochemically why?) where are the chemists/engineers to answer that one......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 09:29:27 am »
Wow that civic must be GOOD if Paul was going back and forth on the civic VS the Z06!!

Great article.  No I wasn't invited I would have went no doubt if I had been, Z06 on shannonville?  I might not be alive anymore ;)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 10:33:27 am »
There are only a few high % ethanol stations, much like B20 biodiesel stations. Sunoco has the 15% and tends to have lower sulphur diesel, which is why I use them and encourage others to give 'em a go.

A select group of CAI students are given the chance to go to Test Fest to hand out keys and keep everyone organized. I never got the chance as I had a week-end job already   :-\

I'm really holding out that Civic / Civic Si or Mazda5 are Canadian Car of the Year. They're all relevant in what the Canadian buyer is looking for packaged with more affordability, fuel efficienicy, style, safety, and innovation within their segments. Very much a reinvention and re-energization (if that's a word) of what the typical Canadian family could afford to buy.

The Sonata and Impala offer great value, but break little ground in perspective (although I wouldn't be upset if Sonata took it). The B-Class is really smart - pardon the pun - but is a tad pricey for what it is, and while I'm sure it will make an impact in our market I don't see it as having as much significance as some other winners. Therefore, hoping Mazda5 takes that category to be eligable for CCOTY.

Wish I could just stroll around and watch all the action and reaction for testers in person. Would be something to experience! Next year let's all go as the CanadianDriver Car Talk Canada experts... 
:skid:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 01:18:53 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

a4_tom

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 12:13:14 pm »
My vote of COTY goes to new Sonata. ;D

smainville

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 12:32:12 pm »
My vote of COTY goes to the new Ford Fusion ;)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 01:19:28 pm »
Yeah, the Fusion is a really good entry as well. Something about it makes me apprehensive, but that's just me.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 05:59:02 pm »
Yeah Fusion is a front runner. Probably Lexus GS too. I actually saw a GS today. They look much bigger in person. Very nice looking.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 06:53:35 pm »
sirAQUAMAN - a huge big thank you to those students at TestFest - who did more than just hand out keys. They organized lunches, found lost objects, shuttled journalists back and forth in the rain and provided interesting commentary on the test drives.  Special thanks to Ronin, who was part of the SUV group, an aptly named car guy if there ever was one!!!!  ;D
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 07:47:41 pm »
What is the guy talking about? Virtually no ethanol in Canada? HOW ABOUT SUNOCO?

Thank you for proving once again that Ontario is the centre of the universe!  There are no SUNOCO stations listed outside of Ontario...  I'd say that that equates to "virtually no" ethanol, wouldn't you?

avtoller

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 08:41:08 pm »
What is the guy talking about? Virtually no ethanol in Canada? HOW ABOUT SUNOCO?

Thank you for proving once again that Ontario is the centre of the universe!  There are no SUNOCO stations listed outside of Ontario...  I'd say that that equates to "virtually no" ethanol, wouldn't you?

We DO have Husky in BC - it too is ethanol blended!!!  :o ;D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 09:29:45 am »
sirAQUAMAN - a huge big thank you to those students at TestFest - who did more than just hand out keys. They organized lunches, found lost objects, shuttled journalists back and forth in the rain and provided interesting commentary on the test drives.  Special thanks to Ronin, who was part of the SUV group, an aptly named car guy if there ever was one!!!!  ;D

Great to hear as a CAI grad myself!

Forgive me, but may I ask what role you played in Test Fest yourself Lesley?

I'd love to go one year (or more!), even just to scope it all out.

Any favourites or commentary on the event from you you'd like to share?

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 10:02:17 am »
You'd love it - and the students are an integral part of the event.

I'm a "car guy" lol, just like you. :) I write for this site, www.painkillerz.ca, Wheelbase Communications (illustrator) and the Peterborough Examiner.

Hmm, there were so many highlights of TestFest, it would be hard to single out just one... but for me, it was a huge thrill to take out a black, Darth Vader-looking Magnum SRT-8.